Dolly Is Upping Her Game

We have actually been to Dollywood several times.  Being an annual pass holder there is like 6 times cheaper than Disney.  Might not be as big, but there are some great roller coasters, very friendly people, clean, well taken care of and great surroundings, (insert joke here).  If I can't pull off a Disney Trip, Dollywood is a pretty good alternative. 

I agree!  I was skeptical until we were gifted annual passes and I can tell you it's totally worth it!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dollywood is getting its first on-site resort hotel.  It looks very nice.    http://dreammoreresort.com/    A vacation at Dollywood is not cheap by any means, but I think it does fit the budgets of m

Maybe we should flood their suggestion box for a campground

We have actually been to Dollywood several times.  Being an annual pass holder there is like 6 times cheaper than Disney.  Might not be as big, but there are some great roller coasters, very friendly people, clean, well taken care of and great surroundings, (insert joke here).  If I can't pull off a Disney Trip, Dollywood is a pretty good alternative.

I couldn't agree more. As many of you know we love the smokies almost more than Disney. Dollywood is an Awesome park. Yes the attendance and size will never compare to Disney but the southern hospitality and charm will surprise you. They actually have more thrill rides then all 3 Disney parks. I hope when some of you go to the GG in Townsend you get a chance to visit this park. I also think the tourist crap and shops are much better in Pigeon Forge is a heck of a lot better than Orlando. We have not been to the smokies in 2 years mostly because we get too nervous pulling our 34ft TT that far. We have actually been considering downsizing because of that. If Dolly did a campground like the fort, I think I would bite my nails completely off and make the trip

I couldn't agree more. As many of you know we love the smokies almost more than Disney. Dollywood is an Awesome park. Yes the attendance and size will never compare to Disney but the southern hospitality and charm will surprise you. They actually have more thrill rides then all 3 Disney parks. I hope when some of you go to the GG in Townsend you get a chance to visit this park. I also think the tourist crap and shops are much better in Pigeon Forge is a heck of a lot better than Orlando. We have not been to the smokies in 2 years mostly because we get too nervous pulling our 34ft TT that far. We have actually been considering downsizing because of that. If Dolly did a campground like the fort, I think I would bite my nails completely off and make the trip

I would love it if Dolly did a campground.  You know it would be done right.....the absolute breast campground in the Smokies.  

I would love it if Dolly did a campground.  You know it would be done right.....the absolute breast campground in the Smokies.

I agree. I think it would fit in between the two valleys...the ones with the matching peaks

Maybe for a bit, but camping there is pretty seasonal.  Eventually you'd want to head south for some warmth.

True, but even the scenery down south changes with each passing season :)

Maybe she will add her own version of Wine and Garden with bush triming in cute shapes.

I'm working at my company's office in DC this week, and now people are wondering why I just burst out laughing.  Luckily I'm not one who is prone to having drinks come out his nose, because this coffee is really hot. 

We have AP's at Disney AND Dollywood, so we get to each at least once a year.   This year we are planning Dollywood for July 4th and Thanksgiving.  July for us in the motorhome, Thanksgiving for more family in a "cabin".  Then Disney at the Fort for Christmas/NewYears.  

Shawnee loves the train and the hamburgers, although he is also getting to like Aunt Grannie's Buffet (all you care to eat).  Since we found the path by Aunt Grannie's toward the train it is much easier to get the wheelchairs up to the train than going up the steeper slope directly in front of the train.  There are any number of both indoor and outdoor shows to stop at.  Since we don't do the coasters, we rarely go around the newer top loop.  That is quite a climb with the chairs.  Outside of Dollywood we do some shopping along the Parkway and in the Outlets.  There are a lot of things to do on the Parkway, especially if we have grandkids with us.  We go through the SM Park to Cherokee and Maggie Valley to see what improvements have been made at Ghost Town, and often back to SantaLand.  We can always keep busy, even if it's just relaxing at the MH or cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Maryanne I hope you get some useful answers that don't included boob jokes. I also hope for world peace. One of them probably won't happen and I'm not sure which.

I am fairly certain there will be some actual helpful information posted here.

I am also fairly certain there will be more boob jokes.  8)

Maryanne I hope you get some useful answers that don't included boob jokes. I also hope for world peace. One of them probably won't happen and I'm not sure which.

Yes I knew this was a dangerous thread.

I am fairly certain there will be some actual helpful information posted here.

I am also fairly certain there will be more boob jokes.  8)

I figure I will have to sort through all the responses to get some helpful info. At least this gives the boys something to do!

We are actually considering Dollywood instead of the Fort this summer. Where do you camp when there? Are there shuttles to the park?

I'll get the helpful info out of the way so the boob jokes can continue :)

There are a LOT of campgrounds relatively close to Dollywood, but nothing like the Fort to Disney. I would venture a guess that 90% of the campgrounds have a trolly that either comes through the campground or has a stop within walking distance from the campground. The trollys will take you all over the Pigeon Forge\Gatlinburg are and there are some that are running routes directly to Dollywood. Here is a link to the trolly routes, this one is specific to the Dollywood route: Clicky

There's also a special Trolley that will give door-to-door service for special mobility needs.  We used it several times to Dollywood in the past for 50 cents a person, and we could schedule pickup and delivery times to suit our schedule.  We have stayed at River Plantation several times and the special trolley came right to our campsite.  I think it will hold 4-5 wheelchairs, although some may need to be child sized.  The regular run trolley has a stop right outside the campground...but it is a pretty good walk up the hill at the entrance.