We will be staying at the Fort at the end of May, bringing my mom for the first time. We'll be renting an ECV from an off site company. But the kids really enjoy renting the golf cart to get back and forth between the cabin and either bus stops or the boat. Does anyone know if there are larger sized golf carts available to rent so we can fold (depending on how realistic that is) the ECV and bring on the golf cart? Does that question make sense? LOL

I am very interested in this too.  I am very close to needing an ECV, maybe on the next trip.  We always stay in the 700 loop, so it's nearly a mile to the Outpost bus stop.  I'm wondering if I ride to the bus stop and back will the battery hold up all day, especially at EPCOT and AK.

I am very interested in this too.  I am very close to needing an ECV, maybe on the next trip.  We always stay in the 700 loop, so it's nearly a mile to the Outpost bus stop.  I'm wondering if I ride to the bus stop and back will the battery hold up all day, especially at EPCOT and AK.

Also depends on how heavy the person riding is. More weight less battery. On my dads ecv when the battery's are new he can make a full day but when there getting older he is setting at a plug any chance he can to charge.

Rich and I strap his on to the back with bongi cords. we sit the front of it on the back step and hook the top with cords. we also take the battery off. and then 2 people can sit on the back seat if needed.

Rich and I strap his on to the back with bongi cords. we sit the front of it on the back step and hook the top with cords. we also take the battery off. and then 2 people can sit on the back seat if nee

This was actually the first thing I thought of doing. Thanks!!

i have been asked this before about my rental carts.  i have actually considered getting an 8 passenger cart and make it a handicap accessible by putting on a ramp and taking out the 2nd seat for scooters and wheelchairs.  would this be a useful thing?

I think it would be used once people are aware that you have it.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been asked this before about my rental carts.  i have actually considered getting an 8 passenger cart and make it a handicap accessible by putting on a ramp and taking out the 2nd seat for scooters and wheelchairs.  would this be a useful thing?

That would be an awesome idea. We are torn because we HAVE to rent a scooter for my mom. From what I've read here, the internal buses don't accomodate the ECvs so we will either have to walk to the main buses, do two separate rentals for a golf cart and ECV, or not be able to board together because mom will have to ride to the outpost on the ECV. Renting both at a reasonable price would be so much easier!!

The internal buses absolutely can take ECV. They are the same exact buses used throughout Disney.

Great!! I'm guessing I misread that the internal buses were different. I didn't remember them being different two years ago, but we also didn't have mom or an ECV with us, so I thought maybe I just wasn't paying attention to that.

I really didn't want the double expense of an ECV and golf cart if it's not necessary.

They are the same exact buses used throughout Disney.

Kinda sorta.

While they do use the same buses on the external routes, they use 3 other models as well. There are 4 different bus models currently being used at WDW.

The external bus that anyone using a ECV for the first time should pass on, are the ones with the stairs and lift.

If someone falls for the sales pitch at the scooter rental place, that bigger is better, they will have a heck of a time boarding those buses. There aren't that many left, but they're still being used. 

It's also a little bit of a challenge to park the oversize scooters on all the low floor buses as well. Rent a medium size scooter.

Kinda sorta.

While they do use the same buses on the external routes, they use 3 other models as well. There are 4 different bus models currently being used at WDW.

The external bus that anyone using a ECV for the first time should pass on, are the ones with the stairs and lift.

If someone falls for the sales pitch at the scooter rental place, that bigger is better, they will have a heck of a time boarding those buses. There aren't that many left, but they're still being used.

It's also a little bit of a challenge to park the oversize scooters on all the low floor buses as well. Rent a medium size scooter.

I mostly just meant the internal buses like the rest of Disneys are ECV accessible. You would know better than I of course about avoiding the one with the stairs and I would agree the medium sized ones always seem to load easier.

Seems like all the step-lift busses should be gone by now.  (Not that I'm disputing the word of our man on the inside.)  I don't think we saw any during our last Christmas trip, but mostly we got busses that could only accommodate two wheelchairs or EVC's.  The newer busses can hold three.  Several times we got a bus with a stuck ramp, but didn't notice if it was the SAME bus, or not.  In each case the operator/CM was able to get it open.  Although we had ridden a few the 3-chair busses year before last, we often had to take separate busses that year because we had three wheelchairs.  We're pulling for them to get all 3-chair busses.

Seems like all the step-lift busses should be gone by now.  (Not that I'm disputing the word of our man on the inside.)  I don't think we saw any during our last Christmas trip, but mostly we got busses that could only accommodate two wheelchairs or EVC's.  The newer busses can hold three.  Several times we got a bus with a stuck ramp, but didn't notice if it was the SAME bus, or not.  In each case the operator/CM was able to get it open.  Although we had ridden a few the 3-chair busses year before last, we often had to take separate busses that year because we had three wheelchairs.  We're pulling for them to get all 3-chair busses.

Nope, they're not all gone yet, and when you were there, there were even more of them then.

All  buses can accommodate at least 2 ECVs/WCs. Some accommodate 3, and a few will carry 4.