We've got ADRs in a couple of weeks.  How were the new sandwiches?

I'm a big fan of beets, so I enjoyed the new addition there.

After that I'm a bit torn. I really enjoyed the pear and stilton they used to have, and tomatoes aren't exactly my favorite.

Wish I knew their recipe for the onion tart. Those things are so good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went for tea again today - my first time since March. We didn't get Riley as our server this time and I don't know if it was because she had the day off or because she's moved on.   As best I can tell

Score another one for Fiends on the scene!

That actually looks pretty good.  Please let me know who to turn in my man card to.  

• 1 month later...

I dragged DH here Thanksgiving week.  He'd been years ago, but there have been a lot of changes on the menu since.  He was amazed at not only how good the food was, but how much they bring you.  People think "tea" is a few finger sandwiches.  Not here!  We ate at about 3pm and skipped dinner.

We ordered the Gentleman's Tea Platter and the Buckingham Palace and shared everything.

10801601_10205693666488103_7865380916315

Fantastic cheese plate.  We ordered this separately and were told you can only order it a la carte if you order a regular meal off the menu. In here is a great blue stilton, sage cheddar, boursin, and 2 great cheddars.  All the fruit was fresh and delicious too.

16775_10205693666808111_5559175363953333

Finger sandwiches - tomato, cucumber and watercress, egg salad, beet & goat cheese, curry chicken, onion tart.

The onion tart is still killer and the egg salad is the best I've ever had.  Everything else was also good.

1531549_10205693667128119_65664813613452

Cheeses and pates - all yummy!

Duck & cherry terrine, chicken & pork roulade, country pate en croute, marinated berries, cumberland sauce and English Blue Stilton

10153762_10205693667408126_8038849049946

Cranberry scone and raspberry tart, served with raspberry jam, clotted cream and lemon curd.  As my SIL would say, these are made from the laughter of angels.  LOL

1486929_10205693667608131_67104276797141

Strawberries and cream

10513268_10205693668248147_2886965407458

Assorted pastries - eclair, cream puff, and chocolate dipped strawberry.

In a change from last year, they no longer bring you a platter of desserts to choose from.  They just bring you this.

DH got a pot of the gingerbread tea - which I think is probably a seasonal selection - and it was very yummy.  I got the Mad Hatter - which is super delicious.

• 1 month later...

Squeaked in a day trip to the Magic Kingdom by myself yesterday and went alone for afternoon tea.

At which time I discovered that they've changed the menu! And the prices!

Spoiler alert: I'm not a fan of change, and I liked the old menu and prices better.

Here we go. Since the menu options were new, I took pictures of each of the new "-shire" tea options. They start with the most expensive...

Yorkshire - $175, service for two.

wm2GsUEl.jpg

Berkshire - Same food as above, but save $25 by not having champagne.

FsbQtgil.jpg

Cheshire - No caviar, but you get cheese with your cheese. (What?)

406dpP0l.jpg

Derbyshire - Only one serving of cheese and comes with champagne.

Xy02CTfl.jpg

Bedfordshire - No champagne. This is as close as you'll get to the old Buckingham Palace tea service, which was $25. This is $30.

EtXPTdTl.jpg

Mrs Potts Tea - Doesn't get a "-shire" name apparently. I never paid much attention to this on the old menu, so I can't tell you what's changed (if anything).

D2SgiVvl.jpg

Let's get started. Tea for one (before they took away the extra cup).

JDvqSJXl.jpg

We now start off with this: assortment of fruit (two kinds of grapes, some blueberries and two raspberries), three pieces of cheese (Stilton, a cheddar I think, and I forget what the greenish one was), what I assume the "lavosh" is - the thin crispy bread to go with the crackers, four sandwiches (curried chicken, egg salad, cucumber, open faced beet) and of course the onion tart. The open faced tomato sandwich I had in October is gone.

0LLKTlOl.jpg

My initial impressions? Everything here felt like it had been plated at 10 am (my ADR was for 3:55 pm). The cheese was kind of rubbery and had been exposed to air long enough to have a layer of "skin". Some of the lavosh had taken on moisture from the cheese and weren't fresh. Bread in sandwiches wasn't so soft either. And although there are people who appreciate fruit, I don't go to afternoon tea to get my 5 servings a day... Onion tart is the highlight. I love those things. (Did I mention that my Mom tried making them at Christmas? Not quite as good, but pretty tasty for a first attempt.)

With regards to the cheese, those were also pretty substantial chunks. And although I like cheese, I remember the cheese-free tea days and that already left me plenty full without adding more food to the offering.

Here's a non-closeup shot for scale.

uIWZgaTl.jpg

Scone, jam tart, clotted cream... Nothing new to report here. Scone was warm and fresh. Jam had chunks of strawberries in it, which I don't remember having last time. I tend to ignore the lemon curd and double up on the clotted cream.

bnCWDxIl.jpg

Yum.

au4FJJJl.jpg

For dessert you still get your choice of: berries & cream (pre-assembled the day before), 3 pastries, or the seasonal trifle. Today's seasonal trifle was cranberry. I opted for the pastries. Today's swan filling was hazelnut.

3wnvQj8l.jpg

At this point I should note that the table to my right was a mother & daughter, and the table to my left was another solo woman diner. By the dessert course we all started to get a little chatty and were unanimous in our disapproval of the current state of the berries and cream. The solo diner went so far as to complain a while ago, at which time she was assured that the berries are "fresh". Perhaps... But they're still mushy by the time they reach the table.

