DISNEY NAMED COMPANY OF THE YEAR

Actually Disney stock has been ok, but not great since the late 90s You wouldn't have lost much, but you wouldn't made much either. Over the past 2 years, it has excelled.

The stock started to tank exactly when I returned about 5-1/2 years ago, but after 6 months of the magic that is me, it has excelled.

Coincidence, I think not.

. Over the past 2 years, it has excelled.

The stock started to tank exactly when I returned about 5-1/2 years ago, but after 6 months of the magic that is me, it has excelled.

Coincidence, I think not.

All I can say is,

I was given a single Disney stock certificate when I graduated high school in 1986. It was the first stock I ever owned.

It was worth approx $45. It had a 4-1 split in 1992 then a 3--1 split in 1998.

So now I own 12 shares at $72.40/ share.

If my math is correct my one stock is now worth $868.00. And that's doesn't include the dividend checks I have gotten from Disney over the years.

And if you call those numbers "ok" I need the number to your stock broker.

I have actually invested in Disney on several occasions and with the exception of 2008-09 I've done really well with it. It's a buy and hold company.

And if you call those numbers "ok" I need the number to your stock broker.

Yes I do knucklehead.

While your return on your single Disney stock may seem great, it's great as compared to what? Disney stock should be compared against other top performers during the same period and then make the assessment based on that.

Plus I did say since the late 90s, not since 1986.

For the less active investor, Disney stock is a good stock to own because it will go up over the long haul. But with the exception of the past few years, active investors could do better.

I believe it's done so well lately not so much because of what it's done, but because of the market anticipation of what it will do. There is a lot of stuff in the pipeline waiting to happen as a result of the acquisition or collaboration of Pixar, Marvel, Lucas, and the Avatar deal.

My stockbroker is me,  and I use TDAmeritrade for analysis, and trading tools for actual trading.

I started casually investing in the 80s with mutual funds, then decided 7 years ago to do it full time at home with individual stocks and ETFs.

I've done ok, but not because of Disney stock, which I did own, but dumped as it didn't do as well as most of my other holdings at that time.

At this point in my life, I'm 50% in liquid assets and 50% in the market. It's more about maintaining, and less about speculating.

Disneys ipo 1957 $13.80

56 years ago.

Split 6 times- 1 stock would be 384.

Which would be worth $28,185 today.

Apples ipo 1980 $22.00.

33 years ago

Split 3 times- 1 stock would be 8 shares

Which would be worth $4,392 (with almost all that growth taking place after 2005)

I think I would have rather bought Disney stocks.

I think I would have rather bought Disney stocks.

That's where we part company. I'll take Apple.

The total return numbers below, and that's what it should be evaluated on, are from Forbes.

The list does not include all stocks, as even Apple was outperformed, but it does include Disney for comparison purposes.

stock_zps6c27738f.jpg

I shortened this response as it was getting off track, but getting back to the original point of the thread, Disney is a great company and deserves the award. You won't go wrong buying their stock, and as long as you hold on to it long enough, IMO, you'll do OK.

And speaking of OK, Ray is still a schmuck face. See what I did there. OK,.. Ray is from OK.

That's where we part company. I'll take Apple.

The total return numbers below, and that's what it should be evaluated on, are from Forbes.

The list does not include all stocks, as even Apple was outperformed, but it does include Disney for comparison purposes.

stock_zps6c27738f.jpg

I shortened this response as it was getting off track, but getting back to the original point of the thread, Disney is a great company and deserves the award. You won't go wrong buying their stock, and as long as you hold on to it long enough, IMO, you'll do OK.

And speaking of OK, Ray is still a schmuck face. See what I did there. OK,.. Ray is from OK.

Haha!

Don't quit your day job bus man. You'll starve as a comedian.

I'm so confused as what to buy now

It's pretty simple if your a young good looking guy that still has plenty of time till retirement then consider buying Disney. It is a pretty good buy and hold stock. Several "experts" say that Disney is a moderate buy and hold stock. And I agree.

I'm by no means an expert but I've personally had pretty good, long term results with the stock. Part of which was just being lucky enough to have bought at the right time. I just call it dumb luck.

Unfortunately Lou is right, if your an active investor you can probably do better these days with a few other other stocks. In the short term.

So decide what kind of investor you are and get some advice from a real expert. Not a Knucklehead nor an old cranky bus driver. Lol.