You folks griping about folks walking in front of wheelchairs need to know that it's not just you that people are walking in front of.

People don't have manners anymore.

When I'm in the parks, people constantly just step right in front of me.  A lot of the time, they're walking along looking at their damned smart phones.  Ignoring everything else around them, including their own families. 

It's a different world, and it is getting worse and worse.

TCD

and it is not just in the parks.  I see and experience similar things every day. 

On the bright side, I also get Hi and Thank you from a lot of people...sadly they seem to mostly be people my age or more.  I used to  tell my kids, and now tell my grandkids, that they are the only person they can control, so don't worry about those they can't control.

• 1 month later...

I am really hoping that my son doesn't get dirty looks. He has a chronic illness and rarely leaves the house now, many days just getting out of bed is difficult. We are still planning on our Disney vacation because we are all looking forward to it and honestly I am hoping getting out and being a normal teenager will help. He is easily fatigued so while he can walk I don't want him walking all over the parks so we will be getting a wheelchair. I thought about ordering off site but he will only really need it while in the parks. I am sure some people will give us snotty looks but frankly I don't care, I just don't want it to ruin the trip for him. I doubt we will be getting an assistance pass though because we aren't going at a busy time of year and we will just plan accordingly. If he gets to exhausted in line, he can just sit on the ground. :)

I am sure some people will give us snotty looks

The snotty looks are usually for people on scooters.

However some people pushing a WC use it to clear the way in crowds, same for strollers, and that's an issue.

You mentioned doubting getting an assistance pass, just a quick update in case you aren't aware of it.

The GAC, "Guest Assistance Card", has been replaced by the "DAS", "Disability Access Service" card.

As with the GAC, the DAS is also for people with non-apparent disabilities, and works very differently than the GAC.

I am really hoping that my son doesn't get dirty looks. He has a chronic illness and rarely leaves the house now, many days just getting out of bed is difficult. We are still planning on our Disney vacation because we are all looking forward to it and honestly I am hoping getting out and being a normal teenager will help. He is easily fatigued so while he can walk I don't want him walking all over the parks so we will be getting a wheelchair. I thought about ordering off site but he will only really need it while in the parks. I am sure some people will give us snotty looks but frankly I don't care, I just don't want it to ruin the trip for him. I doubt we will be getting an assistance pass though because we aren't going at a busy time of year and we will just plan accordingly. If he gets to exhausted in line, he can just sit on the ground. :)

I would really suggest getting him a scooter. We almost did the wheelchair when DH was awaiting knee surgery. People told me that the parks have more hills than you think, so we went with the scooter. I paid more attention to the number of hills that trip, and they were right. It would be exhausting for the person pushing him. We used Apple, and I thought the cost was pretty reasonable.

I agree with Kelly. We push wheelchairas for our special needs tweens. We also don't stay in the parks very long and make use of benches often. Pushing a wheelchair can really wear you down if you plan to stay in parks for several hours.

I thought about doing a scooter but I have a few questions. We would need to rent from an outside company because he is under 18 and I know he can't use the Disney ones. I just don't know where we would keep it at camp. Are they light enough to pick up and put in the back of our suburban or should we just lock it up under our awning? I also don't know if he will have the stamina to drive himself around. I worry about his getting exhausted especially if it's warm. He has been having issues with severe swelling of his limbs (as well as pain and weakness) and with a wheelchair either my husband or I will be in charge of pushing him around. And yeah I realize the assistance program has changed. I am not real worried about getting the time stamp and coming back although we are a family of 7 and I understand the limit is 6. Our youngest child is autistic though so if I get a card for my oldest then I will get one for the youngest also. Anyhow I am looking forward to this trip. I am hoping my son will bounce back soon. With his sickness he can have really good days and really bad days. We have 8 days until we leave, fingers crossed that he will be doing better. 

The one we got came apart in a couple of pieces for loading. We just parked it outside and covered it. Those ones from the outside companies are much nicer and narrower than Disney's. AKA easier to move around. If he becomes too tired to drive though, I'm not sure what you'd be able to do.

• 3 weeks later...

To those reluctant to use assistance devices:  Do be reluctant.  You are paying for your vacation.  You deserve to play that out in as much comfort as your condition allows...whether it is a temporary or permanent condition.  You do not need to be put in the position of being a burden just because you are bull headed or embarrassed.  Let the detractors, the bad looks, and the snide comments slide off.  We could not take our kids to WDW without their wheelchairs, and we had a great deal of trouble without our chairlift on this past trip.  We will definitely have it for the next trip.  These conveniences are often necessities.  Use what you need.  Go about your enjoyment and ignore or smile at the detractors.  

