Trenary Toast Recipe

I recently read a book sent in the U.P. of Michigan and it referred to Trenary Toast. The characters would have it with their tea.  I'd not heard of it so I looked up the recipe.  It's really easy to make, a good way to use up bread nearing its expiration date, and is said to last for months.  I wouldn't know, though, because it hasn't lasted more that a couple days. 

Here is a link to a recipe I found online:

http://yooperrays.webs.com/apps/blog/show/prev?from_id=9648592

1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, cubed

6 slices white sandwich bread, or more as needed

½ cup sugar

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 325°F. If you want, line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. It makes clean up easier.

Put the butter into a pie plate or similar baking dish.Slide the dish into the oven, and keep an eye on it. You’re looking for thebutter to melt completely.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. Turn the cinnamon sugar out onto a dinner plate, or another pie plate.

When the butter is melted, remove it from the oven, and dip both sides of bread in the butter. Don’t be shy: apply the butter generously, so no spot is left uncoated. The bread should feel a little heavy in your hand. Dip the bread into the cinnamon sugar, taking care to coat both sides. Lay it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread.

Bake the toasts for about 25 minutes, until lightly browned.Transfer to a rack. The toasts will crisp as they cool. When cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Note: These taste best with a little age. When I tasted themon the day they were made, they were just okay, but by the next day, the flavors had come together nicely.

Changes I made to the recipe: 

Instead of dipping the bread in the melted butter, I brushed it on. 

One stick of butter will coat about 8 slices of bread.

I turned it over after baking for 15 minutes.  

I had a jar or pre-mixed McCormick Cinnamon Sugar that I usually use for cinnamon toast.  I used it instead of mixing my own. 

The second time I made this I used garlic butter instead of butter and cinnamon/sugar. Yum!  It was very good with a salad.  I think it would be good with soups, also. 

The third time I made it I used raisin bread.  It took a bit longer to bake.  I chaulked it up to the raisins adding moisture to the bread. 

This would be good for the kids to make. 

No

I am wondering how it keeps without getting moldy.  Does this somehow preserve it?  Just wondering how it would keep for months.

No clue. They turn out the consistency of croutons and they don't mold.  I've bought a similar product at Corner Bakery. They take their raisin bread, cut it really thin, sprinkle it with course sugar, and bake it. They get $6.99 a bag for it.  It seems to keep forever.

If you ever have unexpected guests drop by, whip up some of these, open a bottle of wine are you're set. 

I have to try this. 

PS:  I cut the bread used for the cinnamon toasts diagonally.  I cut the bread used for the garlic ones diagonally both ways to make smaller triangles.  Both worked well. 

I didn't say this above; but, I brushed both sides of the bread with the melted butter.