Don't know how to approach this, but maybe some fiends who live close to the Fort, might permit other fiends to leave their rv on their property for a short stay.

Other than one other Fiend that lives much closer to the Fort than I do, I may be the only other active Fiend that lives in a house which is close to the Fort.

Also, if someone lives close to the Fort, there is a good chance that either their lot is not big enough to park an RV, or the Homeowners Assoc. will not allow it. In my case, both.

Thank you all again for the suggestions…..as always, you are so helpful and this is such a wonderful resource.  So nice to know I have a place to go for info and help in a pinch!

Prior to starting this thread, I had made several calls and my husband had chosen a place called Stoneybrook West Self Storage.  Really close to the fort, decent rate, secure place in a nice area.  We thought we had made a good choice when he did a drive by to check it out.

Unfortunately, once he towed our camper over to leave it there until spring, after which we were to get on the road to begin our journey back to PA, they changed their tune and bumped the rate up by $35 per month, saying our trailer was too big.  I clearly stated it was 32', apparently they have no idea how big that actually is?  Anyway, the guy was a total d-bag to my husband, so he left.

Good thing I had gotten some replies here, I jumped on and checked out the suggestions.  We wound up at the one in Davenport that one of the other threads mentioned.  Saved some clams, too.  All that is very, very good.

However, in the process we lost around 2.5 hours and it really affected our travel plans.  We still had to stop back in Jacksonville to pick up all our Christmas loot that we left at the grandparents.  Between that and some traffic issues, the domino effect was that we were in the truck for 13 hours today and spent an hour shoveling to get into the driveway in below zero temps at midnight tonight.

SO - I can now ditto the recommendation for 1st Security in Davenport, and HIGHLY discourage anyone from using Stoneybrook West.  

I am going to stick my neck out and mention that while I don't live near the Fort, about 60 miles away about 90 minutes travel time, I have a mowed field by my pump house behind my home that I keep mowed that would be open to any fiend that would like to leave a RV for a spell. It is not fenced, but is not on the road so no one should be in there but us. Only about 100 yards back of home.

I am going to stick my neck out and mention that while I don't live near the Fort, about 60 miles away about 90 minutes travel time, I have a mowed field by my pump house behind my home that I keep mowed that would be open to any fiend that would like to leave a RV for a spell. It is not fenced, but is not on the road so no one should be in there but us. Only about 100 yards back of home.

That is very generous of you Tom!!!!!

I have stored my camper down in FL before, last year when I had 3 trips very close to each other.  However, even though it saved me some fuel, it ultimately was more work than it was worth. I found myself the last few days of each trip constantly running through my mind what had to be left in the camper, and what had to be pulled out and packed in the truck, and it also took more time at the end of each trip to pack up and load since it was totally opposite from what we normally do. (The stuff that normally went in the truck, went into the camper for storage, and stuff that normally stayed in the camper, had to go into the truck to be brought home) and then the subsequent trips to pull things out of the truck and load the camper the way it should be loaded.

So please consider your vacation time when you think about leaving your camper down in FL.

I have stored my camper down in FL before, last year when I had 3 trips very close to each other.  However, even though it saved me some fuel, it ultimately was more work than it was worth. I found myself the last few days of each trip constantly running through my mind what had to be left in the camper, and what had to be pulled out and packed in the truck, and it also took more time at the end of each trip to pack up and load since it was totally opposite from what we normally do. (The stuff that normally went in the truck, went into the camper for storage, and stuff that normally stayed in the camper, had to go into the truck to be brought home) and then the subsequent trips to pull things out of the truck and load the camper the way it should be loaded.

So please consider your vacation time when you think about leaving your camper down in FL.

Can't you just fly down and put your camper in the overhead storage bin?   :rofl3:

Wow - that IS generous!  Thank you!  I'll try to remember that if the need arises again down the road.

Excellent points.  It did create quite a bit of extra planning and effort.  But, in our case, we had no choice this time.  We bought the RV in Florida after we'd already towed our golf cart down on a utility trailer.  And, we didn't want to have to bring the RV up here to PA only to have to winterize it.  I wouldn't have planned it this way, but it will work out in the end.  I would consider doing it again, too, if it were a matter of camping at the Fort for the holidays, leaving it down there for the winter, then returning in the spring for another Fort trip.  For us, being so far up North, it makes more sense.  We pay storage anyway, so it's no extra cost, just more work as you pointed out.

Can't you just fly down and put your camper in the overhead storage bin?   :rofl3:

That's pretty funny.  I saw some even smaller than hers during this last trip.  One had a loft.  I suspect it will come up in someone's TR because it was right by the road and bus stop - really grabbed my attention.

• 1 month later...

The DW & I are staying at Rainbow Chase RV Park in Davenport and they have storage for $50/month.  It's about 17 miles from the Fort.  The place is fenced & gated. The address is 6300 Lake Wilson Road, Davenport, FL 33896. Phone # is 863-424-2688.