We went camping last weekend for only the 2nd time in 2013.  I had shoulder surgery and a lengthy recovery earlier in the year that made taking the trailer out impossible.  In any case, after we got home last Sunday I winterized the trailer.  Now I'm feeling quite unfulfilled in the camping department.  Camping seasons go by fast enough as it is....I feel like we missed one.  I'm hoping the winter is mild and that maybe we can get out for my birthday in February, but that's unlikely.  We'll see.  

How about you?  Did you get your fill of camping this year?  Is your camping season over, or still going strong?  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to St Augustine over Thanksgiving then plan on the annual New Years trip to Gatlinburg for the street party

I was in my MH 13 weeks this year and that was not enough.  It never is.  I need to find new places to camp.  Florida is almost always hot so this summer I went to New Jersey and they had a heat wave. Ugh.  We did spend a week in the Smokies and I'm trying to figure out how to get back, maybe in the spring or fall.  I got another week at the fort planned in January but that can't come fast enough.

We are like you and only got two trips in this year. Thanksgiving at the fort will be our third. With our kids in school now (not daycare) everything revolves around school time off. I hate to say but I think the bigger the RV since we now have a 32 ft TT for the past 2 years the less we do quick weekend trips. It's just too much work for 2 days. I guess bigger is not always better

If it wasn't for you Fiends and especially Judy who generously loaned Jessica and I her tent, we would have had no camping trips this year.

I remember when we first got our camper we were camping every weekend from spring through late fall. It seems the older the kids get the more involved their activities become and the less we get out.

Our old trailer spent more time at the dealer being fixed than we did camping in it.  If it wasn't for the Disney trip and 2 trips to Indiana, we would have had nothing to write home about.  I think we got in 1/2 the nights from our first year.

How about you?  Did you get your fill of camping this year?  Is your camping season over, or still going strong?  

Not nearly enough camping this year.  Because of Dad's illness and death, this fort trip is the first vacation we've had in a year.  We'll have to get Dolly winterized shortly after we get home, so we won't be going anywhere before April 2014.  But I do have WWW to look forward to!

We used to camp at least once every 4-6 weeks.  We haven't been as a family since we sold our TT in May.  Since we moved over the summer and my husband and sons went on a major Scout trip to Yellowstone, we didn't get to go over the summer either.  The summer before, I am pretty sure I spent more nights in the camper than in my bed at home.

My sons and I got a few nights at the Fort renting one of Donnie's campers.  Got in my last fix before moving up North.  But, it rained a lot and my husband wasn't there.

Since we've been in PA, the boys have been on Scout campouts, but our family trips are still on hold until we get another camper.  But that isn't looking like it will happen any time soon.

I'm not unfulfilled, I'm miserable.  I lived for those trips.  We still have our big family tent from our early days of camping, and i have a feeling it's gonna get dusted off.

We were pretty lucky this year with a fairly mild summer, and we have one of our favorite campgrounds, Sun-N-Fun, about a half hour away, so we go there a lot, we have a group of friends with pop-ups and hybrids we call "The Fold" and we hang out a lot, the kids love the camper and hopefully we can get some of our "Fold" friends to be "Fiend" friends as well! Brian

We bought our new TT 14 months ago and have spent about a total of 12 nights in it. With me loosing my job for a few months and us trying to adopt a child we haven't had a lot of time or money for camping.Spent a week at the fort in june and will be there again this weekend. I am planning on using it more this year coming up...even if it will only be for weekends since I only have 1 week vacation with my new job.

Dave,

This topic hit me squarely between the eyes.  I haven't been posting much lately as two of my favorite things have been absent from my life for over a year or longer now.  Fort Wilderness and Camping!  Sadly, I think it is over but I didn't even realize it until after it had already happened.  There are a number of definitive reasons and some that are harder to define.

#1 - My kids outgrew it.  Oh, they still love camping but with one about to graduate from college, another graduating from high school and my baby now a sophomore in high school they are just focused on all the activities and events that take away from camping weekends.  Obviously, the wife and I are still as deeply involved in their events as well so we just have a different focus in our lives right now.  I don't see this changing until at least my baby graduates from college in 6 yrs.  The wife and I are pretty sure we will start camping again once we are empty nesters.  Maybe even get a class B for travel to eventual grandkid visits. :clint:

#2 - Finding time to drive down and stay at Fort Wilderness that can fit into 5 family member's individual schedules.  This also isn't going to get any better soon.  It was real easy before high school and college started because everyone's schedule was similar.  Marching band was even more of a problem than Scouts believe it or not.

