Are you going to be towing a car? You don't want to drive your RV through the streets of Baltimore. I

live in Street, MD and went with my Dad everyday for his radiation treatments when he had a type of head

cancer. Your son couldn't be at a better hospital. Prayers sent for your son and your family.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please tell your son we don't care whether he's in his chair or not.  It's just such a blessing to meet the people we have been praying for!

http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/baltimore-city/florida-boy-with-rare-condition-gets-help-at-hopkins http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm-beach-county/west-palm-beach/acreage-10-year-olds-medical

And we will give him lots and lots of candy :)

We spent two days a week for 8 months of behavioral therapy with my son on the Johns Hopkins (Broadway) downtown campus through Kennedy Krieger and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.  It is very difficult driving and I would not want to take a camper through the area.  I also know that the building we were in offered free valet parking, so we pulled up and went straight into the hospital. If  I can be of any help while you are in the area, please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Thank you guys for all the info. I will be looking into the ones mentioned. We will have a car also. Just don't know about 45 minute drive. My son will be admitted for the week and I will be staying with him, and don't know how the wife will feel about a 45 minute drive.

On the driving through Baltimore with a camper, I have already experienced this unfortunately. It's kind of a funny story so I will tell it. Our last medical trip was to Boston over spring break. It was my wife, son, my parents and myself. As we were driving through Baltimore we never realized that here would be a tunnel. So we were more concerned with new Yorkshire tunnels. So we kept driving right through Baltimore. As we got closer to the center we starts seeing the signs advising us to get off we kept going. I was driving wih my father co-piloting. He is in his 60s. He kept saying I drove a camper up here before you kids were born. So we are talking a long time ago. I kept questioning him, and he kept insisting we would be fine. The more I questioned he finally came up with some reasoning. Follow that semi, if he can go through we can go through.mso here we go. Right before the tunnel comes a big yellow sign all vehicles with propane exit now. I looked At him like I was going to ring his neck. On a side note. We were trying to make it to boston that night in a new to him camper. We had blown a tire just spun of dc. When we got out and looked at the tires they were dry rotted between the treads. So we had to have 6 new tires put on that day. So that delayed us a few hours. I kept saying we could make it. So back to the story. So we get off of the road at that exit which has detour route signs through the city. His new co-pilot plan was just follow the detour signs.mso we do this for a couple miles and then they just stop. So now we are down by he ravens stadium somehow with no idea of where to go. So now enter the women jumping in on navigating. While in a big motorhome. Needless to say we ended up back at the tunnel a second time then passing the ravens stadium about 5 times. A bum was laughing at us because we passes him so many times at the same light. I mean literally laughing and pointing at us, probably because you can imagine there was some arguing going on in the cab. I was so frustrated I even pointed at he bum and said even he's laughing at us. Finally my wife jumped on a camper forum which told us we had to take Francis Scott key bridge. So we then got out of Baltimore. Only took us close to 2 hours of driving on city streets. Thank god my other truck is a fire engine other words we probably we have left some paint and bumpers in town.

To end the story it worked out in our favor. It forced us to stop that night. So we found a campground across the Hudson from NYC. It was in jersey. I believe it was called liberty harbor campground. The view was like no other. New York City always Is a great view , but having that view from a campground was a once in a lifetime experience. Stepping out he next morning at 630 and seeing the Statue of Liberty was amazing. We didn't get there till about 1230 am then left before 8. Stayed just long enough to get photos with the sun up and took off. It was one of those calm moments in the middle of a chaotic storm that even if it was only for a very short time. It was worth it. Then actually when we left boston we left around 10 am we stopped at the same campground on the way back even though we got there early and could have driven a lot further we made ourselves stop. There was only about 10 campers in the whole campground. So we got there and sat in from of the camper looking at he city and statue. It was a good day.

That's my funny story about Baltimore. Thank you guys very much for the prayers and thoughts it means a lot. Hopefully we will have all this resolved and see you in October for Halloween. We live just over 2 and a half hours from the fort and haven't been at all since Halloween as this hit in November, but we used to go about evey 6 weeks. Now I just have together a spot for Halloween, but with everything goin on I keep forgetting. And the closer it gets the more I lose hope in getting a spot

...A bum was laughing at us because we passes him so many times at the same light. I mean literally laughing and pointing at us, probably because you can imagine there was some arguing going on in the cab.

LOL!!  Good thing you can laugh about it. All I could think of reading that was "Look kids!  Big Ben! Parliament!" :rofl3:

Given the campground you found as a result, I'd chalk that one up to "things happen for a reason."

We'll keep sending the good thoughts and prayers your way that you make that Halloween trip as planned.

Lol.mthats exactly what I kept saying every time we passed the ravens stadium. Look kids Big Ben. Lol.

Yeah we actually think back about that night, even though it was only a couple months ago, it still seems so long ago. Especially after the months we have been having. We keep saying maybe someone was trying to tell us to stop there. That day was crazy the night before we stopped at south of the border and all night there was a problem with electric connection so alarms kept going off in the camper. So we got up and fixed it, but didn't get much sleep. Then we tried to fill up with propane that morning and he truck was late, but we needed it for the heat. Then we blew the tires then got lost in Baltimore. After that he rest of the trip up and back was pretty much problem free. Other than we got stopped by snow in North Carolina on the way home, but we kind of meant to get caught in it. So someone for one day of our trip was trying to tell us to stop in Baltimore

You don't need to be driving a big MH to get lost in Maryland.  You just need a bad GPS.  Last year I drove an equinox trying to get to NJ that night and got lost in Maryland around Blatimore for 2 hours going both north and then south.  I feel some of your pain.  I just hope everything went well at John Hopkins.

Sounds like things have been covered pretty well so far- Kapitol KOA in Millersville is likely the best option. Second to that are either going to be Bar Harbor or Whispering Pines but both of those will be 45 minute drives.

We live in Columbia, MD. 9 years ago, my daughter was treated for a cancerous brain tumor when she was 1. I don't know how old your son is, but if it is pediatric, they have housing for folks from out of town. Almost on-site and across the city at a Ronald McDonald house. We lived too close when my daughter was in to qualify, but they still helped us get setup with an apartment in the city for ridiculously cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like things have been covered pretty well so far- Kapitol KOA in Millersville is likely the best option. Second to that are either going to be Bar Harbor or Whispering Pines but both of those will be 45 minute drives.We live in Columbia, MD. 9 years ago, my daughter was treated for a cancerous brain tumor when she was 1. I don't know how old your son is, but if it is pediatric, they have housing for folks from out of town. Almost on-site and across the city at a Ronald McDonald house. We lived too close when my daughter was in to qualify, but they still helped us get setup with an apartment in the city for ridiculously cheap.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent a week in the Columbia area with my family. My sister lives over on Columbia Rd. We spent about 5 days there and then went to the Courtyard over by NSA. I wish I had known you were here so that we could have had a Fiend meet up.
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for everyone's help. We ended up not camping. We decided to go to our cabin in North Carolina the week before and spend time with family. He surgery he was having could of been pretty bad. So we wanted to have a good week before we left. The surgery went well. The surgery ended up being the first of its kind. It was pretty amazing. He hasn't been in a wheelchair in a month. So pretty happy. Can't wait to go to the fort to try his legs out there. Thanks again for everyone's help for our Boston trip and Baltimore trip.