Runner's years long trip to The Dopey ... and beyond!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad I could be  part of keeping you moving Ed. 

Thank you schmuckface,  I forgot where I was posting.   I hereby retract any apologies.  I'm really not sorry.   TCD

Nope - Some Red and sprinkle in some White Stars ... I'm going to sport the Red, White and Blue!

Have you ever driven in to the city from the airport?

With your windows down?

TCD

Yes.  Spent a lot of time in the city this past August right after we moved up here.  Other than down by Penn's Landing, don't recall any foul aromas in the air, and even that was just typical marina gunk smell.  Or is that some kind of sports jab I am not getting?

Perhaps my olfactory senses are immune after living in Jacksonville for so long.  And spending a great deal of time in southeast GA near all of those paper mills. 

Yes.  Spent a lot of time in the city this past August right after we moved up here.  Other than down by Penn's Landing, don't recall any foul aromas in the air, and even that was just typical marina gunk smell.  Or is that some kind of sports jab I am not getting?

Perhaps my olfactory senses are immune after living in Jacksonville for so long.  And spending a great deal of time in southeast GA near all of those paper mills. 

Maybe it's been cleaned up since I was last there, but there used to be a bunch of smoke belching oil refinery equipment right outside of the city.  It was still there five or six year ago, which is when I last had the pleasure of visiting.

Gross and filthy.

TCD

Maybe it's been cleaned up since I was last there, but there used to be a bunch of smoke belching oil refinery equipment right outside of the city.  It was still there five or six year ago, which is when I last had the pleasure of visiting.

Gross and filthy.

TCD

They are still there but what is worse is the sewage treatment plant right near the airport, then all the junk yards and the large car recycle plant just across the Platt Bridge. The stench from the sports team is something the locals are just used to :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Friday, I received an e-mail from the VA group in charge of getting me my "adaptive sports equipment" ... i.e. my racing chair. I have been sending them my times and photos, as they requested. They want me to represent the North Florida/South Georgia Veteran's Health Care System at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games! Placing well there would qualify me for a spot on a VA National team. OMG! Philadelphia, PA August 12-17 ... I need a Team Fort Fiends shirt!

Ed that is great!! We live closer than I'd like to admit to Philly so if it happens, let me know! We will be of any help we can, and for sure would come and cheer!

Ed:  I apologize for the hijack and changing subjects here.  Look forward to the next installment of the races.

As a total Philly noob, I am quite curious as to what all of the negative remarks about my new city are about.  I really like it here, but if I am missing something (that has nothing to do with sports teams or odd odors), I want to know.  For information's sake, not to engage in any sort of debate.

I grew up in rural NY state and spent the majority of my adult life thus far in Florida.  Philly isn't yet like home for me, but I was going to try and become more acclimated at least for my sons to have a sense of a home town.

Ed:  I apologize for the hijack and changing subjects here.  Look forward to the next installment of the races.

As a total Philly noob, I am quite curious as to what all of the negative remarks about my new city are about.  I really like it here, but if I am missing something (that has nothing to do with sports teams or odd odors), I want to know.  For information's sake, not to engage in any sort of debate.

I grew up in rural NY state and spent the majority of my adult life thus far in Florida.  Philly isn't yet like home for me, but I was going to try and become more acclimated at least for my sons to have a sense of a home town.

There really is nothing wrong with Philly more then any other large city, they are just more the brunt of jokes. There is a lot to see and do around the city it's just I grew up near there and am just not a fan of large cities, try to check out the Phila. Zoo when the weather warms did you know it is oldest zoo in the country.

What else is nice in the location within 2 hours ( almost) you can be in the beach or the mountains, so just step back and look around end you find plenty to see and create their own hometown.

There really is nothing wrong with Philly more then any other large city, they are just more the brunt of jokes. There is a lot to see and do around the city it's just I grew up near there and am just not a fan of large cities, try to check out the Phila. Zoo when the weather warms did you know it is oldest zoo in the country.

What else is nice in the location within 2 hours ( almost) you can be in the beach or the mountains, so just step back and look around end you find plenty to see and create their own hometown.

I also apologize for the hijack.

