DISNEY SUED over new GAC policy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, As the parent of an autistic child I am somewhat embarrassed by this lawsuit.  Do the changes to the GAC make it more difficult for my son to visit the parks, ABSOLUTELY, but to claim that Disne

Remember to take the tennis balls off so there is less padding. 

I don't care who you...that's just funny!!!Don't worry Lou. I'm a lover, not a fighter, and I'm not very good at that either.

Okay, As the parent of an autistic child I am somewhat embarrassed by this lawsuit.  Do the changes to the GAC make it more difficult for my son to visit the parks, ABSOLUTELY, but to claim that Disney made these changes to exclude kids like my son is beyond ludicrous.  Yes, it is important that guests with disabilities have the same access to experiences that all guests have, but it is also the duty of every parent of a disabled to child to take responsibility for the needs of their own child.  We visited WDW at both Thanksgiving and Christmas with my son and found ways to get him on his favorite rides (using fastpass and by getting to the parks early) without the need for a lawsuit. 

Beyond this I can also honestly say the the folks at Disney have repeatedly gone out of their way to accommodate my sons needs.  Simple things, by seeing my son's distress at being too early for a fast pass+ time and adjusting the time in the system to let him go through, making sure that we have a campsite that gives him the privacy that he needs...well the list could go on and on.  NO OTHER place in the world goes out of the way to take care of my son like WDW.

Yes your honor, we are suing to get immediate access to rides.

No your honor, the new system where we get a future reservation for the ride, so that we wait our fair turn...is not acceptable.

Yes your honor, I am serious.

No your honor, I am not an idiot

Yes your honor, I will be represented by a lawyer who is the proud product of Moe Howard's school of law and metal fabrication.

No your honor, my lawyer assured me that most good lawyers get their degrees online through Peruvian schools.

No your honor, I have no medical need for the ECV that I rode into the courtroom, but the soles on my shoes will last longer.

Your honor, if you do not give me special consideration, none of which I deserve, I'm sure there is some federal statute under which I can sue you

No your honor, as long as there are shady lawyers I do not need to get a job. Corporate settlements provide a nice living

I do my fair share of complaining about Disney, but their accommodations for people with disabilities is outstanding, at least in our experience.

Amen brother, Amen (in my experience as well)

I agree they do better than most but they use to do better. My dad can't walk and has to use a ecv 24/7 unless he is in bed. Use to they would allow him to take his ecv in most rides. Now they don't they make him transfer to a wheelchair which is very hard for him. So now he doesn't really ride anything anymore.

Wow, when I first read this I thought they were suing about the GAG policy......That would be blasphemy.  Thank god, I was worried for a moment.

Seriously, due to the abuse of the program by some, this is becoming an issue for those who really need assistance.  My suspicion is that Disney will appropriately accommodate anyone with specific needs but the guest needs to be able to explain needs first which I am sure some are unwilling to do that because they still think they are entitled.

I agree they do better than most but they use to do better. My dad can't walk and has to use a ecv 24/7 unless he is in bed. Use to they would allow him to take his ecv in most rides. Now they don't they make him transfer to a wheelchair which is very hard for him. So now he doesn't really ride anything anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that.  There's an example of how people abusing the system have caused actual harm to people who really need the assistance.  If y'all explained to the CM's creating the DAS what your Dad's specific needs are, are they able to make a note on the DAS that your Dad cannot transfer to a wheelchair....and can only transfer once to the ride vehicle?  You may have already tried that....I was just wondering.  

Would a possible option be to rent a electric wheelchair, instead of using a scooter?

Use to they would allow him to take his ecv in most rides. Now they don't they make him transfer to a wheelchair which is very hard for him.

I'm in complete agreement with this policy and wish they could do it on the buses, but it's not practical, and the ADA probably forbids it anyway, so they won't.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it was done for safety concerns. Most ECVs are big, heavy, and very difficult to maneuver in tight spots. A wheelchair is much easier to move around.

