Leaked River Country DVC Plans

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...   WELCOME!   If you haven't already created a user name/login

Maybe they'll conduct a training burn on Jacob's Cabin after the bat house is finished?

Suddenly I am seeing a new tour offered by Disney World.

I don't think that parking lot would be big enough.  It will need to turn into a 5 story parking garage. I can't imagine the mess of construction equipment and materials that would need to come and go.  And you thought 4 seasons was an abomination.  Can't you just picture sitting under your awning in the 1900 loop early in the morning having coffee to the beat of pile drivers.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy.  

I was looking at the plans on my phone so I could not make out details.

If they are planning 8 floors, they must be expecting huge sales.

I am surprised at the size of this monster too.  I can now open the last two pages and there are 10 floors.  No rooms on those last two floors, though.

I figure the plan was to build this and focus sales efforts on it for a long time.

Down at the bottom of the plans that were just posted, there's a notation referring to phase 1 and phase 2.  So, maybe they were just going to build it one phase at a time?

Anyone know offhand how many stories BLT and the new Four Seasons are? I think WL is 5 or 6.

I'm pretty sure the main building at the lodge is 7 floors, and the wings are 6.

The Contemporary and BLT are 14 stories.

I would guess that Four Seasons is 15-16 stories.

These plans call for buildings taller than the Wilderness Lodge buildings!

I don't think that parking lot would be big enough.  It will need to turn into a 5 story parking garage. I can't imagine the mess of construction equipment and materials that would need to come and go.  And you thought 4 seasons was an abomination.  Can't you just picture sitting under your awning in the 1900 loop early in the morning having coffee to the beat of pile drivers.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy.  

Now there's a good point.

And, how long do you think it will take them to build this?

A couple of years, right?

After the pile drivers, they'll bring in those God-awful cranes.

If it ever happens, the Settlement will be such a mess for a long, long time.

TCD

All the tweets from https://twitter.com/AmusementLeaks have been deleted, except one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bbsDJWlXQ

Yep. looks like he must have gotten a C&D letter from Uncle Walter.

There's a new tweet there saying they are stopping on their own accord.

They say they weren't contacted by any park (there were a lot of Universal drawings posted too).

Maybe the employer or former employer of this person caught wind of this and put the kibosh on it before Disney or Universal caught wind of it.

TCD

All the tweets from https://twitter.com/AmusementLeaks have been deleted, except one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bbsDJWlXQ

Very interesting indeed!  And makes it even cooler that TCD found the info and posted much of it here before it went poof.  :)

Except here they're saying that the plans are back on the table.  Oy.

That's the internet for you.  The world's worst game of telephone...

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...

WELCOME!

If you haven't already created a user name/login, you should know that in addition to all the terrific information stored here on the public forums there is an entire rest of the site that is accessible to logged in members only.  It also happens to be the part of the board where most of the fun happens.  :)

Also if you haven't already, check out the Info tab at the top, which links to a whole bunch of information that we store here that is frequently asked for about Fort Wilderness and WDW as a whole. Click on the Site Map to get an "at a glance" view of everything there.

Login accounts are free, so while you're lurking around, don't be shy and check out all that FortFiends.net has to offer.  And if you're feeling a little bit brave, log in, go to the Community Board, click on the "Please introduce yourself..." thread pinned at the top and say "Howdy!"

We are a Snarky™ but FrIENDly bunch - a great place to get information, make FrIENDs and just hang out. But we only get better and better thanks to the contributions of everyone here.  So jump on in!

In case anyone missed out on seeing them before they were deleted...

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/other--proposed-resorts/2480-ft-wilderness-dvc-plans-leaked

And just in case they disappear again, here's the info posted (and I have a backup of the images)...

Detailed floorplans and sketches of a proposed Ft. Wilderness Disney Vacation Club property have surfaced, providing a wealth of information on a resort which may never come to be.  

b_500_350_16777215_0___images_stories_Ot

Rumors of a Disney Vacation Club property at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort first surfaced in 2010 when initial permit filings hit the South Florida Water Management website.  Plans called for the relocation of several existing Ft. Wilderness amenities including the Tri-Circle "D" Ranch and construction of a multi-story DVC property.  

Over time the project stalled with DVC giving higher priority to the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Disney's Polynesian Resort.  

However, Twitter account @AmusementLeaks has posted a number of documents from the resort design under the hashtag #WildernessWayResort.  

Thanks to these filings, a great deal of information can be gleaned regarding the proposed DVC property. 