My server Riley was lovely and helpful. I have tea booked again in March with my Mom so I'll be curious to hear her opinion on the changes. I wish I'd asked if you can order just scones with cream and jam ("cream tea").

Anyone else been since the change? I get the impression it's fairly recent. Am I the only grump?  :lol:

Thanks for the info!

This is definitely new since November and I don't think I'm a fan of the menu changes.  I am definitely not a fan of cheese that's been laying around or ditching the onion tarts.

They've also done away with 3 of our favorite menu offerings - Buckingham, Princess Kate and Gentleman's.  The new items don't come close to the last 2.  :(

Here's hoping you're not the only one not keen on these changes and they don't stick around.

Thanks for the info!

This is definitely new since November and I don't think I'm a fan of the menu changes.  I am definitely not a fan of cheese that's been laying around or ditching the onion tarts.

They've also done away with 3 of our favorite menu offerings - Buckingham, Princess Kate and Gentleman's.  The new items don't come close to the last 2.  :(

Here's hoping you're not the only one not keen on these changes and they don't stick around.

Fortunately the onion tart is still there. (I took a picture of just the tart but didn't post it.) My server said they knew there'd be riots if they got rid of the onion tart.

You're right that the menu really has changed a lot. I'd love for it to be changed back by the time I get there in March but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm so disappointed!  They've done away with the walnuts on the cheese plate, and there seems to be no potted shrimp (which I loved but I'm sure I'm in the minority).  And since I don't eat cucumbers, egg salad, or beets, looks like I'm out of luck with the sandwiches.  Bummer!  Might as well go to the bar, order a cup of tea and a glass of champagne, and save some money to spend somewhere else.  Thanks for the report!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like wedinator scooped the Disney Food Blog on the chnages to afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge - well done!  Here's the article they posted this week...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/02/06/news-changes-to-afternoon-tea-packages-at-the-grand-floridians-garden-view-lounge/#more-121957

Looks like wendinator scooped the Disney Food Blog on the chnages to afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge - well done!  Here's the article they posted this week...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/02/06/news-changes-to-afternoon-tea-packages-at-the-grand-floridians-garden-view-lounge/#more-121957

Score another one for Fiends on the scene!

it is just a thought but the tea is only open a few hours with a small amount of tables.  If they had free refills they could end up with people bringing books and filling a table for the whole time.  That would prevent others from enjoying the experience.  Most beverages at WDW are not free refills are they?

it is just a thought but the tea is only open a few hours with a small amount of tables.  If they had free refills they could end up with people bringing books and filling a table for the whole time. 

Oh I could definitely see that happening as it's a lovely room with couches and comfy chairs. 

• 1 month later...

What's that you say? You need another tea report from me since it's only been 2 months since the last one? Well... ok. If you insist!

This time I was back with my Mom and once again had Riley as our server. She's great!

After we were seated I was looking around at the other tables and I noticed that the tray they bring with jam, lemon curd and clotted cream was distinctly lacking in strawberry jam. When Riley took our order, I inquired about the jam situation. She said it was apricot, which although I'm sure was lovely, just wasn't what I had in mind for my scone. I asked if by any chance they had any strawberry. She said she'd inquire.

Nothing new with the tea, china, or tea cozy.

ANcx66Rl.jpg

Slight change with the cheese since my last time. In January I was served three pieces, including Stilton. The Stilton is gone now, so you just get the Irish cheddar and the sage cheese that I always forget the name of. Sandwiches were mostly the same, though the beet was soaked in balsamic which gave it a nice flavor that I don't remember from the last time. But maybe I just forgot. Onion tart is still there, hiding under the green cheese. I thought the bread was a little fresher this time too.

av29rxnl.jpg?1

From my last time I felt that the cheese was too much food, so I brought a ziploc bag and just stashed it away for later. Mom and I shared the cheese that was on her plate and that was plenty. Riley asked us how we felt about the changes and I mentioned that I thought there was too much with the addition of the fruit and cheese. Based on her reaction it appears I'm in the minority.

When it was time for the scone course, guess who appeared with strawberry jam? Riley to the rescue.

ZCYH5v2l.jpg

Here's the plate I got and you can see the jam I passed on.

M4BVB8yl.jpg

I learned something new on this visit! Apparently if you're nice to Riley (which isn't hard to do), she'll bring you two scones instead of a scone and a jam tart. Mom opted for the two scones, I stuck with the jam tart.

theGMYGl.jpg

My husband gave me the idea to slather the lemon curd on top of the jam tart. Yum!

HOTPKpvl.jpg

Being something of a glutton, I find they never give you enough clotted cream for even one scone, nevermind two. Riley didn't hesitate to bring us more. Here's my scone with strawberry jam and the entire portion of clotted cream on top.

Ip8CIGnl.jpg

When it came time for dessert I decided to break with my usual tradition of the pastries and I went with the trifle of the day, which was bananas foster. It was actually pretty good. This was the first time I'd had it.

wpBbH9jl.jpg

Mom opted for the pastries. The swan was Bailey's flavor and Mom really enjoyed it.

6cpqGqnl.jpg

I suspect this will be my last tea report until this coming December.

I really did need another tea report as my window for fall ADRs is opening up before too long and I needed to decide if I'm going back since the changes so... thanks!!  :)

Thanks also for the tips about the scones (mmmm... scones).

And you should slather lemon curd on everything.

Just sayin...

• 3 months later...