Also, most people are renting the ECV and don't normally use one. It's amazing how many people on those things can't operate them properly. That makes them dangerous to others. I've been pinned and run over more than once by a ECV on the bus, but never by a wheelchair.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11335-just-an-observation/?p=350583 yes, I posted about this a week ago. I would like to point out ... again - they are NOT complaining about limiting wheelchair access - It is only about Autism Spectrum and Developmental Disabilities special needs changes that they are complaining about.

I belong to several groups that deal with Special Needs access. The major complaint - inconsistency by Disney. Some people do receive appropriate accommodation - others get very little consideration. Disney should have had a trial period to find the problem areas BEFORE they rolled it out whole cloth. If Guest Services and CMs are still confused about the new system, then it is NOT ready to be the only system in place.

Just my $0.03

Also, most people are renting the ECV and don't normally use one. It's amazing how many people on those things can't operate them properly. That makes them dangerous to others. I've been pinned and run over more than once by a ECV on the bus, but never by a wheelchair.

My mother is one of those people that rent as ECV and don't normally use one. And no she's not that great at operating one.

The reason she doesn't "normally" use one is that after several surgeries and her 75 yrs of age she can't walk more than a couple hundred feet before she's hurting. When she goes to re grocery store she parks next to the cart rack so she can use a cart to help her walk around. She hated using the ECV. But she suffered thru it so she could enjoy the park with her grandkids. She didn't ride but a few rides, IASW, etc.

I'm know there were an will continue to be abuses of the system. I agree with what Ed said, OMG I just agreed with Ed. Lol.

Judge everyone based on there specific need.

And don't judge a man until you walk a mile, or drive an ECV, in his shoes.

And I'm not accusing you of doing that.

I agree most people especially those that rent ecv ' s can't drive them. My dad has always gotten the 3 wheeled scooter or a power chair because years ago disney would allow them to go right up to the ride. I can understand why they don't allow it anymore. But it has just made it near impossible for my dad to ride now. Most Of The Rides That Use boats like IASW have a boat you can put a wheelchair on. Use to he could drive his 3 wheeled scooter or his power chair on but not anymore.

We have not yet been inconvenienced by the GAC/DAS changeover.  We got them for our two kids last Christmas since they now require pictures.  We used to get just one and use it for our party.  I think in the month we were there, we used them a couple of times, although the only one I distinctly remember was for access to the Safari.  We got there about a quarter to four and they gave us an access time of 4 p.m.  The women went shopping in a nearby establishment while we men killed time near the entrance.  Just before 4, we approached the CM and he opened the rope for us into the fastpass line.  Worked like a charm, but I don't see much difference from GAC's.

We have not yet been inconvenienced by the GAC/DAS changeover. We got them for our two kids last Christmas since they now require pictures. We used to get just one and use it for our party. I think in the month we were there, we used them a couple of times, although the only one I distinctly remember was for access to the Safari. We got there about a quarter to four and they gave us an access time of 4 p.m. The women went shopping in a nearby establishment while we men killed time near the entrance. Just before 4, we approached the CM and he opened the rope for us into the fastpass line. Worked like a charm, but I don't see much difference from GAC's.

They better not make it difficult for Princess Kimberly or they'll have to answer to me!!!

Ok, but as I'm 66, and you're not, I deserve a handicap so that it's a fair fight.

Two hands tied behind your back sounds fair to me.

You're forgetting his legs.  And I imagine Ray could head butt you pretty bad.  Better protect against that too.  But the good news is, if you tie up his hands, legs and somehow secure his head....you just might have a slight chance.  

You're forgetting his legs.  And I imagine Ray could head butt you pretty bad.  Better protect against that too.  But the good news is, if you tie up his hands, legs and somehow secure his head....you just might have a slight chance.  

Are you forgetting that I can whack him with my walker? 

You're forgetting his legs. And I imagine Ray could head butt you pretty bad. Better protect against that too. But the good news is, if you tie up his hands, legs and somehow secure his head....you just might have a slight chance.

Are you forgetting that I can whack him with my walker?

Remember to take the tennis balls off so there is less padding.

I don't care who you...that's just funny!!!

Don't worry Lou. I'm a lover, not a fighter, and I'm not very good at that either.