New member with campsite question

We towed our 36' TT with a suburban, which probably made it about as long as our MH, not WAY longer. Like I said, we fit in a preferred along with several other coaches of similar size. But like I also said, we are switching to premium for future visits. But I wouldn't rule out preferred if it was our only option.

A Suburban is about 18 or 19 feet long.  So, a 36' trailer and a Suburban combo would be at least 54 or 55 feet.  To me, that's way longer than a 45' motor home when you're looking at trying to back into a site with all kinds of obstructions around.

We also fit into a preferred on the 300 loop with a 40ft fiver pulled a dodge mega cab. That's why if I ever got assigned to the 300 again, Id go somewhere else. Preferred sites are called marriage testers. it'll make your marriage stronger or end in divorce.

And having towed a trailer before, you know there's a huge difference in backing a moho and backing a trailer and tow vehicle. You need way more room and skill to back a trailer.

That's the point way trying to make- you don't have much room to maneuver on the preferred loops, and you need room to maneuver if you're backing up a trailer.  Especially a travel trailer.

TCD

Preferred sites are called marriage testers. it'll make your marriage stronger or end in divorce.

And having towed a trailer before, you know there's a huge difference in backing a moho and backing a trailer and tow vehicle. You need way more room and skill to back a trailer.

We started saving our marriage many years ago. Linda just stayed in the truck. :rofl2:

And there are still many who can't back either. :rofl3:

FWIW we tow a 33' trailer with an Excursion - which puts us as about 50' long - and we've gotten it into 300 a few times. Prior to that our tow vehicle was a Lincoln Navigator, which is was a bit shorter.

Of course that said we've only tried to fit it in site 335.

Which ends up looking like this...

Camper335.jpg

6342435642_900d054c6f_b.jpg

Truck335.jpg

We started saving our marriage many years ago. Linda just stayed in the truck. :rofl2:

That's how we back in now. She sits quietly in the passenger seat and I back in. If I need to get out and check I do. We have a nice dinner that night cause we are still on speaking terms.

Too true.  I've seen 40' plus MH pull into 300 sites like on the first try like it was nothing, and people with less than 30' campers struggle like crazy.

Although I have to say that the one that flattened the trash can the last time was a MH.  8)

We role the same way, she stays in the truck till I get into the site then she gets out to see where I want either the back of the 5th wheel or maybe the sewer pipe to line up. I want to teach her to drive and back up the camper but you know that is not going to happen

This is our one and only 300 loop experience. You can see the basic room you get. The part you don't see is the bumper of the fiver is against the tree behind us. The wife had to guide me back to give us some room to get the tow vehicle in there.

11034_170272133662_153813_n.jpg

And we couldn't get the awning all the way open cause of a tree on the side.

11034_170272143662_6964377_n.jpg

We role the same way, she stays in the truck till I get into the site then she gets out to see where I want either the back of the 5th wheel or maybe the sewer pipe to line up. I want to teach her to drive and back up the camper but you know that is not going to happen

To back the camper! I'd be thrilled if I could get mine to drive from rest area to rest area so I could take a breather. No real turning, one merge, and certainly no reversing! She won't do it. 

To back the camper! I'd be thrilled if I could get mine to drive from rest area to rest area so I could take a breather. No real turning, one merge, and certainly no reversing! She won't do it. 

She would drive the 1st crew cab truck with a small cargo trailer we used for scouts but with our 39; 5th wheel she says no way, what is she going to do when I get the class 8 tractor I want to tow with. I guess she will only drive the car then.

I drive ours nearly the entire 1400 miles each way.

Forward.

When we get to our destination I jump out and he takes the wheel.  8)

When we were there once a very nice motor coach was pulling out of his site, you know how just pull forward a little to clear the apron then turn, right  well we heard a large scrapping noise. He scraped the lower right side and put a gouge the whole length of his coach and never stopped  to see what he did, he was either embarrassed or did not know he did it,

My thought....if u know it's only cosmetic......stopping and looking at it won't fix it

My thought....if u know it's only cosmetic......stopping and looking at it won't fix it

Very good thought and it was mostly his cargo doors but still should have checked to see if any were falling off, but maybe he could see from his mirror

Very good thought and it was mostly his cargo doors but still should have checked to see if any were falling off, but maybe he could see from his mirror

Cargo door repairs can be very expensive...

Maybe it wasn't his first time to that rodeo and knew what it was :clint:

Rennie,  I thought I was the only sick SOB who enjoyed the scene at the local boat ramp.  At a private camp ground in the Keys I learned that between 4-6 PM on Friday Saturday or Sunday you could go and watch all the boater who have been drinking, I mean fishing all day, trying to get their boats out of the water by backing their trailer and then their entire tow vehicle into the ocean to try and pull their boat out.  They would then jump out of whatever they were in and slip on the slick boat ramp and fall face first into the water.  Good times.  

The most absurd was the guy backing a fiver into a site on the 400 loop end up with the tow vehicle sideways in the site with the fiver jack knifed. Not sure how he did it, but he did.

Actually, that takes some skill.  The easy way to do it is start with the tow vehicle turned the wrong direction for your back in site.  That is, the tow vehicle is turned to make backing into a campsite on the left side easy, but you're aiming for a campsite on the right.  Now add a spotter that has no concept of when the tow vehicle and trailer are at an angle in which you cannot stop it from over turning or keep it from turning in one direction.  Now have that spotter concentrate just on the trailer and...bingo!  The trailer's in the site perfectly with the tow vehicle jacked knifed.  Been there, done that, think we did it on site 634 in Nov 2010.    David

Rennie, I thought I was the only sick SOB who enjoyed the scene at the local boat ramp. At a private camp ground in the Keys I learned that between 4-6 PM on Friday Saturday or Sunday you could go and watch all the boater who have been drinking, I mean fishing all day, trying to get their boats out of the water by backing their trailer and then their entire tow vehicle into the ocean to try and pull their boat out. They would then jump out of whatever they were in and slip on the slick boat ramp and fall face first into the water. Good times.

Add me to the list of watching boaters getting their boats out. We keep out boat at the marina and our slip is about 100-150 yds from the ramp. Ill have to find the picture of the guy who set his boat on fire. It burned completely up.

My old camper was a 39 ft Sierra Travel Trailer with 2 driver side slides and a 21 ft awning. Overall length was 43 ft from coupler to rear bumper. My tow vehicle was a Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually and it was 23 ft long with the weight distribution hitch. That is a total length of 66 ft hitched. Once unhitched I needed a couple more feet.  We never put it in the 300 loop. But it has been in the 100 preferred 400, 500, 1300 premium and 1600, 1700 Full hook up sites. I would be a nervous wreck trying to pull it around the 300 loop.  I had a hard enough time getting it around the 100 and 400 loops.  The 1300, 1600, 1700 was no problem.  But I am a professional driver with a cdl so what seems easy to me may bee hard to others.

This is a picture of our setup when we had the Dodge Ram Mega Cab Also 22 ft long.  This is in the 1300 loop near the campfire ring.

971024_10201281906116169_2096501122_n.jp

This is the old F350 after it was converted to SRW. Overal length is 66 ft.  That trip we were in the 1700 loop.

559413_3821977874448_335740848_n.jpg

The key for us to get the most room was to put the driver side tires on the edge of the concrete and go as far back as possible and try to center the power pole between the 2 slide outs.