• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are planning where to set off the sink hole that will swallow the Fort.   This will save them on demolition costs and speed up the River Country DVC project.   It will get rid of those undesireab

Construction is supposed to start in about 1 to 2 weeks at the "old" 3 way..They are going to add a walkway to the right (as you face the Settlement) that will merge about 20 to 30 feet past the stop

They are just about ready to pour that walkway. Also seeing lots of surveyors, construction stakes around the 700 and 800 loops.

Could be nothing.

I've seen lots of assemblies like that before.

They could just be discussing where to go for lunch.

TCD

And here I thought that was only a state job thing :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

They are planning where to set off the sink hole that will swallow the Fort.

This will save them on demolition costs and speed up the River Country DVC project.

It will get rid of those undesireable campers and get some real $$ flowing.

Why rent out a space for $125 a night when you could get $450 a night?

Could be nothing.

I've seen lots of assemblies like that before.

They could just be discussing where to go for lunch.

TCD

They all had some kind of drawings/plans, notebooks and as we were leaving they all crossed over to the end of the cart path.  Didn't get a chance to ask "what's up"..

This is where they take the southern branch and the western branch and join them into one sweeping curve and then join the other two at 90 degrees to it... that way all the DVC folks don't have to stop or deal with a left hand turn to get to their resort. (/ end totally-unfounded-speculation)

After much consideration I think I have found a safe way to ask, where exactly is that picture?

Where the cart path goes to the Settlement (I'm standing at the entrance to the 400 loop)

Jeff-

Note that Grumpy/Dave called it the three way in the original post.

That's what the old timers call that intersection to distinguish it from the four-way stop intersection as you enter the Fort.

That three-way used to just have three stop signs- the buses coming out of the bus stop area didn't have to stop.  There's actually a stop sign there now, so technically it's now a four way, but those of us with a history at the Fort call it the three-way.

I know you've been there many times.  Now you know what to call it.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

Construction is supposed to start in about 1 to 2 weeks at the "old" 3 way..They are going to add a walkway to the right (as you face the Settlement) that will merge about 20 to 30 feet past the stop sign with the cart path.(the wood wall and mound get leveled out)This will eliminate the pedestrian/GC congestion right at the road. According to the contractor there are other small walkway projects that are to be done involving similar types of improvements. This one is the only one currently under contract.

Rumor is that a seperate sidewalk may eventually run parallel to the cart path. Supposedly the various changes/improvements are part of the final resolution with the family of the boy that got killed by the bus several years ago.

Jeff-

Note that Grumpy/Dave called it the three way in the original post.

That's what the old timers call that intersection to distinguish it from the four-way stop intersection as you enter the Fort.

That three-way used to just have three stop signs- the buses coming out of the bus stop area didn't have to stop.  There's actually a stop sign there now, so technically it's now a four way, but those of us with a history at the Fort call it the three-way.

I know you've been there many times.  Now you know what to call it.

TCD

Okay, now I'm confused.  The picture is taken pointing at the intersection, and beyond that is where the new DVC site is going to be, right?  If that is the one I'm thinking of, I understand the three way moniker because there are three roads that come together (or one road with a T intersection).  Where does the fourth way come into play with the addition of a stop sign?  Are we counting the cart path as part of the intersection?

Okay, now I'm confused.  The picture is taken pointing at the intersection, and beyond that is where the new DVC site is going to be, right?  If that is the one I'm thinking of, I understand the three way moniker because there are three roads that come together (or one road with a T intersection).  Where does the fourth way come into play with the addition of a stop sign?  Are we counting the cart path as part of the intersection?

Yes. The cart path always had a stop sign the buses didn't, now they do.

Supposedly the various changes/improvements are part of the final resolution with the family of the boy that got killed by the bus several years ago.

I'll be interested to see how this all plays out as far preventing what happened.

Some of you may have noticed that some of the WDW buses have a curved rubber looking device hanging down in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

Anyone know what that's for? It's related to the last part in the quoted post.

After someone answers it, I'll give you the rest of the ironic story.

I'll be interested to see how this all plays out as far preventing what happened.

Some of you may have noticed that some of the WDW buses have a curved rubber looking device hanging down in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

After someone answers it, I'll give you the rest of the ironic story.

It's probably a feeble attempt to keep handle bars and people from ending up between the tire and the wheel well. As I understand the improvements/changes it is to try and eliminate un-safe situations. One of the other rumors is to remove or relocate the Settlement bus stop GC parking area since as its current location is considered a safety hazard.

After someone answers it, I'll give you the rest of the ironic story.

My best guess:  Is it something to do with cutting sharp corners?

It's probably a feeble attempt to keep handle bars and people from ending up between the tire and the wheel well.

No, it's not a feeble attempt, it's been proven to work. It's being used across the country on certain model buses.

If anything manages to go under the bus between the front and rear wheels, the device acts as a barrier and as a plow to move the object away from the wheels.

The company that manufactures it actually uses a person under a bus to demonstrate how effective it is. Where do I sign up for that job?

Here's the rest of the story. 

The devices are not installed on the Fort's internal buses. They use Gillig buses pretty much exclusively, and they are too low for the device. It would drag on the road with just a little up and down action. They are however on the Nova buses which are not used at the Fort unless they don't have any Gillig buses left.

Even on the Nova buses, the device bottoms out at certain speed bumps.

So the safety device that was implemented as a result of the accident, is not able to be used on the buses which operate where the accident occurred.