Leaked River Country DVC Plans

No big deal.

Right?

TCD

First off, TCD, thank you for the awesome work with those maps. I love seeing the older ones and to see the Fort grow!

But as far as how big a deal this is, it's all a matter or perspective. From a land area viewpoint, you are absolutely right. It's such a small percentage of area.

But.

For our family, the Settlement area is the best part of the Fort.  All of our best memories are on Clementine beach, or the nearby playground, or the stables. These are the things my five year old is still talking about almost a year after we were there.

I can see how, to campers that don't utilize the Settlement area much, the loss of nearly half the beach is no big deal and is a great trade for all the new things that will be there instead.

But I'd take a stretch of sand, a lounge chair, and the sound of my little girls playing tag on an empty the beach over any new feature the DVC can bring.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...   WELCOME!   If you haven't already created a user name/login

Maybe they'll conduct a training burn on Jacob's Cabin after the bat house is finished?

Suddenly I am seeing a new tour offered by Disney World.

It does seem that the overall themes of Fort Wilderness and the RC DVC are different.  On one hand you have an old west, pioneer theme.  Covered wagons, horses, buffalos, etc.  Then with River Country you had the "ole swimmin hole" from a simpler time, and as TCD said, it seems to be set in the south.  So that raises an interesting question....if this resort is built, and they intend on incorporating the existing ameneties of the Settlement area, such as Pioneer Hall, Trails End and the Trading Post, into the overall DVC resort area, would they attempt to "retheme" the Settlement area at all to fit into the RV DVC theme?  I would think the architecture alone would make that difficult, so I doubt it.  But the differences are there.  I guess it's no different than the Boardwalk and YC/BC being next to each other...but the theming of those resorts is not that divergent. 

If it weren't for those pesky alligator tracks, they could say that both resorts were set in old Missouri, of the Mark Twain days, or of Walt's youth.  The Fort could be from the pioneer, pony express days...and RC could be a small town, Mississippi River swimming hole.  But there aren't any alligators in Missouri. 

If it weren't for those pesky alligator tracks, they could say that both resorts were set in old Missouri, of the Mark Twain days, or of Walt's youth.  The Fort could be from the pioneer, pony express days...and RC could be a small town, Mississippi River swimming hole.  But there aren't any alligators in Missouri. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with the south..I'm thinking bayou River Country.  Maybe we'll have Tiana's restaurant?

. . . Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, covered wagons, tee-pees, totem poles, a mouse with a musket.  Got it.  I agree.

But River Country had a turn of the century, small town USA theme.

TCD

Indeed. I was always under the impression that RC was themed after Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. That would be Missouri. Do alligators hang out in Missouri?

But wait. Red rocks. There ain't no red rocks in Missouri, are there? And there ain't no red rocks in the South that I can think of. Gotta go out west for that.

So Santa Claus Guy is right.

Indeed. I was always under the impression that RC was themed after Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. That would be Missouri. Do alligators hang out in Missouri?

But wait. Red rocks. There ain't no red rocks in Missouri, are there? And there ain't no red rocks in the South that I can think of. Gotta go out west for that.

I have to go into the TCD archives and see what I can dig up, but I remember that there used to be years posted above the buildings where the lockers and restrooms were at River Country, and they did correspond with the Huck and Tom era.

They certainly had caves and such back in Missouri.  So there had to be some rocks too.

I don't know what to say about the gator tracks- maybe it's a lost gator?

There's a whole section of Port Orleans Riverside called Alligator Bayou.  That is what the alligator tracks here would make me think of.

TCD

Below appeared in some old DL literature.

FORT WILDERNESS
At the far end of Wilderness Road stands Fort Wilderness—the outpost of civilization. The time is the War of 1812…the United States flag has only 15 stars.
Within the gates there is a Canteen and Trading Post—stocked with pelts, guns, knives, and Indian craft.
In the Regimental Hdqrs., Davy Crockett and George Russell, U.S. Army Scouts, can be seen reporting to Maj. General Andrew Jackson during the Cherokee   Indian Campaign.
From the parapets and block houses can be seen the vast untamed American wilderness…the deer, moose, bear and wildlife of the primitive forest.
Beyond the stockade are tepees…hostile Indians on the warpath. A settler’s cabin burns in the distance…mute evidence of a treacherous attack.

