We live in Florida. Our son has come down with a serious medical condition that needs to be treated in Boston. We got the news today that we have to be in Boston by Monday. So little last minute rush trip that we have have to be there for an extended period of time. It will be 5 of us traveling and due to the last minute plans around st. Patricks day and spring breaks. Airfares are gonna be crazy. So we decided to get together and consider taking a motor home. This might be silly, but is this even realistic. I'm a 4 the generation Floridian so traveling and camping up there this time a year is foreign to me.

1st question

Is there even campgrounds near to Boston or somewhere to park the motor home and get a hotel room next to mass general

2nd

Is it even feasible to camp this time of year up there.

3rd

Can everyone keep our little guy in your prayers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, it would be unwise to drive a motorhome NORTH during Feb/Mar timeframe, especially with this cold weather / snow storm that is currently moving W to E into New England.  Motorhomes are tough eno

I am a pediatric RN so hopefully I can help a bit. There should be a case coordinator assigned to you when you are admitted. They will be able to help you arrange housing if it's needed. If there is a

I know of 2 campgrounds in NH that are open year round. Not sure if they will be too far for you...   Friendly Beaver Campground in New Boston, NH - about 90 minutes or so from Boston http://www.frien

IMHO, it would be unwise to drive a motorhome NORTH during Feb/Mar timeframe, especially with this cold weather / snow storm that is currently moving W to E into New England.  Motorhomes are tough enough to drive when the conditions are ideal, I don't think I would risk my family trying to drive one into snowy weather and poor road conditions, especially since you (presumably) don't own one / never driven one.

Rent a full size passenger van or a minivan and stay in a hotel once you get to Boston.  You'll save money, get there faster and, most importantly, safer. 

This winter has been tough up here. There is not much camping close to Boston. You would definitely be outside the city. Most of the campgrounds up here dont open until April. You might be able to find one up here and I would be happy to help look. There is also a nasty ice/snow storm coming through up here right now. 

I would look into renting the full size van as someone suggested. You could stay either in the city or on the outskirts in a hotel close to the Subway. The T as it's called in Boston is generally clean, reliable, and safe. If you need any assistance figuring out locations or traveling to and from the northeast I will be more than happy to help. We drive most of the time from CT to Florida and I grew up in RI with trips to Boston. 

I will keep you son in my thoughts and no matter what if you need anything up here please don't hesitate to let me know. I will be happy to help in anyway. 

I have some feelers out looking for more info to try and help. 

In the meantime It looks like Mass General is on the Red Line of the T. 

Here is a link to the stops on the Red Line. The Charles/MGH stop is right at Mass General. 

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=RED

I am digging into hotels around there next. Might need to park the MH outside the city since what parking lots might be there are probably tight due to snow if not already full. A lot of the parking up there is garages and under building. 

Be back soon with more info I hope. 

Boston is getting just rain now and will not get much snow out of this storm, but nevertheless I agree w/ the van idea (or a class B?) for two reasons: One,  Only one campground open this time of year that I know of, Normandy Farms, it is very nice, even has an indoor heated pool, etc. But it is in Foxboro, well outside the city. And Two, you do not want to drive a large RV in Boston, it's miserable enough trying to drive a car in the city.....  ;)

Boston is getting just rain now and will not get much snow out of this storm, but nevertheless I agree w/ the van idea (or a class B?) for two reasons: One,  Only one campground open this time of year that I know of, Normandy Farms, it is very nice, even has an indoor heated pool, etc. But it is in Foxboro, well outside the city. And Two, you do not want to drive a large RV in Boston, it's miserable enough trying to drive a car in the city.....  ;)

Glad to hear this went far enough north to pretty much miss Boston for a ton of snow. I hadnt paid that close attention to where the exact line was for this storm. 

There's also the auto-train that would take you and a van half-way to Lorton VA, or maybe take AMTRAK all the way to Boston. I have heard the Acela is fast and comfortable. You would save the car rental too, the Train takes you into Boston, then the T to hotel and hospital, no need for a vehicle.

We personally own a large tt and it's a freight leaner motor home. Me and my wife owned a class a but went to tt. Also I drive large fire engines for a living so handling the rig isn't really the problem. Except for ice. We have driven in snow quite a bit as my wife family lives in upstate New York. The question kind of is the storing of the camper up there and the campgrounds. We actually are debating this for the ease of the travel with our son who has a spinal cord issue. So the issue is comfort. And if he has the operation on the cord the comfort in the way back. Once were there most likely the camper would be left somewhere and we would get hotel rooms right next to hospital as this will take most likely a couple surgeries. But if we could leave it at a campground so if we needed a break just outside the city it would be nice. Not more than an hour though. We are mainly trying to use the camper as it will be very comfortable for a kid with spinal issues and wheelchair.

We personally own a large tt and it's a freight leaner motor home. Me and my wife owned a class a but went to tt. Also I drive large fire engines for a living so handling the rig isn't really the problem. Except for ice. We have driven in snow quite a bit as my wife family lives in upstate New York. The question kind of is the storing of the camper up there and the campgrounds. We actually are debating this for the ease of the travel with our son who has a spinal cord issue. So the issue is comfort. And if he has the operation on the cord the comfort in the way back. Once were there most likely the camper would be left somewhere and we would get hotel rooms right next to hospital as this will take most likely a couple surgeries. But if we could leave it at a campground so if we needed a break just outside the city it would be nice. Not more than an hour though. We are mainly trying to use the camper as it will be very comfortable for a kid with spinal issues and wheelchair.

Thank you everyone. The campers main goal is for transport. If we could find an open campground just to set it up in case we can use it that's just a plus. Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on the fiends. They always are quick to help anyone.

As for parking at someone's house, don't worry about that. My wife has family about three hours away so if we had to we could park it there and rent a car for the last three hours. We just were wondering about parking in Boston, I'm sure it's probably tough to find the parking for anything like this. The trip could be anywhere from ten days to 3 months. That's the hardest part.

As for parking at someone's house, don't worry about that. My wife has family about three hours away so if we had to we could park it there and rent a car for the last three hours. We just were wondering about parking in Boston, I'm sure it's probably tough to find the parking for anything like this. The trip could be anywhere from ten days to 3 months. That's the hardest part.

Well dont forget if you need anything while your up there don't hesitate. Its only a 1.5 hour drive and I dont mind visiting Boston to see/help a Fiend especially. 

I will keep you all in my thoughts and the best of luck for you son. 

I've stayed at Normandy Farms.  If it is open this time of year it's a nice campground, but like Jason said is in Foxboro, well south of the city.  We did however use it as a base camp to drive into Boston, so if weather isn't an issue that is doable.  I looked around on their website, and it doesn't show any sites available until April 1, so they may not open until then for the season.  I'll say this....the family that owns it seems very nice.  Their name is Daniels.  If you are needing any help like a place to park an RV it may be worth a call to them.  They might be able to do something to accommodate you.  

Will say a prayer....I wish y'all weren't going through this.  Hope the travel situation gets worked out. 

It is truly a brotherhood, but I hate to impose and I know when you get into cities the stations don't have a lot of parking. However tonight a fellow firefighter down here was going to start calling up there about that. We would just hate to impose on them and if we could find parking somewhere close we wouldn't want to do that. We are trying to figure this out without calling in favors or inconveniencing anyone. We did get a hold of one campground, they said we could stay there and hook up to power, but sewer would be questionable, and not water hookup. Only electric. Which might be our choice because if we just needed a spot at least we could plug it in and keep stuff in frig and basics.