Yesterday, the front office said they were really full last night.  They had 450 sites reserved.  Ummm, don't they have like 783 sites?  I wouldn't consider that full.  In fact, most businesses would be panicking at little over 50% occupancy.  I know 2 people that were able to get last minute reservations this weekend.  Must be some messed up system.

Yesterday, the front office said they were really full last night.  They had 450 sites reserved.  Ummm, don't they have like 783 sites?  I wouldn't consider that full.  In fact, most businesses would be panicking at little over 50% occupancy.  I know 2 people that were able to get last minute reservations this weekend.  Must be some messed up system.

799 sites to be exact so.... What The Fort??

I have to say that when we checked in in October they said they were full and they really weren't kidding - we went looping and saw just maybe 1 or 2 empty sites per loop, if that.

I think Jason's probably right - that a bunch of people are hanging onto those highly sought after holiday reservations until the last possible minute before releasing them.

Either that or the lines at check-in will be out to I4 this weekend.

You sure that wasn' t over and above those that were occupied already.

When I reserve for Christmas I must do it a year in advance.  Until the school calendar comes out I don't know what the actual days off from school are.  I do cancel any extra days we aren't going to use.  It seems  insane to have to reserve a year in advance for holidays.  I already have Thanksgiving and Christmas for 2014.  Have to make adjustments to the actual dates later.

We filled up in the 1800 loop today, went to re-checkin yesterday and the desk guy said it was locals coming in.  By the looks of it there were a ton of FL residents tonight when we went looping.  THe Christmas decorations were also sparse considering the previous two weekends we were here.

1400 pretty much filled up today also. It was half empty yesterday. We have seen an increase of underage cart drivers, more cars looping, and bunches of teens-driven carts racing through loops. Watch out at night, you could get run down.

So we just got back from two weeks and there were still a few sites open in the area yesterday morning.  I chatted up our neighbors on Sunday who were from the area and they told me something interesting.  Apparently travel agents are booking sites at the campground so that their clients can benefit from Disney resort perks and stay off site using various discounts at hotels in the area.  I'm guessing Hilton points or something to that effect that aren't available at Disney resorts.  Since you can have up to 10 people on the the sites, the agents put numerous families on the sites to split the cost and they still get the free parking, bands, and such.  They stay off site cheap or near free with their discount and pay a small amount to still get Disney resort perks by splitting the cost of the campsite with others.  Hence, the Fort being full with empty sites.  Our neighbors say they know numerous families that do this...... 

So we just got back from two weeks and there were still a few sites open in the area yesterday morning.  I chatted up our neighbors on Sunday who were from the area and they told me something interesting.  Apparently travel agents are booking sites at the campground so that their clients can benefit from Disney resort perks and stay off site using various discounts at hotels in the area.  I'm guessing Hilton points or something to that effect that aren't available at Disney resorts.  Since you can have up to 10 people on the the sites, the agents put numerous families on the sites to split the cost and they still get the free parking, bands, and such.  They stay off site cheap or near free with their discount and pay a small amount to still get Disney resort perks by splitting the cost of the campsite with others.  Hence, the Fort being full with empty sites.  Our neighbors say they know numerous families that do this...... 

It is likely that your neighbor read about this practice here on this site. It's something that has been discussed here many times, as recently as just a few weeks ago on this thread: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11643-throw-away-nights/  and before that, it was discussed on this thread:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11605-im-just-too-cheap-i-cant-pay-109nt-for-partial-site/

This topic has been batted around for years.  Not a new issue at all.

TCD

It usually comes up whenever people see vacant sites during super busy times at the Fort.

While it appears that it happens, my question is, how prevalent is it? Is it actually happening a lot, or are we hearing about the same instances over and over again?

I find it unlikely that management doesn't realize that it's going on, so if they're happy, I'm happy.

Well, I saw several people on a thread talking about doing it, but they were each only doing it for 1 night in order to get MBs and FP+. They would only get parking for a day by my understanding, but could get the rest of the perks for the whole trip.

I was in the 2000 Loop from Dec 20-23. For the 4 days and 3 nights I was at the Fort, I didnt have neighbors to the right, left, across the street, or catty cornered. In short, the 6 closet sites were vacant. I was in shock! I went online for fun to try to get a site, and no luck. Maybe folks didnt like us? Not sure, but I sure had a blast!

The last few years we have camped on holiday summer weekends at a National Forest Campground in New Hampshire. It is very small and basic, outhouses and no utilities. But it is beautiful and quiet with mountain views all around during the day and a million stars overhead at night (no electric lights anywhere nearby).  A couple of years ago we were there for 4th of July and noticed the site next to us was empty for Friday and Saturday nights. There are only 12 sites, so usually every site is booked well ahead of time.  The site did have a reserved sign on it and it was booked for the three nights required for holiday weekends, but no one showed up....... until Sunday that is.

Around noon or so, 10 or so large expensive SUVs started pulling in and parking all over the place (site is only allowed 2) approx 25-30 plus people and kids poured out and started to set up coolers, a big fire, and a couple of large grills. The music was loud, the people were loud and when they packed up and left 2-3 hours later they left a mess behind.

When the host campers showed up later, they were apologetic and said it was a new trend for several of the NFS campgrounds. Seems local vacation condo owners had found that they could have a family cookout in a great location on a holiday, break all the rules (they get a "first offense warning")  tie up a sought-after campsite meant for a family, and only have to pay 16 dollars x3 nights.

I had mixed feelings, just like I do with the above scenario at FW.  I liked having no one next door for the weekend, and I don't mind people having a good time if it's not quiet hours, but I also don't like to get blocked out of campsites by people who have no intention of camping and no regard for the rules.... it also didn't help that they acted as though us dirty campers were in THEIR way!  :soapbox: