Okay.... so I'm the country mouse and my DH, he's the city mouse.  I'd camp again in a tent (even with 2 small children and the hot FL sun) but for my DH...once was enough  :laugh:   However, I have convinced my beautiful man that camping really is a wonderful family activity and if we have a camper... then that's not "really" camping.

So...we're now on the search for a decent TT and truck (both used).  We know almost nothing about TTs, but are learning and we're in the same boat with trucks and towing (I mean...who knew that so much was involved with towing a camper?!). Here we are in our early/mid 40's and just now trying to figure this out  :laugh:

My question to you 'all, is your opinion on the best "little" truck (we're looking for the most cost effective in purchase price and gas mileage). Our plan is to purchase a trailer that is 30' or less.  My husband seems to be leaning towards a Dodge or a Ford.

Thoughts??

You need to find out how much that trailer will weigh fully loaded then buy a truck that is rated to pull at least 20% more then that. Then your towing experience will be less stressfull. Really I would not buy less then a 3/4 ton truck pulling a 30' trailer. I have had both ford and dodge trucks and I feel ford makes a better quality truck.

We have been going through this for the past few years,  we are on our third of each and we finally got it right!  Its really personal and will vary greatly on your family.  We have two small kids as well so feel free to chat me up on anything that you may question.  Beware of the salesman with both truck and trailer.  We were dooped by both which led to some major frustrations.  Do your research, google everything!

I would first say, get the idea of a little truck and gas mileage out of your head, the size and gas mileage are not the main considerations in towing, its the capacity and safety that are your main concern. A salesman or private owner will give you a line that this can be towed with this or that, THEY WANT TO SELL YOU SOMETHING. Do your research before even thinking of buying either a TT or truck. Ask plenty of questions here and anywhere else you need to, there is stupid questions when it comes to safety. There are plenty of people on this site that have done things with trucks and trailers to know what they are talking about, and if they are blowing smoke someone will chime in to correct it or at least debate it.

Here is how I calculate.....

Take the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Tow Vehicle (GCWR), then fill the truck up with your entire family, a full tank of gas, and anything else you might put in the bed, then get it weighed. The subtract that weight from the GCWR. For example, if you have a 15K GCWR and your loaded vehicle only weight is 6K, then the "max" your trailer can weigh is 9K.

When looking at the trailer, look at the Gross Weight rating. That is the empty weight, plus whatever you put in the trailer when on the road. Most empty trailer weights don't include water, propane, battery, or any addons you order from the dealer.

My personal theory...You can never have too much truck.

There is great wisdom is this short sentence. Spend a little extra, spread yourself a little thin, and enjoy safe vacations for many years.

Personal opinions (not facts, just opinions)

Get a diesel - power, longevity, and mileage are significant differentiators

Ford - I've had great luck with this brand. Others have had great luck with Chevys and Dodge. They are all fairly close, so go with preference

Super Duty - kind of like buying an umbrella insurance policy. Do you have to have it....no. Does it protect you a bit more...yes

Full disclosure: I have a 2011 F250 turbo diesel. I couldn't afford it when I bought it, but knew it was the right thing to do for the future vacations I wanted to have. After 3 years, people make jokes that they will only be able to pry those keys out of my cold dead hands.

Here is how I calculate.....

Take the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Tow Vehicle (GCWR), then fill the truck up with your entire family, a full tank of gas, and anything else you might put in the bed, then get it weighed. The subtract that weight from the GCWR. For example, if you have a 15K GCWR and your loaded vehicle only weight is 6K, then the "max" your trailer can weigh is 9K.

When looking at the trailer, look at the Gross Weight rating. That is the empty weight, plus whatever you put in the trailer when on the road. Most empty trailer weights don't include water, propane, battery, or any addons you order from the dealer.

Thank you!  That's VERY helpful.  What about the hitch??  Is that already part of the trailer weight?

There is great wisdom is this short sentence. Spend a little extra, spread yourself a little thin, and enjoy safe vacations for many years.

Personal opinions (not facts, just opinions)

Get a diesel - power, longevity, and mileage are significant differentiators

Ford - I've had great luck with this brand. Others have had great luck with Chevys and Dodge. They are all fairly close, so go with preference

Super Duty - kind of like buying an umbrella insurance policy. Do you have to have it....no. Does it protect you a bit more...yes

Full disclosure: I have a 2011 F250 turbo diesel. I couldn't afford it when I bought it, but knew it was the right thing to do for the future vacations I wanted to have. After 3 years, people make jokes that they will only be able to pry those keys out of my cold dead hands.

