Linda and I have both noticed that since using an ECV/wheelchair no longer lets people by-pass the waiting lines there seems to be alot less rental ECV's in use. We noticed it both at the MK and AK. Today at AK we had fast passes that we used on the Safari and when we got to the handicap loading platform there were zero Disney ECVs. When we pulled out the Safari Vehicle was not even 1/2 full and the regular standby time was running 60 minutes. Never before has that happened in all the years we have visited. The same at FOTLK, only 2 or 3 Disney ECV's when there are usually at least a dozen.

Last week at MK the handicap viewing area for the parade at Town Square also had 0 Disney ECV's and the number running around the park were definitely lower than past years.

As I commented before I really feel many "able bodied" guests were using them just to "get ahead" as probably many did with the GAC. Personally I think the new system is reducing the abuse. JMHO

Sounds like a positive development.  For everyone except the Walker Scooter rental place.

Those are still there in numbers, but I think the vast majority of those are legitimate users. The Disney ECV's usage is what seems to have declined and I think that was more abuse than need. Again JMHO

Those are still there in numbers, but I think the vast majority of those are legitimate users. The Disney ECV's usage is what seems to have declined and I think that was more abuse than need. Again JMHO

I guess that makes sense.  Someone with a legitimate need would be more likely to research and reserve prior to their vacation, and would be more likely to use an off-site place.  Someone who thinks it's a great idea to fake a disability and rent an ECV to skip lines would just rent at the park that day.  It's not like they would need the ECV to get back to their resort and get around at DTD or anything. 

Linda and I have both noticed that since using an ECV/wheelchair no longer lets people by-pass the waiting lines there seems to be alot less rental ECV's in use. We noticed it both at the MK and AK. Today at AK we had fast passes that we used on the Safari and when we got to the handicap loading platform there were zero Disney ECVs. When we pulled out the Safari Vehicle was not even 1/2 full and the regular standby time was running 60 minutes. Never before has that happened in all the years we have visited. The same at FOTLK, only 2 or 3 Disney ECV's when there are usually at least a dozen.

Last week at MK the handicap viewing area for the parade at Town Square also had 0 Disney ECV's and the number running around the park were definitely lower than past years.

As I commented before I really feel many "able bodied" guests were using them just to "get ahead" as probably many did with the GAC. Personally I think the new system is reducing the abuse. JMHO

I completely agree.  I always feel a little bad thinking that way, but sometimes it was pretty evident that the ECV wasn't something the dr. ordered.  And, I wondered how people could do that in good conscience?

As others have said, I hope the people who truly need that assistance still get to enjoy the parks and not get gipped because of the abusers.

While at Disneyland witing for Rita and OldeKoot to get out of the restroom, a young woman wheeled an older gentleman up in a wheelchair. He hopped up and almost ran to the men's room. When he came out, SHE sat down in the wheelchair, and HE pushed her. Which one needed the Disney rental chair?

The perception, and the hassle with buses, is why DH didn't go into the parks at all during the five weeks we were there last summer. With all his medical issues we own his ecv. He can walk as long as it's a short distance, there's no curb or step, and he's not standing more than 15-20 minutes.

Even after 5 yrs, it's still hard for the girls and I to remember not to go up the curb to get into the restaurant or mall when he's with us. Curbs are everywhere, and a part of life you don't normally even think about, but they're impossible for him even though he can walk. The looks he got at times when parking the ecv to get on a ride or after boarding the bus made him uncomfortable. I'd love to see that perception change for good...

While at Disneyland witing for Rita and OldeKoot to get out of the restroom, a young woman wheeled an older gentleman up in a wheelchair. He hopped up and almost ran to the men's room. When he came out, SHE sat down in the wheelchair, and HE pushed her. Which one needed the Disney rental chair?

The obvious answer is....that bathroom has HEALING POWERS!! 

I'll just say this for our scooter, Rick uses it for stamina issues, BUT sitting in the scooter all day causes him to be stiff and stove up, so walking some is good for him, so I will drive the scooter around some. Also, for some of the attractions, such as Kilimanjaro safaris and Haunted Mansion, it is easier for us to just park the scooter and walk in the queue, so that may be some of it.

What's with the funny looking "s" in the title of this thread?

I keep thinking I've got a smudge on my monitor.

TCD

Damn tablet BLUETOOTH key board sneaks those "goofy" letters in every now and then, missed that one.

Fixed it..

Sounds like good news.

The abuse and perception was why Jason was so hesitant to use one when he knee was out of commission.

The perception part is really sad.  Yes, I think a lot of people abuse the system.  Yes, I think there are a lot of people in the parks with ECVs and/or wheelchairs that don't need them.  

But there are people who legitimately need these forms of transportation, and Disney guests can be very unkind to them.

