Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge Announced Today

The Disney Parks Blog announced today (5/14/14) that there will be a new award available in conjunction with the January, 2015 WDW Marathon weekend.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/inaugural-disney-castaway-cay-challenge-announced-today/

The details:

The inaugural challenge, which takes place in January 2015, combines our Castaway Cay 5K with any Walt Disney World Marathon race with a distance of 5K or longer. Following the completion of an eligible race at Walt Disney World Resort, cruisers on the January 12 Disney Dream voyage from Port Canaveral, Florida can then take part in the second half of the challenge – the Castaway Cay 5K – when the ship stops at our private island  in the Bahamas.

If you complete both races within the pacing requirements, you’ll earn the Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge Medal in addition to your Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Castaway Cay 5K finisher medals.

One big problem- they announced this after the 5K, 10K, Half and Full Marathons were already sold-out.

WTG Disney!

TCD

The Disney Parks Blog announced today (5/14/14) that there will be a new award available in conjunction with the January, 2015 WDW Marathon weekend.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/inaugural-disney-castaway-cay-challenge-announced-today/

The details:

The inaugural challenge, which takes place in January 2015, combines our Castaway Cay 5K with any Walt Disney World Marathon race with a distance of 5K or longer. Following the completion of an eligible race at Walt Disney World Resort, cruisers on the January 12 Disney Dream voyage from Port Canaveral, Florida can then take part in the second half of the challenge – the Castaway Cay 5K – when the ship stops at our private island  in the Bahamas.

If you complete both races within the pacing requirements, you’ll earn the Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge Medal in addition to your Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Castaway Cay 5K finisher medals.

One big problem- they announced this after the 5K, 10K, Half and Full Marathons were already sold-out.

WTG Disney!

TCD

That probably means the cruise bookings for then are light. Let's try and tap the runners for another race to fill the boat. 

That probably means the cruise bookings for then are light. Let's try and tap the runners for another race to fill the boat. 

Bingo!

I'll bet they fill the ship, too.

Been there done that, won't do it ever again. I just wanted the cheap Mickey medal.

Wait.

You get a different cheap Mickey medal for this race.  And a "free" t-shirt.

And, from what I can tell, you will be paying extra to run the 5K, for which there has not been an extra charge up until now.  The price must be embarrassing, since Disney hasn't even listed it yet-registration doesn't open until May 23rd.  I guess they want you to book your cruise first, then they'll drop that bomb.

Go Disney!

TCD

Bingo!

I'll bet they fill the ship, too.

Wait.

You get a different cheap Mickey medal for this race.  And a "free" t-shirt.

And, from what I can tell, you will be paying extra to run the 5K, for which there has not been an extra charge up until now.  The price must be embarrassing, since Disney hasn't even listed it yet-registration doesn't open until May 23rd.  I guess they want you to book your cruise first, then they'll drop that bomb.

Go Disney!

TCD

We didn't get a free T shirt, it was extra.

And you're right, it didn't cost extra to participate. Maybe it's just for that particular cruise.

The link on active.com lists $40:

I love me some runDisney events but this is insane.

Duh.

You have to pay extra so you can get the "free" t-shirt and special crappy medal.

TCD

Exactly right.

Let's do the math.

$3 for the T shirt and 50 cents for the special plastic medal. Nice profit for something that is usually free.

Exactly right.

Let's do the math.

$3 for the T shirt and 50 cents for the special plastic medal. Nice profit for something that is usually free.

And, I'll bet they don't have to offer any discounts to fill that sailing.  Ordinarily, mid-January would be a time you might expect to see some deals.

Disney always wins.

TCD

So do you have to run a race during marathon weekend in January? Or do you qualify if you do any race before the Castaway Cay 5k? Not that I can go on a cruise in January, but I'm just wondering.

Yes you have to run a race during marathon weekend in January and then do that particular cruise. 

I also think a longer distance would have attracted more people. If you just did a marathon or a half marathon, a 5K afterward is anticlimactic. 

Recovery run.  Only with several days, 12 huge meals and a lot of drinking in between.  

I didn't say it would be a very effective recovery run.  

Yes, it's dumb.

See Jason's post (#2) above.

Some genius in the DCL marketing department cooked up this stupid idea to try to sell some more cabins during a slow cruise week.

That's all.  It isn't for the runners.  It's for DCL.

This is how the Disney empire operates now-a-days.  They throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

The beauty of this plan is that it costs Disney nothing.  If they fill up a few cabins, and they will, they win.

TCD

Yes, it's dumb.

See Jason's post (#2) above.

Some genius in the DCL marketing department cooked up this stupid idea to try to sell some more cabins during a slow cruise week.

That's all.  It isn't for the runners.  It's for DCL.

This is how the Disney empire operates now-a-days.  They throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

The beauty of this plan is that it costs Disney nothing.  If they fill up a few cabins, and they will, they win.

TCD

Yes, that's completely right.  

And in that vein, my marketing department is set to release details of the Inaugural DIT Challenge!

All of this MUST be completed within one 18 hour period.  

It begins at 4pm with the 500 Run or Roll.  All contestants must complete one loop around Buffalo Bend at the Fort.  You may run.....or roll, if you prefer to travel by golf cart.  

You then must finish the Tap n Roll.....drinking a beer (or other beverage of choice for those fools who don't like beer) while looping on golf cart from 500 to the marina.  

All contestants then travel via boat and monorial to Disney's fabulous Polynesian Village Resort for the 3rd leg of the challenge.....the 'Ohana 15k!  No, you don't run a 15k...you consume 15,000 calories before you are allowed to leave.  Strap on those feedbags!  

That concludes day 1 of the challenge.....rest up for the 4th and final leg:  the Stall #2 Deuce Drop!   This must be completed by 10am, so contestants are urged to wake early and give themselves enough time.  

Who's in??

And in that vein, my marketing department is set to release details of the Inaugural DIT Challenge!

It begins at 4pm with the 500 Run or Roll.  All contestants must complete one loop around Buffalo Bend at the Fort.  You may run.....or roll, if you prefer to travel by golf cart.  

You then must finish the Tap n Roll.....drinking a beer (or other beverage of choice for those fools who don't like beer) while looping on golf cart from 500 to the marina.  

All contestants then travel via boat and monorial to Disney's fabulous Polynesian Village Resort for the 3rd leg of the challenge.....the 'Ohana 15k!  No, you don't run a 15k...you consume 15,000 calories before you are allowed to leave.  Strap on those feedbags!  

That concludes day 1 of the challenge.....rest up for the 4th and final leg:  the Stall #2 Deuce Drop!   This must be completed by 10am, so contestants are urged to wake early and give themselves enough time.  

Who's in??

This all sounded great until you mentioned the Deuce Drop.

Stall #2 will never be the same.

TCD

Who's in??

I'm signing up as we speak!