This might be over thinking things a bit, but I have some flexibility in when I can start my vacation in a year, and I was wondering what the best arrival day may be to maybe get the site I want? I know sites can be requested, and this should be done just a few days before arrival, but is there an arrival day of the week when more sites clear out?

First of all welcome! Glad your here!

I would think Sunday would be the best day to check in since all the weekenders will be checking out. You can and should fax a site request a few days before you arrive to the Fort. Someone will along shortly to give you more details on how to get the site you'd like.

I don't agree with Sunday being the best day to check in.  Yes, the weekend crowds will be checking out, but the Fort doesn't increase staff to get the sites cleaned and turned over.  There might be a lot of empty sites, but they're not going to put the next camper on them until a slowpoke site cleaner radios in and an even slower supervisor OK's the site for occupancy.

The best days to check in would be Monday to Thursday.  If you get there early (like 10 or 11), chances are that there will be plenty of clean sites ready for you to check-in to.

But, you never know.  Official check in time is 1 pm.

During slow times, they might be doing maintenance or improvements, and sites won't be ready early, even though they're not occupied.  There are times during the off season that they shut down entire loops during the week so they can work on utilities and such.

Still, your best chance of having multiple sites to pick from would be to check in early on a weekday.

TCD

This might be over thinking things a bit

I'm a big fan of over planning and over thinking trips to WDW.

Ask me and I'll show you my spreadsheets.

I would think Sunday would be the best day to check in since all the weekenders will be checking out.

While it sounds logical, and as TCD explained, it's not.

I'm thought of as mainly a bus driver, but the majority my experience at WDW is working in the Front Office at various resorts, 5, but who's counting, the Fort not being one of them.

I prefer it when it's extra busy, so I loved working Sunday mornings at the resorts. It was a zoo. Get everyone out, and get everyone in........eventually.

Sunday is the busiest check out/check-in day, at WDW resorts, but if you decide to check-in on a Sunday, unless it's a slower time of the year, expect a room later rather than sooner.

According to TCD, that's also the case at the Fort, and Monday would be the better day.

I don't agree with Sunday being the best day to check in. 

I hate it when I have to agree with "the great one"

I think the best day to start a vacation is today, with tomorrow running a close second.

This is the response of the day, brilliant Marty. It pretty much sums it up.

Lou. If Sunday is the busiest check out/ check in day doesn't that mean there would be less rooms left on Monday? I would wait and have waited till a room I wanted was ready. Or is it just at the fort that you couldn't wait till they cleaned the site or will they wait till Monday to clean them?

If Sunday is the busiest check out/ check in day doesn't that mean there would be less rooms left on Monday?

Sounds logical.

Because there are fewer rooms to get ready, you have a better chance of getting in earlier.

Or is it just at the fort that you couldn't wait till they cleaned the site or will they wait till Monday to clean them?

As it's Fort specific, TCD would have more insight into this.

Ok thanks.

I think I understand how, at least at a resort, it would work. Sunday there's more rooms and if your willing to wait you would have a better selection. And the check in process would be longer.

But you could check in earlier and faster on a Monday because theres less people Checking in and out but you might not the best room location. .

As it's Fort specific, TCD would have more insight into this.

Going back to the original post- I agree that this discussion should be filed under overthinking.

My experience at the Fort is limited to the times I have checked in-which in the past few years was around 5-6 trips per year.  Based purely on that experience, which isn't representative of what happens 365 days a year, I think Sunday is not a great day to arrive and expect to get to choose a site and check-in early.

In the big picture, if you want to be able to have sites to choose from,  it usually isn't a problem, except for around holidays.   And if it's around a major holiday, you just never know.

Especially if you've never camped at the Fort, don't sweat what loop or site you're going to get.  It's been said over and over again that what appeals to one person may not appeal to you.

TCD

I would say Monday for two reasons, 1) you can avoid all the hubbub of Sunday's mass exodus and 2) you will maximize your budget by minimizing the weekend days in your trip. Neither is a major reason but if we're splitting hairs...