Do it at home Hoop Dee Doo Dinner

Some of you may recall that my family did a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night at home last year. (My previous post is quoted below.)

We liked it so much that we decided to make it an annual tradition, and because we like to plan ahead, we've set a date this year for Saturday, February 22.

Why not plan your own for that same date? I'd love to see the pictures from other families having the same kind of fun. (And giving me ideas to steal for next year.)

Anyone else up for it? You've got 29 days to make it happen. You can do it!

After seeing a post for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue corn bread recipe, my family (three generations) decided that we should have a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night. Here's what we did...

Food

1. My Mom made the cornbread using the official recipe. At first she thought one pan wasn't enough for the 8 of us, but looks were deceiving and we had plenty. Mom also mixed up some butter with maple syrup. Yummy!
  2. Mom made mashed potatoes.
  3. Mom made a pot of brown beans using a family recipe (I can post it if anyone's interested, it's fairly sweet because it uses mincemeat).
  4. My sister made fried chicken (her husband wanted boneless chicken).
  5. I, being lazy and mostly unable to cook, picked up 3 racks of ribs from a local BBQ joint. (Memphis BBQ for those of you in the Toronto area.)
  6. Mom made some corn on the cob and cut it into thirds.
  7. Mom made a salad (I tried to talk her out of it, but she was going for authenticity!).
  8. My sister made the cake for strawberry shortcake, along with the strawberry topping (big bag of frozen strawberries thawed, and some mashed up a bit to make them saucier). Mom made real whipped cream. (Can you tell our Mom spoils us?)

Decor

1. Mom made red and white checkered napkins for everyone. She thought about making a tablecloth too, but we decided napkins were enough. You might be able to buy a plastic tablecloth with that same red/white pattern.
  2. I bought 500 ml Mason jars to drink out of. (For Canadians, Canadian Tire had them on for a box of 12 for $8.)
  3. Having bought them on previous trips, we used our Mickey Mouse glow ice cubes.
  4. We had a data projector showing the full Hoop Dee Doo show from YouTube. The video is a little shaky, but we were mostly too busy eating to notice. We turned up the volume for some songs but generally just had it playing in the background. It was interesting to note that our home meal pacing was about the same as the video. When we were ready for dessert, so was the video.
  5. We joked that if anyone had to go to the bathroom, you had to go to the neighbour's house.

Next Time

1. We plan to make this an annual tradition. Next year we're going to make sure to get straws with paper on the outside so we can blow the wrappers at each other.
  2. Washboards! Don't know how/where we'll get them. Maybe some other acceptable noisemaker substitute.

Pictures! Forgot to get a dessert picture. Too busy eating!

Some of you may recall that my family did a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night at home last year. (My previous post is quoted below.)

We liked it so much that we decided to make it an annual tradition, and because we like to plan ahead, we've set a date this year for Saturday, February 22.

What was your address again? :rofl2: :rofl3:

looks like canada....i'm out...

too cold there

Ok then only come as far as my house.

:rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2: 

This looks like a fun idea!

If this winter keeps on the way it's been going, a Hoop Dee Doo feast of some down home comfort foods might be just what the doctor ordered.

I am not sure about the date.  That is youngest's 7th birthday and she wants bacon dogs for dinner.  Also, I may have extended family over that day for lunch and cake.

BUT, I love the idea. I'm not sure my family would enjoy it as much as I do.  maybe we could do it sometime that week for my birthday. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some of you may recall that my family did a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night at home last year.

Why not plan your own for that same date? I'd love to see the pictures from other families having the same kind of fun. (And giving me ideas to steal for next year.)

Anyone else up for it? You've got 29 days to make it happen. You can do it!

We've made our plans for another home game version of the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. It's our third year in a row and this time we're doing it on June 7.

Anybody else done this or planning to?

We've made our plans for another home game version of the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. It's our third year in a row and this time we're doing it on June 7.

Anybody else done this or planning to?

Sounds like a great time.

My new eating habits won't let me. But I'd love to see pix of y'all's event.