Breakfast buffet at The Wave, Contemporary Resort

Found this on the Disney Parks blog - anyone tried it?

New Breakfast Buffet at The Wave?of American Flavors

posted on March 10th, 2011 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

If you prefer a quiet, delicious breakfast to start your Disney day, we?ve got the perfect spot ? The Wave?of American Flavors at Disney?s Contemporary Resort.

New Breakfast Buffet at The Wave...of American Flavors

There?s still an a la carte menu, but we recommend the bountiful buffet, tucked behind a wall at the back of the dining room. Well-lit and spotless, smaller serving dishes are often replenished from the nearby kitchen to keep tastes fresh and hot ? creamy grits and bacon, housemade gravy (that tastes like grandma makes), hash browns, quiche, piping hot scrambled eggs, omelets made to order. But we really loved the sweet potato pancakes with a dollop of sweetened butter. They don?t even need syrup.

wbb202040SMALL.jpg

Chef Frank Brough is most proud of the locally grown fruits and veggies. ?It?s the peak of the Florida citrus season, and we?re featuring locally grown citrus ? Honeybell oranges, pink grapefruit, Plant City strawberries, carambola (star fruit) from South Florida,? Chef Frank explained.

And you can eat healthfully ? or not. The granola is homemade, delicious with strawberry yogurt and topped with fresh berries. There?s oatmeal and turkey sausage and multi-grain mini-muffins. But there?s also cinnamon-vanilla bread pudding, and a coffee cake version of the ?Sticky Mickey? buns that we used to love at Concourse Steakhouse (featured from time to time on the buffet). Sous Chef Dylan Schauwecker says the apple strudel mini-muffins are another guest favorite.

[http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/new-breakfast-buffet-at-the-wave-of-american-flavors//url]

Breakfast Buffet -  $18.49 ages 10 and over,  $10.99 for ages 3-9.

Scrambled Eggs, Spinach and Feta Quiche, Hash Browns and Caramelized Onions, Eggs Benedict with Key Lime Hollandaise, Pancakes, Multigrain Waffles,Pork Sausage, Turkey Sausage, Bacon, Biscuits, Housemade Sausage Gravy, Oatmeal offered from the Kitchen, Grits with Bacon and Cheddar Cheese.  Cold Food Selections:  Plant City Strawberries tossed in Brown Sugar, Peaches, Florida Citrus, Banana?s, Boiled Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Housemade Granola, Assorted Mini Danish, Muffins and Cranberry Citrus Bread, Miniature Croissants, Mini Plain Bagels, G rapes, Whipped Butter, Jellies and Jams, Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon, Capers, Tomato and Onion Tray, and Sliced Boiled Eggs 

• 2 weeks later...

I found this review posted on the Disney Food blog.  Follow the link at the end to view all the photos...

Review: New Breakfast Buffet at The Wave in Disney?s Contemporary Resort

Mar 22nd, 2011

by AJ.

We?ve been reporting the news, and now I get to share the pics with you! The Wave?of American Flavors in Disney World?s Contemporary Resort has a brand new meal ? a breakfast buffet! They?ve been testing it since December, and according to one of the managers I had a chance to speak with, it looks like it?s going to stay. I?m glad to hear it; the buffet is delicious.

Wave-Sign-300x351.jpg

Atmosphere and Background

As we know, The Wave focuses on a sustainable menu full of local products. In fact, The Wave was just approved to change their menu every few months ? they?re one of the only non-signature restaurants able to do this ? so that they can offer an even wider variety of seasonal, local ingredients. I?m looking forward to the updates!

Contemporary Resort's The Wave Restaurant

Contemporary Resort's The Wave Restaurant

Regarding atmosphere, you can see a lot of great photos of the restaurant in our review of dinner at The Wave here. But here?s a quick pic from this week that shows that the Wave?s dining room is casual and simple. There?s not a lot of pretense here?but not a lot of theming either.

Wave Seating Area

Eats

As a result of the restaurant?s focus on high-quality, sustainable, local and seasonally influenced products, you?ll find some interesting items on The Wave?s breakfast buffet. Multi-grain Mickey Waffles, sweet potato pancakes, and pecan honey butter are fun additions to the standard buffet components. You?ll also find key lime hollandaise sauce and some beautiful local citrus and strawberries. At least that?s what you?ll find if you head to The Wave this week. Next week it might be different; we?re excited to see so much change.

These sweet potato pancakes with pecan honey butter (the butter was located over in the cold section of the buffet) were incredible. I?m not a huge sweet potato fan, but these tasted delicious ? sweet and nutty. They were like no other pancake I?ve had on a Disney buffet, and I think that?s a good overall theme for this review. The new items I sampled were unique; they were like nothing I?ve ever tried in any other Disney restaurant.

Sweet-Potato-Pancakes-300x449.jpg

Sweet Potato Pancakes

The multi-grain Mickey Waffles did have a bit of that standard malt flavor to them, but they were definitely a different taste. Still delicious and addictive, though.

One thing to be wary of ? there was some confusion about these! My dining companion and I were confused when we first saw them. They?re not labeled multi-grain and it wasn?t until I spoke with the Chef that I figured out what they were. I wondered at first glance, are they burnt? Are they chocolate? Nope! Multi-grain. A good reminder to always ask if something on the buffet seems confusing!

The Eggs Benedict with Key Lime Hollandaise Sauce looked delicious, but was a little heavy for me to try that morning. I stuck with scrambled eggs and pork sausage, breakfast potatoes (yum!), and some delicious strawberries.

Eggs-Benedict-with-key-lime-hollandaise-500x333.jpg

Eggs Benedict with key lime hollandaise

Potatoes-300x467.jpg

Breakfast Potatoes

I also sampled some of the restaurant?s yogurt with home-made granola. My friends, this was amazing! The granola is made with marcona almonds and tastes unbelievably buttery! Delicious!

Another fun addition to the buffet is inspired by a fan favorite from long ago. Guests used to be able to dine on ?sticky Mickeys? ? sticky buns shaped like our favorite animated mouse ? at the Contemporary Resort, but they?ve long since fallen off of the menus in the current restaurants. The Wave?s sticky Mickeys aren?t shaped like Mickey, but they do bring back the same delicious buttery, sticky, caramel-y flavors from the old favorite! I tried one, and it was well worth the calories!

Sticky-Mickeys-300x449.jpg

Sticky Mickeys

Also on the buffet were plenty of pastries and bagels; salmon, capers, and hard boiled eggs; bacon and biscuits with sausage gravy; grits with Tillamook Cheddar cheese; cereals and yogurt.

Pastry-1-500x333.jpg

Cherry and Apple Pastries

Grits-and-bacon-500x333.jpg

Bacon and Cheese Grits with Tillamook Cheddar

Overall

At $18.50 per adult, this is very likely one of the better breakfast buffets you?ll find in Walt Disney World in terms of food quality. While it doesn?t have the largest variety or the most compelling atmosphere, I think the food is incredibly high quality. The addition of those sticky Mickeys doesn?t hurt, either.

If you?re staying at the Contemporary or want a quick breakfast before heading to the Magic Kingdom, The Wave?s new breakfast buffet is a great idea.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/03/22/review-new-breakfast-buffet-at-the-wave-in-disneys-contemporary-resort/