From Inside the Magic, a makeover and a name change is on the way for the Polynesian...

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/05/trader-sams-grog-grotto-announced-for-disneys-polynesian-village-resort-part-of-walt-disney-world-hotel-upgrades/

Some excerpts...

Announced today, Walt Disney World is returning their famous Polynesian hotel to its original name, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, as part of an ongoing makeover.

But even more exciting to tiki fans is the announcement of Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, a larger version of the popular bar at the Disneyland Resort. It will be a family-oriented location, though details are not available yet.

Disney did release concept art for Trader Sam’s as well as the new look for its lobby area:

trader-sams-550x367.png

trader-sams2-550x403.png

lobby-550x264.png

Walt Disney World president George Kalogridis made the announcement during an “Around Our World” presentation to the press.

IMG_7599-550x366.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sleeps up to 8 people. That's only $262.50-$362.50 per person per night. When y'all have your renewal of vows ceremony just get 4 couples, 8 people. I will only need it for 4 nights. So if we

I was just at Trader Sams in march. If it's like the one at DL I think it'll be my new favorite stop on my monorail pub crawl. It's really cool.

No, not in the quick serve place.  But there will be one in every new bungalow.  All the Dole Whip you can eat, for only $4000/night. 

Official info from Disney Parks Blog...

PSL7696521THUMB.jpg

PRU9769563THUMB.jpg

Earlier today, Walt Disney World Resort President George A. Kalogridis announced some news about one of our most iconic resort hotels – Disney’s Polynesian Resort. As part of a complete re-imagining, Disney’s Polynesian Resort is returning to its original, 1971 opening day name: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

PRG0879653THUMB.jpg

PRG0879657THUMB.jpg

The sweeping renovation, happening now, also includes a new food and beverage experience opening for guests next year, Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto — based on the popular themed lounge at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, Calif. There’s going to be lots more updates on this beachside family favorite, so stay tuned.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/plans-for-a-re-imagined-disneys-polynesian-resort-include-a-nostalgic-name-change/

I wonder how much of the DL version they're going to include?

Intrepid explorers no doubt have heard of Sam’s legendary libations, as numerous and explosive as his escapades. Test your mettle by summoning Uh Oa, the tiki goddess of disaster, with this pleasin’ Polynesian cocktail of little-known nectars. Recruit a sailor to help you swig it and learn ’em of Falernum, a sweet potion smacking of almond, ginger, cloves and lime. Then stand back as the goddess unleashes her fury!

Shipwreck on the Rocks, Krakatoa Punch and the Shrunken Zombie Head are among Sam’s other antidotes for the ordinary. A boatload of beers and wines are also served for thirsty travelers 21 and over, while Sam’s No-Booze Brews will enchant half-pint headhunters.

Is that a rumble in the jungle or just in your stomach? Fear not, for unforgettable cruise-ine is around the river’s bend. Sam’s pu pu platter is nothing to pooh-pooh, with “ooh ooh!”-inspiring nibbles of glazed Portuguese sausage bites, sweet and spicy Asian wings, panko-crusted Chinese long beans, tropical slaw and Sriracha aioli. Sail uncharted waters for more undeniably satisfying discoveries like sushi-grade ahi poke, the Angus Hawaiian cheeseburger, Kalua pork flatbread and teriyaki chicken breast sandwich.

Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar welcomes children until 8:00 PM but is restricted to Guests 21 and over thereafter. All menu items are subject to change without notice.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/trader-sams/

Video here...

http://youtu.be/NTTmwGAKisg

Same.

Trader Sams looks fun, but I don't even want to look at the prices for the drinks.

What I really want to know is if the self-serve Dole Whip machine is coming back.

TCD

I don't remember the drink prices at DL being out of the norm, for Disney. If I remember correctly they had some big drinks, meant to share that were high but they are made for two more people.

Think of the Kitchen Sink at beaches n cream but for adults.

I don't remember the drink prices at DL being out of the norm, for Disney. If I remember correctly they had some big drinks, meant to share that were high but they are made for two more people.

Think of the Kitchen Sink at beaches n cream but for adults.

Sounds like fun.

I am definitely going to check it out, and it's great that it's on the monorail loop.

No, not in the quick serve place.  But there will be one in every new bungalow.  All the Dole Whip you can eat, for only $4000/night. 

Oh yeah, I forgot.

What a deal.

TCD

I really like the Poly. And I like the waterfall. It makes it unique. 

I wonder if they'll replace the art store with that bar.

Tambu Lounge and the coffee area are pretty small. 

The art store takes up a lot of space, and I imagine they'd make much more money from a bar.  But, I think they'd like this to be on the same floor as the monorail.

But, you're right- both the coffee/former sushi bar and the Tambu lounge area are small.

The announcement said this Trader Sam's is going to be bigger than the Disneyland one.

I can't think of where they're going to find space to put it.  I wonder if they're going to fill in some of the open area on the second floor of the lobby since the waterfall is being removed?

TCD

The art store takes up a lot of space, and I imagine they'd make much more money from a bar.  But, I think they'd like this to be on the same floor as the monorail.

But, you're right- both the coffee/former sushi bar and the Tambu lounge area are small.

The announcement said this Trader Sam's is going to be bigger than the Disneyland one.

I can't think of where they're going to find space to put it.  I wonder if they're going to fill in some of the open area on the second floor of the lobby since the waterfall is being removed?

TCD

I wonder if Captain Cooks will move permanently to the old gallery location. Then Trader Same could flow outside to the pool area where Captain Cook's is now. 

But people at the Poly pool are constantly going in and out of Capt Cook's because that's the only place to get food while you're at the pool. They wouldn't want all those people in wet suits walking around inside the lobby, at least I don't think so. 

But you could very easily open a new entrance at the back of the old gallery to the pool area as well. Use a shared kitchen area for both locations.