In 2008 we had to cancel a trip to the fort because I fell down stairs going off our deck to the RV port.  I had surgery for a torn meniscus on October 31, 2008.

So we decided to go to the fort to celebrate my 60th birthday in November, 2009.  The second evening we were there, I fell in the MK.  Spectro was beginning, the lights were turned down, and I stepped down from a curb I didn't see.  My bad knee just gave away on me.  I spent the remainder of the trip in a wheelchair b/c it was too painful to walk.  Turned out that I had bruised my tibia.

I was embarrassed to be in a wheelchair.  I was embarrassed to get on a bus and have everyone waiting while my chair was strapped in.  Navigation in the parks was difficult.  Ever notice the U-turns you have to make to get into a restroom?  They are really hard in a wheelchair.   Disney isn't as handicapped-accessible as one might think.

But the worst part was how I was treated by other Disney guests.  I had bandages on my leg, so obviously I needed the chair.  But I was pushed and shoved.  I was continually walked in front of.  It seemed like most of the people had an attitude of "get out of my way, old lady!"

The best part?  Disney employees went out of their way to make my birthday special!  One day David and I were sitting in the garden at UK when Pooh and Tigger came out of a gate with their handler on the way to a meet and greet.  The handler saw me sitting there and had brought the characters to see me.

2009-11-19-Me.jpg

That was a special Disney moment!

As most of you know I have back issues big time.   In 2009 I went into the hospital for a spinal fusion.  The surgeon did it in two parts 5 days apart.  Did great and within a week I was home.  About my 3rd or 4th day home Ken noticed a drainage from my back so off to the surgeon's office we went.  She sent us straight to the hospital.....horrible hospital acquired infection apparently.  I was hospitalized for another 5 weeks and had 5 more back surgeries to try and clean out the infection, which was now in the bone, and then 1 to permanently close the back.  I almost died.  Came home from the hospital in October and headed for Disney in early December.  I came to Disney with a PICC line in my arm and had to have IV medications 3 times a day.  Ken also had to draw blood from the site and ship it off once a week. 

There were days I did not feel like walking all over the parks but I did it pushing a wheel child with Shawnee in it.  Ken wanted me to get an ECV but I said no way.   If I could not walk I would stay at the Fort.  I know there were many people there who needed a chair or ECV much less than I did but I could not in clear conscience use one.

Sometimes I think those who fake needing a chair or ECV should have to suffer an injury that would require one and then let them see what it is like being confined to one.  We would love for our children to be able to walk and even run in the parks and yet there are people who hate seeing them being given any special attention at all.  I will say those have been very few because most of the guests go out of their way to let ours up in line or anything they can think of to help us.

I guess as long as there are humans in this old world there will be those who abuse everything.

Mama hats the wheelchair. She cries. She can walk, but there is no way for her to do a park without it.

For the most part the CM's have been awesome. Yesterday I decided I was just going to stay the course and if idiots kept walking across in front of us then they would just gettripped up. I didn't do it, but I wanted to.

I think 99.9% of the dirty looks would go away if there wasn't so much abuse. Everyone has seen obvious abuse so it makes you skeptical of everyone who does not have an obvious need. Not saying that's right it's just human nature.

I wish you were right but I feel that there are people out there that feel they are better than everyone else and they don't care if your in a wheel chair. They deserve to go first and you need to get out of their way. I can't tell you how many times I've held the door open for someone and they just walk thru with their node in the air and don't even acknowledge me, and heaven forbid they say thank you.

I can't tell you how many times I've held the door open for someone and they just walk thru with their node in the air and don't even acknowledge me, and heaven forbid they say thank you.

I always say your welcome loud enough for them to hear it and once in a while one might turn and say Oh I'm sorry thank you or once my son held the door for a elderly person and they just ignored him and he said to me they did not say thank you, so I told him that's ok at least I know you have manners BOY DID I GET A NASTY LOOK !!!!!!!!!!

I always say your welcome loud enough for them to hear it and once in a while one might turn and say Oh I'm sorry thank you or once my son held the door for a elderly person and they just ignored him and he said to me they did not say thank you, so I told him that's ok at least I know you have manners BOY DID I GET A NASTY LOOK !!!!!!!!!!

Lol!

If my DW isn't with me I've actually walked after them, tapped them on the shoulder and tell them "your welcome, it was my pleasure holding the door for you."

My DW says I'm going to get punched one of these times but I don't care. I've got a great doctor and a better lawyer. Lol!

You folks griping about folks walking in front of wheelchairs need to know that it's not just you that people are walking in front of.

People don't have manners anymore.

When I'm in the parks, people constantly just step right in front of me.  A lot of the time, they're walking along looking at their damned smart phones.  Ignoring everything else around them, including their own families. 

It's a different world, and it is getting worse and worse.

TCD