What would you like to know or see about Royal Caribbean cruises?

Well, we leave on our Royal Caribbean in about 2 weeks. I'll be writing a trip report when we get back, but I'm wondering if there's anything specific you'd like me to try to get pictures of or check out. No promises, but I'll try! We'll be on the Freedom of the Seas.

I'm excited!

I'd also like to know about the new policy I've heard about where you can take 2 bottles on wine per cabin onboard.  Do you just carry on like DCL?  

from Royal Caribbean's site. 

Q:  Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A:  Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Wow- the beverage rules seem very harsh.  Can you even bring bottled water?  The first paragraph says that you can't bring non-alcoholic beverages, but the second one then says they will inspect water bottles and soda bottles.  I thought you couldn't bring any non-alcoholic beverages on board?

Kelly- one more thing I'm interested in hearing about is how they handle disembarkation.  That is an unpleasant memory I have from my RCCL cruises.  You would have to be out of your stateroom by a certain time, but couldn't leave the ship until your color was called (passengers were assigned a color code).  I remember it being very crowded and hectic. DCL does that much better.  Unless RCCL has changed how they do things.

TCD

I'd like to know about the room service.  I've taken several Royal Caribbean cruises.  But, the last one was in 2004.  One of the things I like about DCL is free 24 hour room service. RCCL had a few items you could get for free for breakfast, but nothing else.  I would like to know if that has changed.

TCD

I promise to order room service multiple times, just for you and the sake of research!

I'd also like to know about the new policy I've heard about where you can take 2 bottles on wine per cabin onboard.  Do you just carry on like DCL?  

Yes, you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board in your carry on. That's the rule. I've also heard that really every adult can have 2 bottles of wine in their own carry-on and you'll still get through.... if you're a rule bender. 

from Royal Caribbean's site. 

Q:  Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A:  Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

This is their rule on paper, but I've heard it's not true in practice. I've heard the the cork fee is not often charged and that you can walk to places with a glass of wine no problem. And I don't think anyone is kicked off for trying to smuggle. I've heard LOTS of people put tags on cases of water and sodas in their carry on and don't have a problem.

Of course, none of this matters to me because I have the premium drink package, oh yeah!!!! Unlimited soda, bottled water, wine up to $12 a class, beer, and mixed and frozen drinks. I'll report back on that too. 

So I can't bring on my 2 liter of diet coke but I can bring on some bubbly? Strange.

Apparently, many people bring soda on board and are not questioned. 

Wow- the beverage rules seem very harsh.  Can you even bring bottled water?  The first paragraph says that you can't bring non-alcoholic beverages, but the second one then says they will inspect water bottles and soda bottles.  I thought you couldn't bring any non-alcoholic beverages on board?

Kelly- one more thing I'm interested in hearing about is how they handle disembarkation.  That is an unpleasant memory I have from my RCCL cruises.  You would have to be out of your stateroom by a certain time, but couldn't leave the ship until your color was called (passengers were assigned a color code).  I remember it being very crowded and hectic. DCL does that much better.  Unless RCCL has changed how they do things.

TCD

Disney is known for having the most liberal carry on beverage policy. RCCL's isn't as strict as they claim on paper, but I have the drink plan, so their policy doesn't affect me much. We will probably still bring the 2 bottles of wine for drinking on our balcony though.

I will be sure to report on disembarking. 

How much does the premium drink package cost?  I assume that there's a non-premium drink package?  How much is that?

I don't recall these being available on our RCCL cruises.  Also, there was no fridge in our cabin.  Do they have fridges in the cabins now?

TCD

Yes, there's a fridge in the cabin.

The drink packages started a little over a year ago and were updated in December. The premium package is pricey... it's $55 a day, but that includes tax and gratuity. I'm fine with regular OJ vs. fresh squeezed, don't drink sparkling water, and don't need a ton of Frappachinos, so the Ultimate wouldn't really make sense for me.

Here's a link to the packages. http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Yes, there's a fridge in the cabin.

The drink packages started a little over a year ago and were updated in December. The premium package is pricey... it's $55 a day, but that includes tax and gratuity. I'm fine with regular OJ vs. fresh squeezed, don't drink sparkling water, and don't need a ton of Frappachinos, so the Ultimate wouldn't really make sense for me.

Here's a link to the packages. http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Wow.

I don't like that.  One thing I can say about DCL is that after you pay the (exorbitant) price they charge, you don't get nickeled and dimed.  That would really add up.

TCD

Wow.

I don't like that.  One thing I can say about DCL is that after you pay the (exorbitant) price they charge, you don't get nickeled and dimed.  That would really add up.

TCD

I will say, though, that the price of the cruise plus the drink package was WELL under the price of the Disney cruise. I know because I REALLY tried to talk Jason into the Disney cruise. LOL! Disney does charge for alcohol though, just like RCCL. Disney is the only one who lets you bring on all the alcohol you can carry, but they're also the only major cruise line (I think) that doesn't offer the flat fee alcohol packages. I like the option of the drink package.

I will say, though, that the price of the cruise plus the drink package was WELL under the price of the Disney cruise. I know because I REALLY tried to talk Jason into the Disney cruise. LOL! Disney does charge for alcohol though, just like RCCL. Disney is the only one who lets you bring on all the alcohol you can carry, but they're also the only major cruise line (I think) that doesn't offer the flat fee alcohol packages. I like the option of the drink package.

That's a good point.  Disney definitely charges for the drinks at the bars-so I guess if you're going to drink the drink package is the way to go.  Are there limits on how many drinks you can have each day?

TCD