The building itself rises up to eight stories with pools, amenities and guest rooms on the first floor and a main lobby on the third floor. The design features Two Bedroom Dedicated villas, Two Bedroom Lockoff villas--which can be reserved separately as One Bedroom and Deluxe Studio--and numerous two-story Grand Villas.  

Construction would occur in two phases with most common amenities (front desk, retail, dining), the feature pool and guest rooms included in Phase 1. Phase 2 includes the leisure pool and additional villas.  

Two pools are included in the design.  The "Riverpool" complex sports a circular layout and waterslide.  The smaller leisure pool includes water jets cascading into the pool.  Both pools have adjacent hot tubs, and are designed with convenient access to quick service dining, pool bar, restrooms and other amenities.  

Pools are adjacent to Bay Lake with a nearby woden bridge / walkway / marina extending out into the water.  

Overall site plan with DVC building in red and pools in blue.  Note guest parking and Pioneer Hall to the right.  

The front desk, gift shop and restaurant--presumably table service dining--are located on the third floor of the building.  Two "grand" staircases provide access to the ground floor pool.  A waterfall separates the two stairways.  Nearby Pioneer Hall features additional dining and entertainment options including Trail's End Restaurant and the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.  

Additional plans and artwork are displayed below.  

Community Hall included in designs

Quick Service dining, fitness center, arcade and other amenities separate the two pools

Third floor lobby

A closer look at Two Bedroom and Grand Villa room layouts  

Roof garden

Port Cochere

Spring Source water feature

Waterfall bridge

Rope Bridge

"Riverpool" feature pool

Leisure pool

No word on whether or not the Ft. Wilderness project is being revived by Disney Vacation Club.  DVC has announced construction of villas at Disney's Polynesian Resort with an estimated opening in 2015.  

For additional drawings and artwork, see Twitter account @AmusementLeaks.

I don't think it will be built because the" Wilderness Region", that's what the WL, WL Villias, and the Fort are called, already share management and a few other things. Add another large resort into the mix, and it probably will have to be split up into two distinct resorts, but they'll have a similar theme. Won't they just just cannibalize from each other?

I think the FW DVC will be built because the Fort would be the only MK resort without a DVC. Why would they stop at the Poly?

It's such a unique theme that they'll want to take advantage of it. You can't do some of the things that can be done at the Fort anywhere else on property.

I think that as many rich people stay at the Fort as stay at any of the luxury resorts. Just count the number of high end MHs during a busy period. Why not give them another option? Buy a DVC membership, and get a site for the MH too.

I don't stay at the Fort so it won't impact me either way, but overall, I think there are more pros than cons if it is built.

I don't think it will be built because the" Wilderness Region", that's what the WL, WL Villias, and the Fort are called, already share management and a few other things. Add another large resort into the mix, and it probably will have to be split up into two distinct resorts, but they'll have a similar theme. Won't they just just cannibalize from each other?

I think the FW DVC will be built because the Fort would be the only MK resort without a DVC. Why would they stop at the Poly?

It's such a unique theme that they'll want to take advantage of it. You can't do some of the things that can be done at the Fort anywhere else on property.

I think that as many rich people stay at the Fort as stay at any of the luxury resorts. Just count the number of high end MHs during a busy period. Why not give them another option? Buy a DVC membership, and get a site for the MH too.

I don't stay at the Fort so it won't impact me either way, but overall, I think there are more pros than cons if it is built.

What is this, a conversation between two of your multiple personalities?

"It won't be built."

"Yes it will."

"Will not."

"Will too."

"Nope"

"Yup."

Poor Gail.  I think it's time for an adjustment of your meds.

One big issue with the overall concept, is that it is still very similar to Wilderness Lodge.  It looks like the plan was to have "boil" or spring outside, which feeds a creek, which feeds a waterfall in the lobby, which cascades into the river pool.  Cool idea, but very similar to the Wilderness Lodge lobby and pool.  However, a really cool pool drawing from River Country would be a huge selling point.  Especially if it is reserved exclusively for DVC owners at the resort.  Which is what they did over at Bay Lake Tower and will undoubtedly do here.

Still, I agree with the Lou persona that says it will be built.  They have to keep building DVC rooms so they have something to sell.  If not here, where?  This particular design may go back to the drawing board for some refinement, but I can't believe that the River Country space will remain vacant forever- it's too valuable.

