Lawnmower Tree.. officially all gone

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to boycott until we go back. 

With the continuing loss of amenities and the rising prices I think Pocaanus is more appropriate.

If it does end up for sale, it won't be purchased by any of the experts over at Voldy.  It appears that they do not believe the tree is actually gone.   :rofl3:

benches crafted from logs not faux wood

open space next to the MTP

reasonable nightly rates

trees and foliage native to the area between campsites

number of guests/cars/tents per site rule being enforced

Open space is now the pool

Was there ever a reason stated why they defoliated so much of the grounds?

I can understand taking down dead limbs/trees, but they just decimated the place.  At first I thought it was just the cabin area when we first saw the devistation, but now staying in the other loops I see how widespread it is.

They charge enough to pay for upkeep of the grounds, so that can't be the reason for cutting everything down.

I guess they don't want no stinkin wildlife at the Fort and want to make it concrete and plastic like the rest of the resorts.

Bring back the gate to get into the Fort itself.

You sure Harvey Updyke doesn't work at the Fort?

Wow, a Harvey Updyke reference!

Very good.

Probably not many know who he is.  Except the Auburn fans on here, of course.

I will miss the Lawnmower Tree, but you'd have to be blind to have not seen this coming.  I'm surprised they didn't rip it out sooner.

For those compiling lists of things that are no longer at the Fort, don't forget:

- hammocks on the beach.

-swing sets at the other playgrounds.  There used to be swings at the 300 loop playground.  And others.  Now, it's just at the settlement.

-the 1400 loop playground.

-the River Country wagon

-the second (double feature) movie at the campfire on Friday and Saturday nights.

And, the change that bothers me most: substituting Disney fries for the great steak fries that used to come with the GAG.

I get it that times change, and stuff doesn't last forever.  My beef is that they take stuff away, and don't replace it with anything.

TCD

That new breed of business school graduates are a callous bunch. I think I will boycott Disney at least for next year.

That new breed of business school graduates are a callous bunch. I think I will boycott Disney at least for next year.

I am halfway through my current boycott.  Let me tell you, these boycotts stink.  I haven't received one email or phone call from Doug Lord asking where I've been.  But my kids keep asking when we are going back.  I tell them to suck it up....Daddy's on a mission to bring the mouse to his knees. 

Wow, a Harvey Updyke reference!

Very good.

Probably not many know who he is.  Except the Auburn fans on here, of course.

I will miss the Lawnmower Tree, but you'd have to be blind to have not seen this coming.  I'm surprised they didn't rip it out sooner.

For those compiling lists of things that are no longer at the Fort, don't forget:

- hammocks on the beach.

-swing sets at the other playgrounds.  There used to be swings at the 300 loop playground.  And others.  Now, it's just at the settlement.

-the 1400 loop playground.

-the River Country wagon

-the second (double feature) movie at the campfire on Friday and Saturday nights.

And, the change that bothers me most: substituting Disney fries for the great steak fries that used to come with the GAG.

I get it that times change, and stuff doesn't last forever.  My beef is that they take stuff away, and don't replace it with anything.

TCD

C'mon TCD we now have

Wi-Fi,

two beautiful swimming pools,

the use of golf carts (even your own),

safe playgrounds (take away those killer swings)

and a SNARKY answer.

I miss all of the old amenities that made the Fort unique.

It's becoming more Disneyish and like the rest of the resorts... plastic and generic.

I'm surprised they haven't come up with some sort of Frontier Princess to display all over the Fort.

I'm surprised they haven't come up with some sort of Frontier Princess to display all over the Fort.

Seriously....wouldn't Pocahontas fit in with the wilderness atmosphere?  Well, maybe Sacajawea would be a better fit....and she's not a Disney Princess.  I can't think of any of the Princesses that would be a good fit at the Fort.   Except perhaps Mulan.  Wasn't the transcontinental roadroad constructed with Chinese labor? 

