I have to beg to differ about a diesel being an expensive daily driver. I have a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.6 diesel which I drive an average 50-60 miles a day. I get almost 6 more mpg than my old v8

Agreed. They've really improved diesel tech. Drove my kid back to Mizzou last weekend. All highway miles and no wind helped me to get 20.6 (hand calc'd) mpg. Stop and go around town and falls off to 15-16. Not great but not bad for a big 'ole truck. All big 3 manufactures have worked hard on their diesel programs.

I found this on craiglist:   2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 2WD with the well known Power Stroke diesel engine. This truck has only 62,000 miles and is in near immaculate condition. It's the Lariat package with leather, two-toned paint, all power, running boards, 5th wheel hitch, spray in bedliner and more. My asking price is $13,250 

Thoughts??

that is a great truck. If you can't buy a 2011 or newer ford diesel then I would want a 99-02 with the 7.3 diesel some 03 had a 7.3 in them but very few. 03-07 had the 6.0 diesel. To own a 6.0 diesel you need to be more of a gear head and willing to fix what Ford didn't. I had a 2000 f350 diesel drove it 6 years 150,000 miles never had a problem with it I traded it in on a 05 and always missed my 2000. Untill I got my 2012.

Oh post a link to that truck if there is a pic of it.

I found this on craiglist:   2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 2WD with the well known Power Stroke diesel engine. This truck has only 62,000 miles and is in near immaculate condition. It's the Lariat package with leather, two-toned paint, all power, running boards, 5th wheel hitch, spray in bedliner and more. My asking price is $13,250 

Thoughts??

I think it would be great for what you need.  Personally, we won't have a truck w/o 4WD but that because we like mud and woods.

We own a 2011 F350 Crew cab dually. Best truck I've ever owned. We pull a Keystone Montana 5er that is 38' long like it's not even back there.

We pull a 40' Fleetwood Fuel toyhauler with the same truck. Open interstate? I can almost forget I'm towing. And our last trip from PA to the fort we got just over 10 mpg, towing 16,000.

We pull a 40' Fleetwood Fuel toyhauler with the same truck. Open interstate? I can almost forget I'm towing. And our last trip from PA to the fort we got just over 10 mpg, towing 16,000.

What towing speed and gear ratio?

I know that the 6.7's get better mileage than the 6.4's, but I was hoping that it would be better than the 6.0 too.

I get 10-11 mpg towing our 40' 16k toyhauler at 62-65 mph with my 6.0 with 4.10 gears.

I actually did have a situation where I bought a diesel but preferred gas.  I was in the in-between weight of a 1500 vs 2500 and went with the 08' Ram diesel 2500.  Problem was that I only drive 5 miles to and from work and the truck would barely warm up by the time I would reach the office.  This is suicide for a diesel and especially so for the newer generation with the increased emissions.  If you keep the truck primarily for towing or your daily drive has significant distance and speed, then it shouldn't be an issue.  Also, my truck was virtually no different in mileage towing or not compared to the 1500 gas.  It sure did tow nice though and I really enjoyed the heavier duty, power, and larger fuel tank!  We tow a 30' bunkhouse with a slide.

What towing speed and gear ratio?

I know that the 6.7's get better mileage than the 6.4's, but I was hoping that it would be better than the 6.0 too.

I get 10-11 mpg towing our 40' 16k toyhauler at 62-65 mph with my 6.0 with 4.10 gears.

With my 6.0 I got 5-6 mpg running 70 mph. With my 6.7 I get 10 running 75mph 3:55 in my 6.7 that's as low as it gets with a srw. My 6.0 came with a 3:73 which later I swaped out and put in 4:30 didn't change the mpg at all but I could pull the hills at posted speed limits then.

Just my 2 cents but if your looking for nice light weight TT for a 1/2 ton truck, I would at least look at the cruiser RV line. I know they are not one of the big 4 companies but we had a fun finder by cruiser and it was a great light trailer. The prices are also pretty good

Also try to pick a trailer that is aerodynamic. With lower wind resistance it will tow much better not taking away as much power from the motor and save mpg. If you read fords towing guide it talks about how towing capabilities are reduced by larger square footage trailer fronts.

:whew:My gosh, this is A LOT of information.  I'm tired. Thanks for the responses though!!!  

My DH really didn't want a diesel; I don't really care (as long as it doesn't stink).  He liked the Toyota Tundra.

While I am not a Toyota fan the people I know with a tundra really like them and say they tow well.

We spent the winter on the west coast and the Toyota is the tow vehicle of choice for a lot of people out there towing light TTs.  We saw several towing trailers I would guess exceeded 30 ft.  If you consider a Toyota, keep in mind all the things everyone has told you so far about weights, etc.  Just because it towed a space shuttle in an advertisement doesn't make it a good choice for you. But I'd hesitate to rule it out of consideration.  One thing I haven't seen in this thread is to make sure you have weight distributing bars and some type of anti-sway device.  (So if it was mentioned, I missed it & I apologize, btw.)  Getting that stuff on and set up correctly makes traveling along side 18-wheelers down an interstate a lot more comfortable with a TT.

As for a trailer:  I recommend momma pick the trailer and then find a tow vehicle to carry it.  Just ensure the tires on the trailer are rated for the trailer.  As an example, the trailer will have a sticker telling you the size tires it should have on it.  So if the sticker says "E" rated tires, ensure you have "E" rated (or higher) tires on the trailer.   

As for the truck itself, I personally wouldn't get a diesel unless I needed it.  Diesel fuel doesn't evaporate, so most diesel pumps are dirty. I carry a pair of gloves just to handle the diesel pump.  Several have posted here who have the newer clean diesel technology, and they don't mention it as an issue.  So if you do look at a diesel, try to look for those that also use diesel exhaust fluid (look for the acronym DEF) or go to an older diesel that's doesn't have clean diesel emissions - something others have already recommended in this thread.

After all that, I recommend you go and have fun.  David 

Let me tell you which truck is the best for you. Find one that is able to do what you want, that is in your price range, that you can get serviced close to you by a good business, that you can find parts for locally, and that is comfortable to sit in and drive. Make sure you get enough truck to handle the load you will want to haul. All brands have good trucks now. I recommend at least a 2500 to pull a TT.

Let me tell you which truck is the best for you. Find one that is able to do what you want, that is in your price range, that you can get serviced close to you by a good business, that you can find parts for locally, and that is comfortable to sit in and drive. Make sure you get enough truck to handle the load you will want to haul. All brands have good trucks now. I recommend at least a 2500 to pull a TT.

Totally agree. Everyone has their own opinion and brand of choice. I was Leary of a diesel for an everyday driver since we only pull the TT 4-5 times a year. I will say now I love it