Thanks!  Diesel though...?  My DH will drive this truck to work and we'll only use it to tow the TT 3 or 4 times a year (in other words, not a work truck).  Is a diesel still a good idea given the cost?

Thank you!  That's VERY helpful.  What about the hitch??  Is that already part of the trailer weight?

Thanks!  Diesel though...?  My DH will drive this truck to work and we'll only use it to tow the TT 3 or 4 times a year (in other words, not a work truck).  Is a diesel still a good idea given the cost?

Hitch weight will go against the GVWR of the truck. For example, if your truck has a 15k GCWR and a 7k GVWR and the fully loaded truck without trailer weighed 6k, you would have 1000lb of payload available for the hitch weight and a total trailer weight of 9k available.

If you plan on long trips with a decent sized trailer diesel would be my choice. Generally, diesel trucks hold their value better. So the cost is recouped at the time of sale.

People always joke that diesels are only getting broken in around 100,000 miles. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know if any truth behind that.

My very limited real world experience. 3 or 4 trips to Fort pulling a 30 foot TT with a F150 5.4 gasser = 4-5 MPG. Same trip/trailer with my diesel, I got 11-12 MPG. Diesel fuel is a bit more expensive, so some of the benefit is eroded. No tail wagging the dog, and the transmission hardly ever downshifted.

All the braking and towing stuff aside if your comparing straight out good truck vs bad. I would have to say Toyota is your best bet out there. Die hard Chevy and ford guys will hate me, but I had owned tundras and tacomas back and forth and they were all great trucks. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton diesel that is what I would be driving now. Had to buy a Chevy 2500 for the weight, towing and braking. I love this truck but miss the Toyota quality

We just got a 2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew LT, its a base model work truck, but has the engine power we need to pull safely.  We looked for a diesel but it was going to be more than we could afford and the 2500 is my grocery getter.  The diesels we found were older but the same price, hubs wanted the diesel but also didn't want me to deal with maintenance on top of him being deployed constantly.  I love my truck, I feel safe, I know my kids are safer and it tows safely.  I happen to love Chevy/GMC but most heavy duty/HD trucks have a good reputation.  

30 ft is a big trailer. Are you looking at an ultra light?

Does that sound large?  We're having a tough time finding something under 30' that has a slide and a nice size bunk area.  Maybe 29' but... any suggestions smaller would be welcomed!   :thumbsup1:

Does that sound large? We're having a tough time finding something under 30' that has a slide and a nice size bunk area. Maybe 29' but... any suggestions smaller would be welcomed!

We have a Four Winds 28 GSL travel trailer.

It has a smaller slide. No separate bunk room, but does have a single bunk over a double bed. The reason we chose it over one with 2 bunkbed sets is the bathroom was larger.

When we bought it my kids were 5, 6, and 11. They are now 11, 12 and 17. Size wise it still technically works for us.

Probably not.   I would go with a V8.  People Salesmen will say a six will pull, but at the top of the hill you'll be glad you went with the 8.  I have a diesel that gets used as a daily driver and it is EXPENSIVE!  Go with a make you like, four door (for the kids), and matched to your trailer.  If you can swing it a Fifth Wheel (FW) is easier and more comfortable to tow.

Does that sound large?  We're having a tough time finding something under 30' that has a slide and a nice size bunk area.  Maybe 29' but... any suggestions smaller would be welcomed!   :thumbsup1:

Look at Heartland RVs.  They have several FW & TT Bunk House units.  They have made them long enough, there are used units available.

Probably not.   I would go with a V8.  People Salesmen will say a six will pull, but at the top of the hill you'll be glad you went with the 8.  I have a diesel that gets used as a daily driver and it is EXPENSIVE!  Go with a make you like, four door (for the kids), and matched to your trailer.  If you can swing it a Fifth Wheel (FW) is easier and more comfortable to tow.

I have to beg to differ about a diesel being an expensive daily driver. I have a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.6 diesel which I drive an average 50-60 miles a day. I get almost 6 more mpg than my old v8

I found this on craiglist:   2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 2WD with the well known Power Stroke diesel engine. This truck has only 62,000 miles and is in near immaculate condition. It's the Lariat package with leather, two-toned paint, all power, running boards, 5th wheel hitch, spray in bedliner and more. My asking price is $13,250 

Thoughts??