Newcomers...when to request a specific loop???

Hi all, I am new to Fort Fiends and new to camping.....this will be my families first stint at it :-) I haven't been to Fort Wilderness since I was a girl scout...ahem...early 80's...lol. So, please forgive my ignorance but when should we request a specific loop.? I did not do so at booking...is it something you call about? We are a family of five with kids ages 11, 8 and 3. We'd like to be close to the camp fire and a laundry area. We have bikes to get around and wanted a golf cart but I am not finding any luck renting less expensive ones AND I don't think we can totally afford the disney price unless we just get one for one day or so. We are staying in a fifth wheel we rented that is being delivered. Unfortunately, I am just reading through old threads and found out about other vendors that are recommended by this site to rent of which we were unaware at the time of booking. Perhaps next time as I'd like to support vendors that support this site in the future. Last question would be if we are in a premium site, can we pitch a tent or canopy anywhere. We would live to let the kids stay out on one night vs. in the trailer since they have never camped outside, but it doesn't seem like there is a place to do so in the premium site....

I'd love to give back by posting a trip report and post some pics as this site has been so helpful from what to pack to what activities we should do to keep the kids busy to the best mosquito repellant out there which I had never heard of....Thermacell....lol. Excited....we will be there April 6th thru the 10th. My husband loves to BBQ so I'm sure you'll smell us from a few loops away :-)

One other thing....is resort hopping worth it. I was thinking of doing so with the kids as we have never stayed at a disney resort although we visited disney all the time since I was born and raised in south florida. We always stayed off property. So I was thinking of letting the kids visit a few properties and play a few games in the arcades at the different properties. Anybody ever done that and do you think it would be worth it.... Sorry so many questions and thanks in advance.....

Welcome! Make sure you go to the introduction thread and introduce yourself for a real Fiend welcome!

If you set a tent on a premium site, you can stake down 3 sides.... and some sites have enough room in the back to do it off the concrete. 

5 days out to fax a site request. You can see a sample fax on the info tab.

The Poly is a great place to resort hop to.... very pretty and the restaurants are great. 

Try the site sponsors for a cart, but it's pretty late to get an outside one. 

And feel free to ask lots of questions! Most of us love answering them! 

You can read the trip report linked in my signature to see the fun we had resort hopping one day of our vacation.  My kid's really enjoyed it.  However, they knew we were on a very tight budget and that resort hopping was free, so they were game.  If they were expecting to go to a park, they might not have been so agreeable.

Marty, where can I found your signature....sorry...new to site :-). Thanks for the info...it is very helpful.

You would have to be on the full site not on a mobile site. I will copy the link here for you. 

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/924-trip-report/

:welcome:

You've already gotten a bunch of good info, but I'll throw my 2 cents in...

...when should we request a specific loop.? I did not do so at booking...is it something you call about?

Fax info is on this page
http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

... I'd like to support vendors that support this site in the future.

Super!  You can find a complete list of site sponsors here...
http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

Last question would be if we are in a premium site, can we pitch a tent or canopy anywhere.

You sure can.  Official rules are one camping unit plus one tent/canopy. The only trick with premium sites there isn't a sand pad to stake anything down on, but people have managed to make it work. I'm sure folks here will have some suggestions.

I'd love to give back by posting a trip report and post some pics...

Please do!

....is resort hopping worth it.

We think it is.  From the Fort it's easy to hop around the Magic Kingdom resorts - boat to Contemporary, then monorail around.  It's a little tougher to get to the other resorts unless you have a car, but we love going out to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Epcot resorts.

You would have to be on the full site not on a mobile site. I will copy the link here for you. 

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/924-trip-report/

Thanks. I was using my Ipad and not on the PC. That leads me to another question you may know......if I have an IPad that uses AT & T that I pay for wifi use do I need to get the modem from fort wilderness. I am not thinking I would as I can get wifi while traveling in my car, etc. so I am thinkig I am using A t&t's service. I don't think I want to pay 125 to use the modem. I heard that I can get free wifi in the meadows area, or in some areas near stores while there and I figure if needed I can just use my computer in those areas sporadically. Any thoughts??

Thanks. I was using my Ipad and not on the PC. That leads me to another question you may know......if I have an IPad that uses AT & T that I pay for wifi use do I need to get the modem from fort wilderness. I am not thinking I would as I can get wifi while traveling in my car, etc. so I am thinkig I am using A t&t's service. I don't think I want to pay 125 to use the modem. I heard that I can get free wifi in the meadows area, or in some areas near stores while there and I figure if needed I can just use my computer in those areas sporadically. Any thoughts??

If it is set up to run on the AT&T network you should be able to use it fine. Pretty good reception in most of the campground that I have tried it in anyway, There is wifi in some areas at the Fort like the Meadows and it should work fine there. 

If you did get the modem from Fort Wilderness you would also need a wireless router to connect to that of your own so you could use it for wifi. 

If it is set up to run on the AT&T network you should be able to use it fine. Pretty good reception in most of the campground that I have tried it in anyway, There is wifi in some areas at the Fort like the Meadows and it should work fine there. 

If you did get the modem from Fort Wilderness you would also need a wireless router to connect to that of your own so you could use it for wifi. 

Thanks. Appreciate you.

We never use their modem because we have a hot spot, but I don't think they charge to use it. 

Nope, no charge for the modem. You do need to sign an agreement that states you'll be charged $125 if you do not return it, but latest reports are that they aren't charging a deposit up front.  However it's also been reported that they've been in short supply recently, and if the Fort is busy, there may be a waiting list to get one.

More info on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

Nope, no charge for the modem. You do need to sign an agreement that states you'll be charged $125 if you do not return it, but latest reports are that they aren't charging a deposit up front. However it's also been reported that they've been in short supply recently, and if the Fort is busy, there may be a waiting list to get one.

More info on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

The benefit of getting a modem (and bringing your own wireless router), especially for a longer stay, is that you can connect at your site without using up your ATT data allotment.  Depending on your individual data plan, if you are used to connecting to your home wifi with the ipad and then connecting through ATT's network while away from the house, a week at the Fort might use more data than you have available....resulting in some hefty charges from AT&T.  

The benefit of getting a modem (and bringing your own wireless router), especially for a longer stay, is that you can connect at your site without using up your ATT data allotment.  Depending on your individual data plan, if you are used to connecting to your home wifi with the ipad and then connecting through ATT's network while away from the house, a week at the Fort might use more data than you have available....resulting in some hefty charges from AT&T.  

Yeah, I wouldn't use my wireless data plan. We actually have a Verizon hot spot that us just for this purpose when we travel and for Jason's work.

FWI, we requested a loop when we booked (about 1 month before the trip) and got it.

As far as the internet connection, I belive AT&T has a good signal across DisneyWorld, in my experience, other providers (we have T-Mobile) do not and if you aren't with AT&T, it might be worth getting the modem and your own wireless router (I didn't bring a router this past trip but will in the future, it pretty much had no data with T-Mobile were we were in FW).