#3 - Frankly, we have been priced out of Fort Wilderness.  Between gas costs and the ridiculous increases in site costs, it is easier and cheaper to stay on site in a hotel.  Even with food costs, we are still coming out ahead.  Not to mention how difficult it has become getting a reservation!  We used to stay weeks in the summer for 50-60 dollars a night.  The multiple season pricing and the way they changed their rate rules (used to be you got the rate you checked in on throughout your stay).

#4 - Local camping has even become much pricier.  Our state parks and Corps of Engineer parks have significantly raised their rates (double or triple the inflation rates) over what we paying just 6 yrs ago.  The recession has caused a serious shift in cost for government run parks.  Unfortunately, our income has hardly changed during this time.

#5 - Fuel!  When we started back in 2004-5, our fuel costs were 1/3rd what it is now.  We made a lot of 1-2 hour trips on the weekend without even thinking about it from a cost standpoint.  Now, even driving 30-40 miles away means a significant gas bill.  We have been to our locals so much we don't have a whole lot of interest in going to them as much anymore.  See point above about income!

#6 - Tow Vehicle  I gave my truck to my oldest when his car died.  So I don't even have a way to tow the trailer when he is away at college.  He hasn't been home since Sept as it is now.  I now have his car after I got it fixed.  I think I lost out on that deal? :banghead:

#7 - We have found that a Disney World trip is no longer a reasonable value.  We have actually been on a 3 night DCL cruise for about the same or even LESS than staying in a value, with food and tickets to the parks.  That is crazy........   We are even going on a 7 night DCL cruise next fall because of an unexpected school vacation which allowed us to cruise off-season.  Of course, this won't last because of the DCL increases also.  Average 20% increase 2015 vs 2014 rates with some sailings 36% higher than same cruise a previous year.  This may be my last Disney vacation for a long time to come.  Remember point above about income....

#8 - This is one of those that wasn't so easy to define but one that was really personal to me.  Kadi our basset hound (pic in my avatar when she was a pup), died last November.  She was my camping companion.  Every night we would be the last out as I took her for evening walk.  We would also be the first up.  I would get up, take her for a walk, and then she and I would sit under the awning for hours while everyone else slept in.  I really miss her and just feel camping will never be the same without her.  She was one of the reasons we chose RV camping in the first place.  Makes it even less of a reason now!

Whew, that was a long list.  I had been thinking about posting some of this for a while now.  Sorry, Dave for making a mess of your thread but it just brought it all out when I read the title.  Yes, I am unfulfilled, I am sad, and I long for the smell of a campfire, the cup of coffee with my pup by my feet and the laughter filled memories we make as a family together.  However, I thought if I shared some of this, other folks may benefit from some of our experiences.  I would have probably changed our planning sooner, had I realized the life changes that would make regular camping no longer a part of our lives.  When you look at the monthly payment, storage costs, maintenance costs, and deterioration, it is very painful paying for an asset that just sits there and depreciates without getting used....all the while reminding you of missed chances to make more memories.  We have decided to sell our trailer over the next few months and that will be all she wrote. 

However, the best part of all of this is we have incredible family memories spending time together that was made possible by that 30' box on wheels.  We have explored some great places, stayed (practically lived at times) at the happiest place on earth, and did it all as a family (even our dog)!  What is really great is that it brought us to this group where we met so many invisible internet people that we now call our friends.  Some of them are even real people because we have camped with them.........believe it or not.

HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY :wave1:

I regret to say that I have not taken my family camping since our 2010 trip to WDW.  That trip was in a borrowed vehecle.  We keep hoping that the next vehecle we get will be dependable enough to let actually go places, plus cheap enough to drive.  So far, God seems to be keeping us close to homef or the time being.

However, i was very blessed to get to go to WWW in Feb. and Stone Mountain for the Memorial Day GG and those were both lots of fun.  But I miss camping with my kids.  Hopefully, 2014 will bring more oportunities.

Dave,

This topic hit me squarely between the eyes.  I haven't been posting much lately as two of my favorite things have been absent from my life for over a year or longer now.  Fort Wilderness and Camping!  Sadly, I think it is over but I didn't even realize it until after it had already happened.  There are a number of definitive reasons and some that are harder to define.