Let's just see how fast Doug Lord gets on the phone with me when the 3000 loop starts going to hell without my guidance.

Seriously....wouldn't Pocahontas fit in with the wilderness atmosphere?  Well, maybe Sacajawea would be a better fit....and she's not a Disney Princess.  I can't think of any of the Princesses that would be a good fit at the Fort.   Except perhaps Mulan.  Wasn't the transcontinental roadroad constructed with Chinese labor? 

I think they will have to come up with a new one.  Pocahontas has been out too long.  No lillte girl wants old princess toys.

Maybe someone like an Annie Oakley (but more PC can't have guns), or a made up western heroine that conquers the western expansion of the country single handedly!

They recently did Blonde (Rapunzel), red head (Merida), guess it's time for a platinum blonde or someone with multi colored hair.

I can understand taking down dead limbs/trees, but they just decimated the place.  At first I thought it was just the cabin area when we first saw the devistation, but now staying in the other loops I see how widespread it is.

They charge enough to pay for upkeep of the grounds, so that can't be the reason for cutting everything down.

Hmm- the quote function is acting up again.  I typed a reply and it didn't post.

See below.

TCD

update_zps325f81c4.jpg

I received this notice in November 2007.

By that time, to wilderness removal was in full swing.

This was followed by the conversion of the 400-1400 loops into premium campsites.

TCD

Also, to followup on what TCD posted, the vegetation has really started to grow back in nicely in the last couple of years. 

This is only my 4th year really spending any time at the Fort and it's unbelievable how different my photos are now compared to then. A lot of the shrubs and small trees they've planted have taken off finally.

I'd predict that things will be filled back in within 2 or so years. Looking at it the way it's stated, it's really setting the Fort up for long-term. It just wasn't pleasant in the very few years (relative to the Fort's existence) that it has been bare.

With the continuing loss of amenities and the rising prices I think Pocaanus is more appropriate.

I think they will have to come up with a new one.  Pocahontas has been out too long.  No lillte girl wants old princess toys.

Maybe someone like an Annie Oakley (but more PC can't have guns), or a made up western heroine that conquers the western expansion of the country single handedly!

They recently did Blonde (Rapunzel), red head (Merida), guess it's time for a platinum blonde or someone with multi colored hair.

Rapunzel could work she spent most of her time in the woods. They could give us the bar from the move. Put it over by the 2000 loop thats where the wild ones are anyway.

Rapunzel could work she spent most of her time in the woods. They could give us the bar from the move. Put it over by the 2000 loop thats where the wild ones are anyway.

But Frozen is Nordic I think. We need some sort of rootin tootin good all American cowgirl/frontier woman. Buckskin, knives, bull whips and firearms. Wrassling a bear and kicking a bobcats behind is just an ordinary day for her. Of course following Disney's formula for princess's she'll have to have a 20 inch waist, giant eyes, and perfect figure!

But Frozen is Nordic I think. We need some sort of rootin tootin good all American cowgirl/frontier woman. Buckskin, knives, bull whips and firearms. Wrassling a bear and kicking a bobcats behind is just an ordinary day for her. Of course following Disney's formula for princess's she'll have to have a 20 inch waist, giant eyes, and perfect figure!

I'd leave Snow White for her.  

No worries, mates. I have decided to sacrifice my lawnmower and grow a new lawnmower tree in my back lawn. I will transplant it at the Fort in a couple years. It was a horrible sacrifice, but somebody had to do it.

She can be all rough and tumble for the movie and then in pure Disney fashion they will "sexy" her up in merchandising just like they did Rapunzel and Merida

Open space is now the pool

I guess they don't want no stinkin wildlife at the Fort and want to make it concrete and plastic like the rest of the resorts.

Bring back the gate to get into the Fort itself.

The open space I was talking about the area where they expanded the 600 loop, by the water.  Pre-pool was before I began visiting.

that is exactly what i was thinking

or maybe ETSY?  :rofl2:

I smell a trading pin opportunity…...