This system is not based on evaporation.  I can see it working ok at night but the big problem is coming up with block ice or frozen milk jugs. The first and second night would be doable but beyond that would be a problem or at least expensive.  The video showed it blowing 45 degree temps but they never said what ambient was during the test.  Even a good AC can only drop ambient temps about 25 degrees I doubt this system is anywhere near as efficient.,  If you are going to have power at the site your much better off just rigging a cheap window unit. 

Agree completly with comments so far.  It did bring back memories.  My Dad and I used to build "air conditioning" in our houses out west using wooden boxes with the sides cut out, cheap thin blankets hanging down over the open sides, a hose to trickle water over the blankets and a box fan to pull air into the house through the blankets and the box.  Evaporative cooling.  As Dave noted, worked great in very dry areas of the country.  Memories of being young and broke!

Funny.... Tom laughed when I purchased our last tent as it actually had an a/c tab built in (so you could use a window a/c to cool the tent).  Of course now we're excited to use the a/c in our little camper...but glad to see that others would actually consider trying to use a/c in a tent :)   As for this set-up, I would imagine it could cool... but I agree about the humidity factor.

The problem is it won't remove the humidity. In Texas where the humidity is low it would probably be great, but not in FL.

I am guessing you have never been to Texas if you think our humidity is low. Our summers are pretty much the same as Centeral Florida. But our winters are a little colder. We have many days at 100% humidity.

The problem is it won't remove the humidity. In Texas where the humidity is low it would probably be great, but not in FL.

I am guessing you have never been to Texas if you think our humidity is low. Our summers are pretty much the same as Centeral Florida. But our winters are a little colder. We have many days at 100% humidity.

Oh yes I have. My brother's in El Paso and the humidity is "high" when it hits 25%. They use "coolers" (evaporative) not air-cond. So I should have said " in areas of Texas".

You can pick and choose which areas of Texas are really Texas?

I like that.

I say NYC is no longer part of NY state.

Yep there is East, West, Centeral, North, South, The hill country, and the Gulf Coast. It's a big state and some parts are more popular then others.

When I lived in the desert of California, swamp coolers were more common than air conditioners. The one this guy is building is NOT a swamp cooler. It's like Orvilles invention.

And where did the name Swamp Cooler come from?  It most likely would not work in a swamp.

I suspect it is from the fact that while they cool by evaportation, not all the moisture is evaporated and they add humidity to the air.  Plus if you look inside the "box" they have water standing and a little green-stuff is not uncommon.  Looks a little like a swamp!