Hey! I'm Whitney and have lurked for a couple years but am finally in need of some good advice from you experts:) We stayed in a cabin in 2011 and fell in love with Ft. Wilderness. We priced out a vacation for Feb in a cabin but lately I've been reading the info here about renting an RV. Sounds great even though we've never camped in an RV before but I know the kids would love it.

So my question:

If the price is so very close between a cabin and an RV, which would you choose? With the Disney discount the cabin is very close to the RV+campsite rental. What are the pros and cons? There are 4 adults and 2 children ages 8 & 9. We would be renting from Meacham's and the RV is a 2013 that sleeps 8 (or10?).

Please let me know of the advantages of an RV over the cabin if there are any. We really want to try the RV but will stick with the cabin if needed. I look forward to any and all advice.

Thank you!

Whitney

Hello and welcome!  :wave1:

I don't have any valuable advice that's Fort specific because I've never stayed in the cabins- but personally, I love RV camping.   :)

I guess you'd just have to weigh price, and what comes with the RV/Cabin.  Do they both provide linens? Cooking stuff? Cable? etc...

Good luck! :)

If you are there for the "heart of the campground" activities, then I would definitely go with the RV.  The camping loops are more centralized to everything that the campground has to offer.

If mousekeeping is important to you (making the beds, washing the dishes, sweeping, etc.) then the cabins may be better.

If you are truly trying to decide if the RV lifestyle is in your future, then definitely go with the camper rental.  This is by far the easiest way to "try" RVing.

Also, look at the floorplan of the RV you are renting?

Does it have a bunk room for the kiddos?  A seperate Master?  If it has all that, then hands down go with the RV.  For 4 adults, the cabin would be cramped and you would HAVE to pull the Murphy down every nigth.  Also, only 1 bathroom for 6 of you. Whereas in the RV, you have the spotless comfort stations nearby

If you do go with the cabin, request 2100 loop, near 1100 loop. That way you are closed to the 1100 Loop comfort station, and don't all have to share the 1 bath.

If the price is close, this is a good way to try out the RV/camping life.  You might like it.

We have had tents and camper trailers for a long time, and can't imagine not being able to take off for a week or a weekend...but it is not something everyone enjoys.  This looks like a good way to check it out and see if it is right for you.

The golf cart is $180 for the week--which is great! but they also have a special for 10% off the total so that is a huge bonus too:)

I appreciate all the input. We love sitting around outside and exploring....which brings to mind campfires? Do you all bring outdoor heaters or campfire supplies? We will be there in Feb and we've never been to WDW that time of year.

I have only ever stayed in a cabin at the Fort. The last time we went was in 2010. In hindsight I wish I had known about renting an rv. Yes we had a good time, but I think we would have enjoyed it more being centrally located to all the activities the Fort had to offer. I feel like staying in the cabin we treated the stay as more of a hotel stay (like staying in a 2 bedroom Residence Inn) rather than a resort stay.

We've done both...well, actually all of it:  Tent, rented an RV, rented a cabin.  We have 2 adults and 2 small children.  Love it all.  Benefit of both the RV and cabin is air/heat.  Nice thing about the RV, is often times it includes a golf cart which is nice to have.  In my opinion, you might be more comfortable in the cabin (with 6 people) than with the RV...simple because I think the cabin will be a little quieter than the RV (they tend to move/squeak some).  Also, the full size bathroom in the cabin is much nicer than the small RV bath....plus, the cabin may be cleaner than a rented RV.

Just my 2 cents.  I'm sure you'll have a great time...no matter which you choose  :thumbsup1:

Staying in a cabin is not camping. You want the full FW experience, you do it in an RV or tent. None of this wimpy, mamby pamby cabin crap. Now if you really want an experience, you will reserve a site in the 3000 loop.

Mr. Negative here again, but I don't think the cabin is worth the price. Unless you can get some super discount the higher end of $350 per night for the cabin is rediculous. For a few bucks more or sometime for the same price you could stay at the lodge and live it up while still walking or boating to the fort for the day and their activities

Mr. Negative here again, but I don't think the cabin is worth the price. Unless you can get some super discount the higher end of $350 per night for the cabin is rediculous. For a few bucks more or sometime for the same price you could stay at the lodge and live it up while still walking or boating to the fort for the day and their activities

I agree...they are pricey, unless you can get a good deal...which is why we've only rented a cabin once.  Renting the RV was cheaper and now were are tenting it.  I think the original post said the cost (RV vs Cabin) was pretty close so, I'm guessing they got a good deal.

Staying in a cabin is not camping. You want the full FW experience, you do it in an RV or tent. None of this wimpy, mamby pamby cabin crap. Now if you really want an experience, you will reserve a site in the 3000 loop.

True there too :0)

One thing that needs to be considered is family/party size. For us as a family of five the cabin would be a better option than the lodge.

We have been cabin "campers" on and off for quite a few years. If people can remember way back when before the cabin loops were built, Disney had a few park model trailers set up in various loops.  We actually rented one of those.

The cabins are great if you can get them at a decent price.  We've stayed in them for as little as $89 a night back in the stone age up to $225 a night about 3 years ago.  They allow you to cook if you want compared to eating out every meal, and you do get two seperate rooms.  I would stay in one of them before I spent the same amount at a Disney Hotel.  We have had as many as 10 adults and 4 kids in them at one time  (not sleeping) for a get together and it was do-able, but a little cramped.

I wish I could give you some input on RV living, but we gave up the cabins and are currently tenters.  My inlaws have a 5th wheel and they camped with 4 tween/teen boys and survived.  Follow the others expert advice about the awning, floor plan, etc, and it is a more realistic camping experience.

Can you post a link that shows the floor plan of the trailer you're thinking about renting?

Since you're going in February, there's a good chance you may be spending more time inside than you would in warmer months.

I would choose the option that provides the most space.  A lot of people can sit comfortably inside one of the cabins.  Plus you have the full kitchen with full sized appliances and a table that can seat at least six adults.  The cabin also provides a separate bedroom where the kids could go hang out in their own space. Unless you're talking about a huge trailer, you're going to be more cramped in the trailer.

My answer might be different if you were going at a warmer time of year, but if the cost was the same, I would probably choose the cabin.

TCD

I guess I have to say that I would be basing my opinion on a family of 4 with two smaller children. I guess if you had a larger family or possibly two families splitting the bill, a cabin would not be a bad price. I would absolutely love to stay in a cabin for a quick weekend trip but the price is just not justifiable for us hence I guess why Disney has a different type of room for each different type of folks

That is a nice looking trailer.  Plenty of space for six people.  I wasn't sure how big of a trailer you were thinking of renting. There are trailers with no slides that will still sleep 8-10, but you would be crowded in one of those.  This one, with the two slides and that bunk room looks great.

The good news for you is that you have two great options to chose between.

Since you are interested in the RV lifestyle and have already tried a cabin, this is probably a good time to try a trailer.

TCD