We have done 1 and 2. When we did 1, we were practically sitting in the piano players lap, it was way too close for me. Then DH and I did cat 2 we were the last table on the floor (so first ones as soon as you walked in the doors) they were raised so we could see everything and they do a fair amount of moving around so we never felt like we missed out. I liked them better than being way up front.

If you pick a slow night, and a less popular showing time, I'm told you can pay for Cat 3 and you get moved up to Cat 2 or even 1 if it's really slow.  Ticket window ladies won't mention this and will still push the expensive ones at you, but if you are going to be around on a Tuesday or something like that it's something to think about.

If you pick a slow night, and a less popular showing time, I'm told you can pay for Cat 3 and you get moved up to Cat 2 or even 1 if it's really slow.  Ticket window ladies won't mention this and will still push the expensive ones at you, but if you are going to be around on a Tuesday or something like that it's something to think about.

I am guessing Monday would be a slow night, a surprise upgrade would be nice indeed.

Depends on your family size I think. With only 3 of us, it's not THAT much more to do 1. With a big family, I'd probably do 2. Also know that they do send performers up to the top deck.

There are six of us.  Are there any bad seats in 2?  I read a couple reviews about being behind a pole and cannot remember if they were cat 3 or cat 2.

Thanks for the input everyone.  

I've been visiting the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue since before there were these dumb categories.  They used to charge everyone the same price, and seats were assigned in the order of when you made your reservations.  Since this wasn't something we ever planned far in advance, we never had what would now be known as Category 1 seats. 

Since the implementation of the categories, I've never paid the extra for Category 1.  I see no reason to.  The only benefit is you're closer to the stage.  So what?  Pioneer Hall is small.  When the actors come out into the audience, they circulate around the whole room- even the balconies.  The food and service is exactly the same no matter where you sit.

Category 1 is nice, but definitely not worth the extra you have to pay for it.

TCD

The only time we have been we sat in the balcony.  We could hear and see well and enjoyed the show.  The cast did make it up there, but only once.  However, that wasn't very important to us, so we didn't mind.  It seemed like there was more space between tables up top and not as cramped.  It was completely full, and Christmas time and we were not offered an upgrade.  

We did the early show.  Ate a late breakfast, no lunch, then pigged out at the HDDR at 4 pm, looped for a bit afterward, then hit the movie and had popcorn and s'mores.  It was just right, and kind of justified the cost since we essentially made it 2 meals.  Which is kind of is!

The only benefit is you're closer to the stage.  So what?  Pioneer Hall is small. 

When the actors come out into the audience, they circulate around the whole room- even the balconies. 

The food and service is exactly the same no matter where you sit.

Yup, agreed.