Leaked River Country DVC Plans

No worries, we're just having a friendly discussion.

You are too young to remember this, but the idea you are floating is very similar to something they used to do, and thankfully have stopped doing, at the Fort.

Back in the 90's, they used to have an internal bus route that circulated through the loop bus stops. The internal routes were called the Chip route or the Dale route. The buses wound through the entire campground in one long route going back and forth between the Settlement and the Outpost. Then there were the Boone and Crockett buses. These buses also ran through the campground and then out to the Transportation and Ticket Center and back. There were no direct buses to the parks from the Fort. As you can imagine, it took forever to get anywhere on those buses. When I hear someone complain about the Fort's bus service now, I have to laugh. They have no idea.

A bus that circulates through the Fort before it heads out to a park would be awful. It would take forever. That is what they do at POR, Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs- it makes for a much longer ride to or from a park.

TCD

I agree a bus that circulates the fort before it heads to a park would be awful. And that's not what I suggested at all.

And thanks for saying I'm too young. Considering we have a 24 yr old son I'm assuming your not that much older than me.

Also change can be good. Disney should always look for ways to improve the guests experience. I bet it was a young guy who had no idea what it was like before they had the Chip, Dale, Boone, Crockett routes that changed them to a better bus system. And I bet there was a lot of long time fort campers complaining about the "new" internal bus that took you to the outpost and then you have to catch another bus to the parks. Remember the good ole days when you could go to TTC and catch a bus to anywhere? Lol!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...   WELCOME!   If you haven't already created a user name/login

Maybe they'll conduct a training burn on Jacob's Cabin after the bat house is finished?

Suddenly I am seeing a new tour offered by Disney World.

One day your going to have to show me how to post little pictures like that!

Did you google the salutation? Or do you speak portegese?

That one is in the list of smilies.  They should show up in the bar above the text box when you're posting.

I don't speak it, but absorbed some working/living in East Providence for a while.  That plus knowing just enough French and Spanish to be dangerous and I figured it out.  8)

You knuckleheads have been having a heck of a time discussing this while I've been moving the masses around WDW.

I think it would save Disney money if they had two stops.

As I said, it's the individual resorts that decide, and pay, for their transportation, not the main company, so the main company, Disney, wouldn't save anything.

The resorts are autonomous for the most part, almost like a franchise.

Like almost everything else that the resorts sub-contact from a WDW department, they also decide what level of bus transportation service they want. More bus stops means more money. Less time between buses, more money, etc.

If they run the buses like they do at the AS's. If the bus isn't full they send it to the next AS resort. If it is full they send another bus.

To an outside observer, it may appear that's what's happening, but there is a lot more going on there that isn't apparent.

WDW bus transportation is so complicated and varied, that it would take me hours to describe all of the different elements and circumstances that are going on during the day. It also changes during the day, and has a number of different operating methods.

For as long as I've been involved, I'm still amazed.

A logistic junky, would be in heaven if they knew how WDW bus transportation worked

You knuckleheads have been having a heck of a time discussing this while I've been moving the masses around WDW.

The resorts are autonomous for the most part, almost like a franchise.

Like almost everything else that the resorts sub-contact from a WDW department, they also decide what level of bus transportation service they want. More bus stops means more money. Less time between buses, more money,

A logistic junky, would be in heaven if they knew how WDW bus transportation worked

So basically your saying that Fort management isn't going spend anymore money on us "unwashed masses" then they have too.

So if they build this DVC will it be under the Fort "franchise"? If not, why would want to share a bus stop with us low lifes?

So basically your saying that Fort management isn't going spend anymore money on us "unwashed masses" then they have too.

Do you want management to spend the money for two bus stops?  They're just going to pass the cost along to you.

So if they build this DVC will it be under the Fort "franchise"? If not, why would want to share a bus stop with us low lifes?

The WL, the Villas at the WL, and the Fort, are already under one management team, and it's designated as "The Wilderness Region".

What?

No comment on the "rei dos onibus"?

I took me hours to think that up and then have it translated.

I guess I either didn't go back far enough on the discussion, or thought it was for TCD.

When I did see it, I also thought it was in Spanish, and you don't want to get me started on that. 

Anyway, I appreciate the effort, and you got it exactly right. I'm sure no one would disagree.

Man... I'm exhausted after reading all of this  :whew:

Top notch research, amazed by the information that was provided on this post!  For our family, what we appreciate is that The Fort can be quiet and as close to nature as you'll get at Disney.  While improvements could be used, for us there is also something to appreciate about the quaint feel.  We are camping after all :)  The plans for this new project look beautiful... as long as the impact on The Fort is minimal (which, unfortunately, is probably be unlikely).   Changes will be required, as there is only so much land/room, but here's hoping that a "tree-hugger" heads up the new project and attention is paid to preserving, if not improving, The Fort.

Considering that most are not going to translate it, pretty sure.

:rofl3:   

Somebody asked a question a while back about how the Fort Wilderness map might look different if this project ever gets built.

And there have been several comments about how it will overpower and encroach on the Fort.

I think the map makers are ahead of us.

Take a look at this 1971 Fort Wilderness map:

1971mapp4_zps0aa5cab9.jpg

You can see up there in the left corner that the Tri-Circle-D ranch occupied the area that later became River Country, but there's a big chunk of land up there at the top left shown as being part of the Fort.

In 1978, River Country and Pioneer Hall were open, and we can see all kinds of amenities on the map there in the top left corner:

1978map_zps4e98180a.jpg

In the late 80's/early 90's some new graphic ideas were tried, but there's still lots of stuff there in the top left corner:

90sMap_zps1f49628f.png

The map in the late 90's/early 2000's still showed River Country and the Petting Zoo:

early2000smap_zpse8aabc62.png

Musket Mickey got lost somewhere in the early 2000's, and River Country came off the map, but the maps looked a lot like that last one all the way up until late 2013, when this new map was introduced:

2013map_zpsfafc105a.jpg

Hey-were did all the stuff in the top left corner go?

What stuff? They'll say.

If the proposed DVC project were to be built, the only changes on this map would be in the little area inside the purple lines here:

2013mapwithnotes_zps5fd0783a.jpg

No big deal.

Right?

TCD

No big deal.

Correct. EXCEPT the parking lot.

All would be perfectly good if it weren't for the parking lot. But the DVC is going to be a huge upgrade to Fort Wilderness. We are absolutely going to benefit from some "rub off" effect. Can you say, "Moose topiary"?

I think a lot of this is much to do about nothing. The parking lot, in my mind, is a valid gripe. But it is what it is.

Everything else is a mountain out of a molehill. A few 700 sites will back up to a new bus stop. Who cares? There will be more foot traffic. Good! There will be more light at night. So what?

To me that effing race car is a far bigger trespass onto the character and serenity of the Fort than a DVC will ever be.

I agree that parking lot is the biggest problem.

But, still, the campground remains intact.  Nothing changes between the Settlement and the Outpost.

I am still poking around in the plans, and came across this interesting detail on a schedule where they list all the different kind of pavement (or hard-scape) they planned to use:

pavementdetail_zps477bd1f8.jpg

Alligator Tracks!

TCD

So much for "Pacific Lakeside"! How the heck does this jibe with a western frontier theme?

Good point. They should be buffalo tracks.

Where are you guys getting a Western Frontier Theme?

I always felt that River Country had a turn of the century southern swimmin' hole theme, and the gator tracks, river pool, butterflies and dragonflies fit in nicely with that.

TCD