Space saver. What a joke. I told my DW to call AAA and don't even put that joke of a tire on her car.

My DS has a mustang and fortunately has a big enough trunk to accommodate the full size spare we replaced his donut spare with.

I've never used AAA's service, personally, but my DW, DS, and MIL has.

I don't know if AAA in Florida offers the family plan but IMHO it's worth the peace of mind it gives me.

Mrs. TCD, my oldest daughter, and I all have AAA.  My oldest DD has used their services several times, and it's been great. 

The twins both have Mini's and those cars came with the Mini Roadside Assistance, so I haven't added them to AAA.  This is the first time in three years that we had to call.  It all worked out.  If I had been consulted, I probably would have asked that the spare be put on the car, and I would have had Twin #2 drive the car herself to a tire shop- not the dealer.  The way it worked out, probably cost me a lot more than if I had been able to shop around for a tire shop, but I guess the convenience was worth it.  These cars have tire monitors, so I guess it's good that I had the dealer do it to make sure there are no problems down the road.

TCD

I have a four year old Mini Cooper with original tires. My front tires are wearing faster than my rear tires.

All front wheel drive cars will wear the front tired more than the rear.

Front drives are the drive tires so all the engines power is transferred to the front tires. And when you stop your tires are out under more strain then the rear.

This is why I, mistakenly, said to put the new tires up front. I have my tires rotated every two oil changes. Rotating your tires will help them wear more evenly.

A quick web search netted this from Michelin;

For continued optimized vehicle performance, it is 
recommended that all tires be replaced at the same time. 
If only two tires are being replaced, the two newer tires 
need to be installed on the rear axle, regardless of vehicle 
drive type. The new tires with deeper tread will provide 
better wet grip and evacuate water more effectively - which 
helps delay the onset of hydroplaning. Deeper tread tires on 
the rear axle will help avoid loss of vehicle stability on wet 
surfaces.

You learn something new every day.

Back in the days when I was in auto shop and then working at the Plymouth (ancient times) dealer, the newer tires always went on the rear.  That way if there is a blowout on the older tire on the front you have a chance to steer where as a rear blowing you don't have as much control.  But again that was a looooong time ago.

My wife's car doesn't have a spare tire either. That's why she has a AAA membership.

Sil has AAA too. She has a 50 mile each way drive to work. If the tire goes on the way there the donut wouldnt get her home anyway. Plus it gets us a discount at Earl of Sandwich and thats the real reason to have it right?