Marshmallow Roasting Sticks....any experts out there...

Probably seems like a silly question but this is totally new to me. If I am bringing my own sticks for the Campfire...do I need to have metal roasters? I found some at Target but they are only 20 inches long and that seems short and I was thinking the metal would heat up for my kiddos hands (11, 8, and 5 yrs). I have no idea how the campfire pit is run or big the fire is there.

Does anyone know if wood dowels be safe to eat from if used....found at local craft stores and if you've used them have you been successful or do they easily burn? If so, what size would you suggest? I would like to bring as much as possible for our first trip here and not have to constantly buy from the store at the Fort. Any suggestions from frequent campers would be appreciated. Thanks!!! 10 days and counting down til we get there.....complete surprise for the kids....they have no idea and have never been camping before. I don't know who will be more excited me or them when they find out....lol.

Real men don't need no stinkin sticks. I just put the marshmallows on my fingers and stick my hand in the flame.

I was wondering the same thing, wasn't sure how close the kids could get.  The metal ones seem popular, I will keep an eye out for them - thanks!

another plus 1 on the metal ones from Walmart. Work great and as stated just burn off the leftover goo. We clean them with a scrubing sponge before putting away or transporting. Had ours for 4 years or so now. 

ETA oh added bonus work nice for Hot Dogs over the fire too which my wife loves. 

Me..oh my...one more thing added to my to do list but.....I guess it's better than my kid on fire....(smile).

I have found children to be poor fire starters. Cats are better.

I'm down with the rake, I may have to try that one, such a time saver! :rofl2:

We use stainless steel ones from Camping World, they are about 3' long and clean so much easier, we had wood dowels once, but the sticky wouldn't come off so I had to cut the end and resharpen, have fun!  Brian