Long story short had to leave wisconsin early ahead of the storm. Central rez and the front desk say nothing available. Is that really true? There has gotta be one site somewhere.

There is a KOA at Wildwood which is only about a hour North of the FORT if you can't get in. It's at the exit right before the turnpike.

Just got back from looping - every loop had empty spots. Most had 3-5 empty sites. The 100, 1100, and 1200 loop only had one empty site each. Three loops had 8-10 empty sites and all the rest had anywhere between 3-5 empty sites It's early afternoon and some of those sites were being filled as we were driving. However, if the Fort is completely booked, it seems like a lot of people to be arriving on Sunday of a holiday week-end.

For the benefit of anyone hoping to get a walk-up site at the Fort, let me tell you that if you call the regular reservation number and they say there are no sites available, you're going to get the same answer at the front desk.

Several years ago, there was a passholder event at Animal Kingdom when the Primeval Whirl ride opened.  I tried and tried to get a one night reservation at AKL, but nothing was available. We went anyway.  I naively thought that I would be able to walk in to AKL and speak to someone at the front desk and get a room.  So I tried that.  When I got to the front desk and asked if they had any rooms for the night, the CM passed me a phone so I could call the reservation number and ask.  Since then, I've seen that exact same thing done at the Fort front desk when someone has arrived with no reservation.

You would think a company the size of Disney could figure out a better way to run things. 

TCD

I do remember the days when you could just drive up and get reservation. My parents did this all the time when we were kids. Aaah the good old days...

Yea and what makes it Bizarre is there were fewer sites and the prices were much more reasonable.