Yes! What Ken said!

I personally didn't get a DAS card this trip because I was being bullheaded and didn't want to explain my limitations.

Besides, The gal at guest relations told me since I have mobility issues I wouldn't qualify for a DAS and i can just use the regular lines and if I get tired and I'm in pain I could use one of their complimentary wheelchairs at the attraction. Or she suggested I rent a wheelchair or scooter. I said thank you and left. I did ok mainly because we didn't do any attractions that had long wait times. (I can walk ok.( for me it's mainly standing or sitting for a long time.).

The only thing that bothered me is that my DD(9) had to skip riding Goofys barnstormer because of me.

As we approached GB, the wait time 45 or 50

Minutes we asked the CM if my DW could stand in my place with DD and when they got to the front if I could switch with her. After explaining my situation to her she said no and I should go get a DAS. I told her what the CM at gust relations told me and she said sorry. My sweet DD looks at me and says. "I don't like this ride anyways". Which is a lie. She loves it. I tell her it's no big deal and we will just wait in line in. And she say no she doesn't want to see me hurt. I was so proud of her as she took my hand and we walked to the train. Kids are great. Aren't they?

What was my point? Oh yeah. Do what ken said.

What Ken said ... in spades! I was in denial about my problems until I started falling. I haven't enjoyed 'running' so much in a couple of years. I'm still being stubborn about getting a standard wheelchair, but my racing chair has been a life changing experience.

I had one of the other handcycle racers make a comment about "another walker" when I arrived with my chair. Another wheelchair racer asked me about my disability. When I told her, she said it must be rough appearing able while having a hidden issue. When she said that, it shook the other racer.

Don't let others force you to make a bad decision - do what's best for you.

What Ken said ... in spades! I was in denial about my problems until I started falling. I haven't enjoyed 'running' so much in a couple of years. I'm still being stubborn about getting a standard wheelchair, but my racing chair has been a life changing experience.

I had one of the other handcycle racers make a comment about "another walker" when I arrived with my chair. Another wheelchair racer asked me about my disability. When I told her, she said it must be rough appearing able while having a hidden issue. When she said that, it shook the other racer.

Don't let others force you to make a bad decision - do what's best for you.

I wish I would have taken yours and Ken's advice before our last trip. For my DD sake. But it's hard when people only see the "healthy" exterior and not the damaged interior.

If you were to see me you'd think I was a perfectly healthy man. Except for the spare tire around my waist. Lol.

I wish i could show those people, who give me a dirty look, my scars from my surgeries on my back and leg.

"The DAS card is for people who have no apparent illness?"....our children certainly have apparent issues but we got the DAS cards anyway. They took their picture for their card, put their name on them and asked about how many people would be with each one of them. So I guess you do have to have an obvious illness/injury to get the card?

Below is a direct quote from the Disney Parks Blog

"Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?

No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card.

Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations."

...Who gives a crap what they think? There's no reason to be miserable to impress some folks you'll never see again.

:bellringer:

Below is a direct quote from the Disney Parks Blog

"Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?

No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card.

Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations."

Which would be if the Guests only disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter. If other factors come into play besides strictly a mobility issue, then they may still qualify for a DAS, which is what that last sentence covers.

"The DAS card is for people who have no apparent illness?"

But it's not only for those people. It includes guests with a non-apparent disability, big difference.

Below is the wording Disney uses.

"The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities)."

So I guess you do have to have an obvious illness/injury to get the card?

Maybe I'm giving the CM too much credit, but it could be that after talking to you, and observing the situation, they conclude that the kids had a non-apparent disability, and did qualify even though they were in WCs.

Which would be if the Guests only disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter. If other factors come into play besides strictly a mobility issue, then they may still qualify for a DAS, which is what that last sentence covers.

Correct

If that's what the CM said, they were incorrect. 

If that's all they said, because it's incomplete, it's incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the Disney Shareholders meeting today. There was a question and answer session with Bob Iger. Jason Garcia from the Orlando Sentinel was tweeting as it was going on:

@Jason_Garcia: Parent of autistic kids asks Iger if Disney will revisit its recent policy change allowing front of the line access for special needs.

@Jason_Garcia: Iger doesn't directly answer, but says Disney didn't mean to take benefits away from those who truly need it.

@Jason_Garcia: Adds that if autistic kids can't wait in a 20-minute Fastpass line, Disney should accommodate. "We should be able to address that."

• 3 weeks later...

You knew it was just a matter of time ... http://www.dogalilaw.com/disney-autism-ada-lawsuit.html

I would like to point out that they are NOT complaining about limiting wheelchair access - It is only about Autism Spectrum and Developmental Disabilities special needs.