And I apologize to Cyndee for disparaging her new home.  I agree that like any big city, there are nice parts of Philadelphia.  I took my kids to visit there and see my old stomping grounds a few years ago.  I prefer where I live now.  I really like the more laid back attitude people have in Florida.  And the weather.  And non-polluted air.  But that's just me.

TCD

Are the Fort Fiends sick? Is there a virus running around? Fiends hijack threads, and they do NOT apologize for doing so. Hijacking and Snark are a requirement! Are we going to have to send some of you back to Fiend School?

Are the Fort Fiends sick? Is there a virus running around? Fiends hijack threads, and they do NOT apologize for doing so. Hijacking and Snark are a requirement! Are we going to have to send some of you back to Fiend School?

Thank you schmuckface,  I forgot where I was posting.

I hereby retract any apologies.  I'm really not sorry.

TCD

Thank you schmuckface,  I forgot where I was posting.

I hereby retract any apologies.  I'm really not sorry.

TCD

Suck it d-bag.

I like it here.  I liked in FL.  Bloom where you're planted.

Ed, is that better?

LOL.

Good job.

You're going to fit right in there in Philly.

TCD

HA!  

NOW I'm getting a straight answer……..

But I must tell you, I learned that offensive language from my good friend Ed (not Runner Ed), who hails from……wait for it…….Long Beach Island, NEW JERSEY!!!

fortpartyof4, my family is from South Jersey (I'm one of the few Southerners in the family.) I actually think that South Jersey gets a bad wrap. The shopping complexes are ugly to me, but the rest of it is pretty nice- lots of green space and more rural than most realize. Do be warned though, when you head to the Shore (or what most of people outside of Jersey call the beach), you will be a Shoobie because you're from Philly.

PS- Do yourself a favor and head to Atlantic City for a White House Sub.

fortpartyof4, my family is from South Jersey (I'm one of the few Southerners in the family.) I actually think that South Jersey gets a bad wrap. The shopping complexes are ugly to me, but the rest of it is pretty nice- lots of green space and more rural than most realize. Do be warned though, when you head to the Shore (or what most of people outside of Jersey call the beach), you will be a Shoobie because you're from Philly.

PS- Do yourself a favor and head to Atlantic City for a White House Sub.

Thank you for that tip!  I love subs.  So you're from NJ and call it a sub!  My son has already started using the term hoagie.

We did go to the shore once last summer.  I had never spent much time at all in NJ and was pleasantly surprised by the landscape on our drive out there.  We took back roads, it was really pretty.

Believe me, I am not so naive to think that Philly is this beautiful city with a spotless reputation.  We live well out of the urban area, and while I like going into the city for events and to sight-see, I wouldn't want to live there.  But it's got a lot more variety of things to see and do than where we lived before.

OK Ed, let's get back to the race report here.  I am dying to see some of the get-ups some of the runners wore!

A colleague of mine returned to work today from running the Disney marathon for the first time.  She was so impressed by how organized everything was and the amount of people participating.  When I told her that I knew of somone running with a bike she asked me to pass this on to you.  When she was hot and tired and wondering how she would finish, she would see one of you guys on the bikes and you would give her the inspiration to push through it.  You guys were going through alot more than she was and still participating.  When I told her you were a disabled vet she wanted me to thank for your service.  So Ed you were an inspiration to someone in Central IL.

Believe me, I am not so naive to think that Philly is this beautiful city with a spotless reputation.  We live well out of the urban area, and while I like going into the city for events and to sight-see, I wouldn't want to live there.  But it's got a lot more variety of things to see and do than where we lived before.

Where about are you suburban wise, I lived in the area for 36 years and I can give you some good ideas of things to see and do.

Thank you for that tip!  I love subs.  So you're from NJ and call it a sub!  My son has already started using the term hoagie.

We did go to the shore once last summer.  I had never spent much time at all in NJ and was pleasantly surprised by the landscape on our drive out there.  We took back roads, it was really pretty.

OK Ed, let's get back to the race report here.  I am dying to see some of the get-ups some of the runners wore!

Oh no no, I am not from NJ. But, both my parents are. I'm a GA native and have lived in FL. And in South Jersey, they're SUBS!

Ed, what happened to the race report!??! Or are you enjoying the hijack? LOL!