Transportation from FW to the Goofy Challenge

Last year the Fort was not listed but they did provide transportation. 

Also on the Rundisney page I saw this comment. 

Specially Priced Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels

Save up to 35%* on stays at select Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels! When you stay at any Walt Disney World® Resort during Marathon Weekend, transportation to all race weekend events is provided during race day operations

It is also listed as having discounts available for stays in the Cabins.

Disney Moderate Resorts

Save up to 25%

To book a Disney Moderate Resort at the special runDisney rate, call 407-939-iRun.

would like to know if the Fort is a host resort

As it says Hotels, and the Fort is not a hotel, they may not be a host resort.

Check with the Front Desk.

Host Resorts

All Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

Walt Disney World Swan Hotel

Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel

Shades of Green

One thing to keep in mind.....  On race mornings there is an event bus that runs from Outpost (loading by Check-In) to the race for the runners.  If you get up and at 'em you might be able to catch the occasional bus running through the Fort to get to the Outpost.  However, if you are like I was this year - waiting to wake up your kids, dress them, etc. and then try to catch a bus to the Settlement to ride the boat to MK to watch - well, let's just say we waited a loooooonng time and ended up missing Andy at the MK.  This time I think we will groggily ride in Andy's truck to Epcot, then ride the monorail to MK to watch.  We love the Fort bus drivers (and all the WDW bus drivers including Lou) and they do an amazing job.  BUT, they aren't always all briefed as to what is going on with special activities.  They helped us as best as they could.

BUT, they aren't always all briefed as to what is going on with special activities.  They helped us as best as they could.

A little off topic, but a good chance to comment on what Disney bus drivers know, and don't know.

You're absolutely correct Janet, saying that drivers are not always up to speed regarding special activities. In fact, we are not briefed about anything going on at WDW, yet based on some of the questions I'm asked, guests expect us to know everything about everything going on at WDW. That's impossible, and drivers should say "I don't know" a lot more than they do because a lot of misinformation is given out by them.

Here's a typical question.

When I arrive at the resorts to drop off, I'm often asked "I'm in building so and so, what is my bus stop"? What, your joking? We potentially will go to any of the dozens of resorts during the day, we don't go back and forth to the same resort. I can't memorize what stops handle what buildings because there are just too many buildings, and too many stops. But people are still a little put off when I tell them "I don't know, you'll have to look at the building signs as we go down the road".

Regarding this event, I believe that outside buses are used for event transportation, and not Disney buses, so Disney drivers are not in the loop to begin with. I have worked during a couple of marathons, and it was just another day. I was assigned a bus, and other than the daily "Tell A Cast" sheet, no briefing except for any changes on certain routes, that's it.

If a guest gets on a Disney bus during the event, it's probably just the regular Disney resort to park bus, so whatever the driver knows about the event, is what they picked up on their own, and not from a formal briefing.

Marathon Week is the ONLY one that has buses running from all the resorts - and Fort Wilderness only slips in because of the cabins. It is also the only time I have seen Disney "Motor Coaches" :clint:  being used for transportation.

All other Disney World races have "Host" Resorts, and they are the only ones with transportation to packet pickup at WWoS and to the Runs. Usually (but not always), Wilderness Lodge is one of the Host Resorts. For the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon, I drove 'around the corner' and parked at Wilderness Lodge; caught the Mears Transport to the Race Start; rode the Mears Transport back from the finish; then drove back 'around the corner' to The Fort. Not too much hassle.

Having done this a 'few' times, I have some insight and info about packet pickup and transportation issues. Feel free to ask specific (or not so) questions, and I will try to provide helpful answers.

I remember the last time I cheered my daughter on at the princess 1/2 marathon.  I took my car to epcot center, cheered her at the start then waited for ever to get on the Monorail and had to stand on it as well as stand in the station that was not working yet.  When we finally got to the MK we stood for ever to see her run by then we had to stand and wait for ever for the Monorail back to Epcot to stand and wait for ever for DD to finish.  I felt like we were all just a giant herd of cattle.   I think I will bring my car just so I have someplace to sit down.  I'll be at the Fort a week so I might need it for something else.  I don't like the Monorails that much for the same reason I don't like those new self check out lines at Home Depot.  I computer says, "Thank you for Your Purchase," but does it really mean it.  Call me old fashioned but I like talking to a real live person and that includes bus drivers.

As long as there's an event going on at the sports complex, they do provide bus transportation, however it's only from select resorts, and the Fort is not one of them.

They are, the 3 All-Stars, Pop, and the CBR.

No trailer trash.   :laugh: