Hi Fiends!

New to Fort Fiends, but I've been a secret follower for a couple of years now  ::)   Our family of four visits WDW every year; for the past few years we've stayed at Ft Wilderness.  We actually just got back from our last visit 2am this morning!  Had a great trip...VERY hot weather and all.  One year we rented a cabin, last year we rented an RV and this year we stayed in our tent.

I have two questions that I was hoping to get some feedback on.   First was regarding pop up campers.  For those of you who have owned one, would love to get some feedback from you.  We have a Honda van so our towing capacity is limited (as are our funds); for this reason we are looking at purchasing a pop up camper.  I'm curious if they leak or if there is a lot of wind noise?  We would purchase a unit with a/c (both to keep us cool and to hopefully help with outside noise as I am a light sleeper).

Second question is regarding other campgrounds.  Disney's campsite is very nice and we would like to stay at similar style campgrounds...nationwide (currently we live in the Atlanta area).  When I was growing up, my family would camp at KOA's; are those still nice?  Is there a magazine out there (or website) that provides some great information?  We have two little ones under the age of 7.  No pets.

Any feedback received would be MUCH appreciated.  Knowing that we all appreciate Ft Wilderness makes me confident in your responses.  Thank you fiends!!

First of all WELCOME!!!!!

KOAs are pretty good, and there are LOTS of campgrounds all over the country that are great for popup camping.  You have Stone Mountain practically in your backyard that is really nice and has lots of activities. You also have the Smokies nearby. Cloudland Canyon is a great campground if you like hiking. In Georgia, there are also some really nice Lake Lanier campgrounds.

With a mini-van check your towing capacity carefully, lots of popups can exceed the towing capacity of mini-vans easily.

WeCampHere.com is a good resource for researching campgrounds, so is the Good Sam website

We have a Jayco 806 popup. Basic model with a/c. I removed the sink and stove, added microwave and dorm refrigerator that we set on counter because we needed more room that camper came with. We do our cooking outside unless bad weather and then nuke something. We have a/c and would not have one without a/c. It covers outside noise and also keeps the humidity down in the camper. It covers noise so well that we had a campsite right by the bus stop a few times 1501 once and the bus noise did not brother us at all.

Am pulling with a 6 cylinder pickup and a minivan, don't even feel it back there. If you have any question, let me know.

From the Atlanta area as well.  You will love Georgia State Parks as well as Army Corps of Engineers Campgrounds (most of the lakes - Allatoona, Lanier, etc).  Many waterfront, and well suited to pop-ups.  Also, much cheaper than KOA's in general.  It is hard to replicate the Fort.

Welcome!  We are just south of you in Macon.  We, too, have 2 kids and a tent but are hoping to own a pup in the not too distant future.  Lots of people on here will have great advice.  We are banking it and doing a bit of research on our own - we will be renting one from fellow Fiend Curt for a long weekend at the Fort in January.  He has owned different kinds and could tell you pros and cons of various brands. 

Glad you decided to hop on board!

Welcome!

I have a 2002 Coleman/Fleetwood Bayside Popup Camper that I tow with a 2004 Honda Odyssey.  The Popup GVWR is 3250#.  The van's towing capacity is 3500#.  I have weighed and reweighed these things over the years fully packed and we sometimes tow right at capacity of the van.  I put a Reese 350 mini weight distributing hitch which has built in sway control.  We have towed from Middle Tennessee to Richmond,VA, The Great Smoky Mountains, WDW multiple times.  We have had no problems.  The 2000-2003 Honda Vans have a weak transmission that was corrected in the 2004 and later versions.  I recommend you read about towing with the Honda Vans at www.odyclub.com.  There will be more information there than you want to know. 

I will say our van has performed beautifully over the last 8 years we have towing with it.  Make sure you van has the tow package, a weight distributing hitch and brake controller and I think you will be happy.

We have an AC in our camper and works great especially when we use bunk end covers called popup gizmos you can get these at popupexplorer.com.  It stays good and cool.  We also use a small home dehumidifier in really damp conditions to keep the sheets good and dry.  The tenting does blow around a big wind storms just like a tent so that is loud.  However most other noises are easily covered by the AC.  We have camped for 2 weeks at a time in the popup and love it!

Welcome again!

Another fellow Atlantan here! We live north of Marietta and camp at Lake Allatoona a good bit (Mckinney is a good one ran by Army Corp) Stone Mountain is nice as well, and we really enjoy Cloudland Canyon up near Chattanooga. I had a pop up years ago and really enjoyed it, we now have a 5th wheel and 3 kids and the extra room is needed and nice! Welcome to the site there are some great people here! 

We usually always stop at red top mountain state park which is north of Atlanta every yer on the way to the smokies. I think it's on Altoona lake. The park is so nice along with he lake. The sites are vey wooded and different elevations. IMHO you wont find anything like ft wilderness. Welcome to the bunch

We usually always stop at red top mountain state park which is north of Atlanta every yer on the way to the smokies. I think it's on Altoona lake. The park is so nice along with he lake. The sites are vey wooded and different elevations. IMHO you wont find anything like ft wilderness. Welcome to the bunch

Totally agree with Starbuc71 our first Fort trip was just a week ago to be exact and there is NOTHING like it! That is why I am currently making arrangements to get back ASAP! LOL! 

I would give Nick Adams at Peco Campers (just east of ATL) a call. They are a family run honest camper dealer. They usually have lots of inventory and will be happy to sit down and discuss your needs and tow vehicle with no pressure.

Thanks again!  Lots of great information.  I agree....I think it would be pretty tough to beat the Fort.  Wish it was closer but...can't complain too much as it's not too tough from Atlanta.  Thanks YENSIDCAMPER, your post was very helpful.  Appreciate the recommendation Tim on Nick at Peco Campers.  May consider that but will probably used from a private owner to get the best deal.  Money is tight so, we need to search things out carefully.

Hope to meet some of you at the Fort next year!

Welcome.    :insanity:  

We're also from the Atlanta area, in sight of the Stone Mountain Park.  I have only visited the campground twice, both for GG's on Memorial Day weekends, but they do have access to the park activities.  KOA has a good catalog of their locations.  If you have a membership number they will send you one, or I believe you can still pick one up at any KOA campground.  I do a lot of parts shopping at Peco's and have looked at their trailer inventory.  They don't deal in motorhomes, but do have or can get parts.  I haven't owned...ok once owned a pup, but only until a relative bought it from us... but they can vary greatly in size, weight, and amenities.  Some now even have slides.  Be sure your TV can handle the weight. (That's tow vehicle, not television.)  Be sure to post your search results on the Fiends forum.

I would give Nick Adams at Peco Campers (just east of ATL) a call. They are a family run honest camper dealer. They usually have lots of inventory and will be happy to sit down and discuss your needs and tow vehicle with no pressure.

We bought our Sunnybrook from Peco Campers. Nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks again!  Lots of great information.  I agree....I think it would be pretty tough to beat the Fort.  Wish it was closer but...can't complain too much as it's not too tough from Atlanta.  Thanks YENSIDCAMPER, your post was very helpful.  Appreciate the recommendation Tim on Nick at Peco Campers.  May consider that but will probably used from a private owner to get the best deal.  Money is tight so, we need to search things out carefully.

Hope to meet some of you at the Fort next year!

There is a lot to be said for buying from a trusted dealer.  They have used units, will tell you how to operate things and many times give you some warranty. 

Buy private and you are on your own.