Below appeared in some old DL literature.

FORT WILDERNESS

At the far end of Wilderness Road stands Fort Wilderness—the outpost of civilization. The time is the War of 1812…the United States flag has only 15 stars.

Within the gates there is a Canteen and Trading Post—stocked with pelts, guns, knives, and Indian craft.

In the Regimental Hdqrs., Davy Crockett and George Russell, U.S. Army Scouts, can be seen reporting to Maj. General Andrew Jackson during the Cherokee   Indian Campaign.

From the parapets and block houses can be seen the vast untamed American wilderness…the deer, moose, bear and wildlife of the primitive forest.

Beyond the stockade are tepees…hostile Indians on the warpath. A settler’s cabin burns in the distance…mute evidence of a treacherous attack.

Is that DL as in Disneyland?

Fort Wilderness was the name of the Fort on Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland.  This description you found appears to be related to that.

There was never a burning settler's cabin in the distance at the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

TCD

Is that DL as in Disneyland?

Fort Wilderness was the name of the Fort on Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland.  This description you found appears to be related to that.

There was never a burning settler's cabin in the distance at the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

Yes, correct, yes, and I think they were just setting the scene for the imaginary Fort.

Hey they want you to vacation in upstate New York with Sarasota Springs.  Why not Missouri?

And Key West, New England, Atlantic City, New Orleans, Pacific northwest, Polynesia, Caribbean, and Mexico.

Why not Missouri? Walt grew up in Missouri and it was his inspiration for Main Street USA.

And Key West, New England, Atlantic City, New Orleans, Pacific northwest, Polynesia, Caribbean, and Mexico.

Why not Missouri? Walt grew up in Missouri and it was his inspiration for Main Street USA.

Go back to post 254 in this thread and I noted that Walt grew up in Missouri.  Most people know that.  But most people also know that Walt left Missouri to move to Southern California.  Plus, and this is the key point I was trying to make in a sarcastic way, most sane people do not book a week's vacation in Missouri.  I have nothing against Missouri...it's a very nice place.  But it's not a vacation destination on the order of Key West, New England, Atlantic City, New Orleans, the Pacific Northwest (arguably), Polynesia, the Caribbean, or Mexico.  

Missouri was a considered site for Walt Disney World.

Back to DVC, have you all noticed what it cost to rent a pad of concrete in 2014 in Fort Wilderness??

Once this DVC moves in, and all it's amenities, that we hope to share, what will it cost to put our campers up?

I may not be able to afford it by the time it;s done. I don't think I can afford it this year!

Go back to post 254 in this thread and I noted that Walt grew up in Missouri.  Most people know that.  But most people also know that Walt left Missouri to move to Southern California.  Plus, and this is the key point I was trying to make in a sarcastic way, most sane people do not book a week's vacation in Missouri.  I have nothing against Missouri...it's a very nice place.  But it's not a vacation destination on the order of Key West, New England, Atlantic City, New Orleans, the Pacific Northwest (arguably), Polynesia, the Caribbean, or Mexico.  

Umm Branson and St Louis are both tourist destinations in Missouri. 

Umm Branson and St Louis are both tourist destinations in Missouri.

That's what I was thinking. Branson has almost 8 million visitors a year.

Branson rocks! It's a great place to bring the family. Everywhere and everything is family oriented. We've been there during spring break and didn't see any drunk college kid. (Except members of our family. Lol)

Based on that we heard when we took the WL tour 2 years ago the "River Theme" would fit into what Walt had planned and wanted since the river was a mode transportation as the early settlers moved across the country. That is one reason the train display is in the WL Villas lobby since it represented another means of transportation used as the country grew Westward.

Come out to olahoma and Texas and ill show all the red rocks you want. There's a reason they call the river that seperates OK & TX the Red River.