General questions about loop 1200 or similar loops

First off let me say I was glad I saw pointers to this site from the Forest River Forums. I've been able to read a lot about FW and find things I never would have thought about.

My wife and I are planning a trip to the MK in early October. We haven't been to the Orlando area since the children grew up and my brother passed away. Must be going on twelve years or so. We have never stayed inside the park as my brother always comp'ed us free rooms at the hotel he managed. This time we thought we would take the TT and stay inside the park to see what it is like. This brings up a some questions (doesn't it always?).

As we are empty nesters with no pets we don't need to be close to the different activities and would prefer a quieter, less hectic area. Being in the woods or near the water would be ideal. Being near but not next door to a Comfort Station would be nice but not mandatory. We would prefer not to back up to a road. From what I have read the 1200 loop would fit this. Are there other preium loops that would work? 

I see a lot of talk about golf carts. My wife and I are used to walking and hiking at home and when we travel. What distances are we talking about in getting around between the various areas of FW or to the MK busses?

If I decide to do some fishing do I require a Florida fishing license?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. 

My husband and I either walk or ride bikes.  We have not rented a golf cart either time we went.  There are internal fort busses with several bus stops and I found it not a great distance to walk to anything if you are used to walking.  I would recommend a small flash light for after dark.  there are a lot of darker areas on the walking paths and they are also used by bikes.  the flashlight would make it easier for you to be seen and to see.

We just stayed in 1200.  

It's our new fave.

We are homebodies.

It was pretty quiet, which we like.

And the sites were really secluded.

Also a plus for homebodies like us.

I don't like people, so it was good.

From what I hear, you do not need a license to fish at the Fort, because it's catch and release, but I'm not the fishing expert around here.

Our site backed up to the comfort station.  

Other than hearing the comfort station a/c coming on every now and then, it was awesome.  

It was like having a bathroom in our backyard, except better.

The lower numbers in 1200 are adjacent to a road, but beyond maybe 1220 or so, they are internal sites, and quieter.  We like the 1200 loop, but mainly for the larger sites that make setting up our Christmas decorations easier.  As for distances, the Fort is about a mile front to back and maybe a half mile across.  The Meadows area is in the middle, and convenient to the 1200 and 1300 loops, among others.  The Outpost is at the checkin end and the Settlement is at the other end.  Wide paved sidewalks throughout, but with very little lighting after dark.

No license is needed for fishing.

Bikes are a great way to get around.

I can't answer about the 1200 loop, but there is an Android/IOS app called Fort Wilderness Sites that has pictures and sizes of most of the sites in the Fort.

There is a link to Google Earth of the fort that will give you a rough idea of the size and distances.

There are trails to walk on, a path that goes to Wilderness Lodge, nightly wagon rides, fireworks at the Magic Kingdom that you can see from the beach, a nightly electrical water pageant that passes the beach nightly around 9:40 or so.

There is a lot to do and see or you can enjoy a slower pace if you wish.

Above all have fun

Welcome!!!

Another good loop would be the backside of 800. It is a large loop and a good portion is away from from the road.

As others have said, it is about a mile from one end of the campground to the other, but after a long day at the parks, the buses to take you back to your loop are always there.

Thanks for the responses.

Our normal daily walks are four to five miles although we have been known to cut them short during our NC summers. A mile won't be that much especially since we will be going in the fall when it should be cooler. Planning to make reservations today for a Sunday through Thursday trip the end of September.

Welcome!!

You've gotten some good info already, I just wanted to add that there's a Site Classifications page here on the site that might have some helpful info for you...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

It includes all kinds of info/spec of the various loops/sites as well as links to a great Google Earth application, videos of all the camping loops and a link to the Fort Fiends mobile app that has photos and site specs.

I live with the humidity here at home but for us mid-September is when we start to cool down and dry out ....  Ponchos and umbrellas are permanently stored in the TT. I'm less concerned with rain than I am a hurricane. September is the big month and we are heading to the number one place to find one. Might see about pushing it back a couple of more weeks into mid-October 

I'm less concerned with rain than I am a hurricane. September is the big month and we are heading to the number one place to find one. Might see about pushing it back a couple of more weeks into mid-October 

Having lived here for over 20 years and also having ridden out 3 serious hurricanes in one year, the likelihood of a hurricane hitting WDW when you're here are slim.

They are very rare. It's been 10 years.

It's more likely that heavy rain, and or, high winds, or the temps will negatively impact your stay more than the chances of a possible hurricane will. I wouldn't let it affect my decision.

The hurricane part was a bit tongue in cheek. Forgot the smiley. The look at delaying has more to do with temperature and rain. Looked up the October averages and it just seems a better time to go. Now I have to see how the overall costs compare and what my wife's schedule looks like. 

I've been through several hurricanes myself since we moved here in 1992. Always been lucky that the falling trees missed the house. Fran actually saved us the trouble of having to power wash the house. I had never seen the brick so clean. ^-^ 

October is generally better... except for last year.  We got there the 2nd week of October and it was HOT and humid.  Stayed in the high 80s for much of the week and it was "soupy" in terms of humidity.  We were not amused.  8)

It got much more comfortable after that but this is the first Oct/Nov trip we've had in many years where we had the a/c  on the entire 3 weeks.

As we are empty nesters with no pets we don't need to be close to the different activities and would prefer a quieter, less hectic area. Being in the woods or near the water would be ideal. Being near but not next door to a Comfort Station would be nice but not mandatory. We would prefer not to back up to a road. From what I have read the 1200 loop would fit this. Are there other preium loops that would work? 

Hey Keith-

Welcome!

I don't know where you read that the sites on the 1200 loop do not back up to a road, but wherever it was, that is bad info.

Almost all of the outer sites on the 1200 loop back up to one of the two major roads in the campground.  You can see that in this aerial photo:

1200_zpsd17b7d1b.jpg

That said, I camped Thanksgiving week one year in a site on 1200 that backed right up to the four-way stop, and didn't have any problems with traffic noise.

But, if it's important to you not to back up to a road, you should be looking at another loop- I agree with the suggestions of the back part of 800 or 900.  Those are both pet loops, though.

Or, you can ask for a site on the inside of the 1200 or 1300 loops.

TCD

Hey Keith-

Welcome!

I don't know where you read that the sites on the 1200 loop do not back up to a road, but wherever it was, that is bad info.

Almost all of the outer sites on the 1200 loop back up to one of the two major roads in the campground.  You can see that in this aerial photo:

1200_zpsd17b7d1b.jpg

That said, I camped Thanksgiving week one year in a site on 1200 that backed right up to the four-way stop, and didn't have any problems with traffic noise.

But, if it's important to you not to back up to a road, you should be looking at another loop- I agree with the suggestions of the back part of 800 or 900.  Those are both pet loops, though.

Or, you can ask for a site on the inside of the 1200 or 1300 loops.

TCD

I found the maps, video and such when I first came to the site. As matter of fact it quite impressed me with the amount of info so readily available. I didn't see anything that said 1200 didn't have sites that backed up to the road but I did see folks saying it was a quieter area and from the maps I could see it wasn't near noisier areas like the pool or basket ball courts. My intent is to request an inner circle or back campsite. If there are similar loops I figure it doesn't hurt to throw them in with my request to increase the odds of getting a campsite with the majority of our preferences.