For me there will be more cons than pros.  But I'm sure that Fort devotees will be in the minority, and the average guest will think this is wonderful.  When it's done, it probably will be wonderful.  But, its proximity to the Fort is going to have a huge negative impact on the Fort camping experience.

TCD

...I don't stay at the Fort so it won't impact me either way, but overall, I think there are more pros than cons if it is built.

Ah but if it impacts Fiends staying at the Fort, it will seriously cut into your mooching.

"It won't be built."

"Yes it will."

"Will not."

"Will too."

"Nope"

"Yup."

Why am I envisioning the scene in Lord of the Rings where Gollum is arguing with himself about whether to kill the nassty hobbitses?

I don't have multiple personalities, yes you do, no I don't, shut up and go away, no, you shut up.

I can't lose if I take both sides.

Poor Gail.  I think it's time for an adjustment of your meds.

First of all, Gail's not poor, and maybe I need to get on some meds so that I can deal with you.

And don't you have some retracting to do on that other FW DVC thread?

And no weaseling out by saying that it wasn't by much. First is first, only if it is first. Close only counts in horseshoes.

Ah but if it impacts Fiends staying at the Fort, it will seriously cut into your mooching.

Let me rethink one of my positions.

I'm still trying to figure out if I think this is going to be a good thing for the Fort.  Part of the allure of the Fort is the relative quiet, the natural side, the take-a-walk-back-in-time feeling you get when returning from a day at the parks.  Right now, the parking lot is out of view to the campers and the trees and shrubs offer a kind of silent reminder that peace and tranquility are awaiting - after a hectic day of running around the parks.  

With a large parking lot right behind loop 700 - my loop - and all of the people curious to see how the campers live, I can't see how that is going to improve Fort Wilderness.  We probably won't be allowed to use any of their cool stuff - like the river floating thing - and the only addition to the Fort itself with be a new dining facility, which will probably be overly crowded.  This is not boding well in my mind.  It just kinda ruins the atmosphere that Disney is trying to create at the Fort.  

If the Fort could expect some upgrading - like new activities, a fabulous new pool, or overall wireless accessibility without having to use that contraption - then perhaps it would be worth having to endure the infusion of parking lots and hotel civilization.  But that upgrading isn't going to happen.  All the money will go to the new DVC.  

Oh, well, what am I griping about?  I probably will be too old to go to the Fort, or anywhere else for that matter, by the time they get the DVC built.

I'm still trying to figure out if I think this is going to be a good thing for the Fort.  Part of the allure of the Fort is the relative quiet, the natural side, the take-a-walk-back-in-time feeling you get when returning from a day at the parks.  Right now, the parking lot is out of view to the campers and the trees and shrubs offer a kind of silent reminder that peace and tranquility are awaiting - after a hectic day of running around the parks.  

With a large parking lot right behind loop 700 - my loop - and all of the people curious to see how the campers live, I can't see how that is going to improve Fort Wilderness.  We probably won't be allowed to use any of their cool stuff - like the river floating thing - and the only addition to the Fort itself with be a new dining facility, which will probably be overly crowded.  This is not boding well in my mind.  It just kinda ruins the atmosphere that Disney is trying to create at the Fort.  

If the Fort could expect some upgrading - like new activities, a fabulous new pool, or overall wireless accessibility without having to use that contraption - then perhaps it would be worth having to endure the infusion of parking lots and hotel civilization.  But that upgrading isn't going to happen.  All the money will go to the new DVC.  

Oh, well, what am I griping about?  I probably will be too old to go to the Fort, or anywhere else for that matter, by the time they get the DVC built.

Great post.

The Fort was designed so there would not be guest vehicles at the Settlement.  Even when River Country was in operation, guests had to park at the Outpost and take a bus (or at one time the train) back.  Those who originally designed the Fort understood the importance of maintaining the wilderness theme, and how a giant parking lot would destroy that.

Fast forward 40 years.  Screw the Fort.  Let's make some money.  Hide the giant parking lot in the corner of the new project, over by the Fort.  The new guests won't have to look at it- they're going to look at Bay Lake and the river pool.  Maybe walk around the quaint Settlement and stop for a drink at Crockett's Tavern.  No problem.

If it does get built, I hope it gets it's own unique entrance to their parking lot that is not thru the middle of Fort Wilderness.  I would hate to see even more traffic.  :(

The plans suggest that traffic will be coming in from Wilderness Way- from the other side of the Fort.

I would guess that they're going to put in a new road somewhere between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge entrances, and have a dedicated and nicely landscaped entry drive for this new resort.

TCD