Dressing at dinner on a cruise?

It's been about 10 years since I've been on a cruise, and I wonder if/how dress codes have changed lately?  

The 7 night we're booked on will have 2 formal nights, and those I'm good with.  It's the casual or "smart casual" I'm wondering about.  How strict are they (this will be RCL) ?  I was planning on capri pants mostly.  I know you can't wear shorts to dinner in the dinning room, which is where we'll probably eat our dinners.

I'll be following Kelly's trip report, but just thought I'd put the question here, to avoid a random hijacking of her thread. :)

Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering about how strict the Disney Cruise Line is with respect to enforcing its dress code, the answer is not very.

The cruise literature they distribute before the cruise says that shorts can't be worn in the main dining room for dinner.  And no denim. 

In practice, they let people do whatever they want.  No enforcement whatsoever. I saw more men wearing shorts in the main dining room than slacks.

There are separate dress codes for the fancy dining places that you pay extra to enjoy, Palo and Remy. Those dress codes are enforced.

TCD

In case anyone is wondering about how strict the Disney Cruise Line is with respect to enforcing its dress code, the answer is not very.

The cruise literature they distribute before the cruise says that shorts can't be worn in the main dining room for dinner.  And no denim. 

In practice, they let people do whatever they want.  No enforcement whatsoever. I saw more men wearing shorts in the main dining room than slacks.

There are separate dress codes for the fancy dining places that you pay extra to enjoy, Palo and Remy. Those dress codes are enforced.

TCD

They actually changed that policy last summer. Shorts are expressly allowed now in the main dining room now. 

As far as Royal, shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch in the main dining room.

At dinner, the only thing that is really banned are hats and shorts. Oh, and tanks on men (sorry Gator fans). However, we saw a few people in shorts at dinner. Capris are fine. I wore them several nights and many women did. Jeans are fine. Most guys were in polos/casual button down shirt and pants of some kind. Most women were generally in skirts or capris.

We didn't even get that dressy at the 2nd formal night because Jason was being pissy (he hates dressing up). I wore a knee length black dress, and he and Z both wore slacks and polos. It was fine.

As far as Royal, shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch in the main dining room.

At dinner, the only thing that is really banned are hats and shorts. Oh, and tanks on men (sorry Gator fans). However, we saw a few people in shorts at dinner. Capris are fine. I wore them several nights and many women did. Jeans are fine. Most guys were in polos/casual button down shirt and pants of some kind. Most women were generally in skirts or capris.

We didn't even get that dressy at the 2nd formal night because Jason was being pissy (he hates dressing up). I wore a knee length black dress, and he and Z both wore slacks and polos. It was fine.

I am with Z. Other than the one Formal night I was in hawaiian shirts and shorts. Sorry I was on vacation. 

Thanks everybody!

That was what I was hoping for.

For the formal nights, I'm actually going to wear the same long sundress I have, just with different jackets and jewelry.  I just didn't want to have to pack another dress if I really didn't have to.

I knew I could count on good answers from you guys!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually love dressing up for formal nights and wish more people would do so.  I never get to wear "party clothes" at home.  

You would fit in well with all the TCD ladies.  I would love to not dress up for the optional dress-up nights on the DCL cruises, but they are the opposite- they want to dress up.  So I have to as well.

Overall, I like the atmosphere of the formal nights, and that is one thing that I miss from our earlier cruises.  People in general have become slobs.  Being dressed up and sitting at or next to a table full of people in shorts, flip-flops, ball-caps and t-shirts on formal night kind of ruins the elegant atmosphere that the ship is going for.

TCD

You would fit in well with all the TCD ladies.  I would love to not dress up for the optional dress-up nights on the DCL cruises, but they are the opposite- they want to dress up.  So I have to as well.

Overall, I like the atmosphere of the formal nights, and that is one thing that I miss from our earlier cruises.  People in general have become slobs.  Being dressed up and sitting at or next to a table full of people in shorts, flip-flops, ball-caps and t-shirts on formal night kind of ruins the elegant atmosphere that the ship is going for.

TCD

I so agree with you!  People who don't want to dress up on RCCL cruises should have dinner in the Windjammer so they don't ruin the experience for the rest of us.

TCD

Minus the T shirt you just described me. Sorry you feel that I am a slob. I say again. I was on vacation. My clothes were clean and unwrinkled. I do not feel I was a slob. 

For formal night I wore my suit. For semi formal night I wore a shirt and tie. I wore the same at Palo. Every other night I had my hat, shorts, and comfy shirt on and was relaxed and enjoying myself. I did not enjoy the nights I had to be dressed up. I can do it quite well when necessary but when I go on vacation I do it to get away from that. 

Have you ever considered you being dressed up might ruin the experience for them?

No, because it's formal night.  I'm following protocol.  They aren't.

I'm not talking about ladies who attend in a dress or a nice pants suit.  Or gentlemen who arrive in polos and a collared shirt.  I'm talking about the people who arrive in shorts and flip-flops.

If you don't want to do formal night, so be it.  Find somewhere else to eat.  Just don't be a slob on formal night.  To me that's disrespectful.

Minus the T shirt you just described me. Sorry you feel that I am a slob. I say again. I was on vacation. My clothes were clean and unwrinkled. I do not feel I was a slob. 

For formal night I wore my suit. For semi formal night I wore a shirt and tie. I wore the same at Palo. Every other night I had my hat, shorts, and comfy shirt on and was relaxed and enjoying myself. I did not enjoy the nights I had to be dressed up. I can do it quite well when necessary but when I go on vacation I do it to get away from that. 

I was talking about formal night, too, Jason.

I don't care what other people wear.  My objection, like Gwen's, is if the cruise line tells guests what is allowed and not, and guests ignore that and show up looking like slobs, it does ruin the experience for those who followed the rules. 

I agree with Gwen, if someone wants to be a slob, be my guest.  But don't show up where you're not supposed to. Ships have casual places for guests to dine.  They should go there.

TCD

For what it's worth I brought a tux for formal nights on our last two cruises which were on Celebrity and Princess. I was in the minority but honestly how often do you get a chance to tuxedo up!

We like to dress up and it's pretty fun to sip a vodka martini (shaken not stirred) while in a tux ala James Bond style. :)

But that's just how we roll nbd if its not for you.

WBI