#1 - My kids outgrew it.  Oh, they still love camping but with one about to graduate from college, another graduating from high school and my baby now a sophomore in high school they are just focused on all the activities and events that take away from camping weekends.  Obviously, the wife and I are still as deeply involved in their events as well so we just have a different focus in our lives right now.  I don't see this changing until at least my baby graduates from college in 6 yrs.  The wife and I are pretty sure we will start camping again once we are empty nesters.  Maybe even get a class B for travel to eventual grandkid visits. :clint:

#2 - Finding time to drive down and stay at Fort Wilderness that can fit into 5 family member's individual schedules.  This also isn't going to get any better soon.  It was real easy before high school and college started because everyone's schedule was similar.  Marching band was even more of a problem than Scouts believe it or not.

#3 - Frankly, we have been priced out of Fort Wilderness.  Between gas costs and the ridiculous increases in site costs, it is easier and cheaper to stay on site in a hotel.  Even with food costs, we are still coming out ahead.  Not to mention how difficult it has become getting a reservation!  We used to stay weeks in the summer for 50-60 dollars a night.  The multiple season pricing and the way they changed their rate rules (used to be you got the rate you checked in on throughout your stay).

#4 - Local camping has even become much pricier.  Our state parks and Corps of Engineer parks have significantly raised their rates (double or triple the inflation rates) over what we paying just 6 yrs ago.  The recession has caused a serious shift in cost for government run parks.  Unfortunately, our income has hardly changed during this time.

#5 - Fuel!  When we started back in 2004-5, our fuel costs were 1/3rd what it is now.  We made a lot of 1-2 hour trips on the weekend without even thinking about it from a cost standpoint.  Now, even driving 30-40 miles away means a significant gas bill.  We have been to our locals so much we don't have a whole lot of interest in going to them as much anymore.  See point above about income!

#6 - Tow Vehicle  I gave my truck to my oldest when his car died.  So I don't even have a way to tow the trailer when he is away at college.  He hasn't been home since Sept as it is now.  I now have his car after I got it fixed.  I think I lost out on that deal? :banghead:

#7 - We have found that a Disney World trip is no longer a reasonable value.  We have actually been on a 3 night DCL cruise for about the same or even LESS than staying in a value, with food and tickets to the parks.  That is crazy........   We are even going on a 7 night DCL cruise next fall because of an unexpected school vacation which allowed us to cruise off-season.  Of course, this won't last because of the DCL increases also.  Average 20% increase 2015 vs 2014 rates with some sailings 36% higher than same cruise a previous year.  This may be my last Disney vacation for a long time to come.  Remember point above about income....

#8 - This is one of those that wasn't so easy to define but one that was really personal to me.  Kadi our basset hound (pic in my avatar when she was a pup), died last November.  She was my camping companion.  Every night we would be the last out as I took her for evening walk.  We would also be the first up.  I would get up, take her for a walk, and then she and I would sit under the awning for hours while everyone else slept in.  I really miss her and just feel camping will never be the same without her.  She was one of the reasons we chose RV camping in the first place.  Makes it even less of a reason now!

Whew, that was a long list.  I had been thinking about posting some of this for a while now.  Sorry, Dave for making a mess of your thread but it just brought it all out when I read the title.  Yes, I am unfulfilled, I am sad, and I long for the smell of a campfire, the cup of coffee with my pup by my feet and the laughter filled memories we make as a family together.  However, I thought if I shared some of this, other folks may benefit from some of our experiences.  I would have probably changed our planning sooner, had I realized the life changes that would make regular camping no longer a part of our lives.  When you look at the monthly payment, storage costs, maintenance costs, and deterioration, it is very painful paying for an asset that just sits there and depreciates without getting used....all the while reminding you of missed chances to make more memories.  We have decided to sell our trailer over the next few months and that will be all she wrote. 

However, the best part of all of this is we have incredible family memories spending time together that was made possible by that 30' box on wheels.  We have explored some great places, stayed (practically lived at times) at the happiest place on earth, and did it all as a family (even our dog)!  What is really great is that it brought us to this group where we met so many invisible internet people that we now call our friends.  Some of them are even real people because we have camped with them.........believe it or not.

HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY :wave1:

A lot of very good points. I totally agree with you on the increase of cost. When we booked spring break at the fort for next year and the average price for a premium site was $140 per night, we were almost ready to ban the fort. Being that we live outside of Tampa, it's very difficult to do that. I will say there is nothing like camping. If I could take more time off work and like I said earlier if we did not have to work around school schedules, we would camp all the time. I do see us downsizing the RV when the kids get older though