Polly Luna wakes up! A classic RV build story

I'm impressed you are tackling the paint. My husband's uncle restores old cars and Jason grew up in that shop. He says once the prep work is done (which would be the hardest part of the job), that's an 8-10 hour paint job. When I told him what they quoted you, he said the same thing... they don't want to do it. 

It's unfortunate, too, because we were all prepared to give them our money! Oh well. I guess I'll chalk this up to a good character building experience. :)

Wow... I am really impressed by the amount of work that you've done!  You should be very, very proud  :thumbsup2:

Thank you! It certainly has been a ton of work but the phrase, "labor of love" definitely applies here. 

I can't believe you are painting it yourself.  That is so much work.

You're telling me. I was thinking that after the first hour and I'd only sanded a two foot by two foot section. We made decent progress over the course of the weekend, but we have so much ahead of us still.

Wowsa!!!  You may just be the most ambitious people I know of.

Or the craziest.   8)

Should we start up a sand paper collection?

Craziest. I vote for craziest!  Although actually, I prefer the word, "zany."  Has a bit more of a whimsical flair. :)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Polly Luna has always had nice lines and now they're even nicer.   The color combination is one of my favorites. Here's one of my creations, notice anything.  

Meet the newest member of our family, Polly Luna, a 1967 Dodge Travco motorhome.       We've always been big fans of vintage vehicles, and before our kids were born we camped in a 1972 VW Contempo ca

Before I dive into this one, I just have to warn you that I might turn up the cheese a bit in the next two updates. A bit more than usual, that is.   We've been working so hard on Polly Luna. Practica

A full update in a day or so, but let's just say that this weekend was a bit of a bust. Some random stuff got done, mainly a bunch of shopping. 

However...

We did do something incredibly stupid. Cool, but stupid. And the Fiends made me do it. I warned you in another thread that it might happen, and it did. More on this later.  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is so fun to read. 

It's going to be beautiful, love the bluie/green color and the birch is outstanding, good finish work on it too..

Your children are clever and cute.

Your voice is fine, most people I have heard comment on their own voice, myself included, think the same as you, "I don't like the sound of my voice."  You sound fine.

BTW  Up date please ;)

All caught up, looking forward to hearing more. Funny, we too recently found a harley 3 wheel, ours is a 1969 and about the same color you painted your cabinets. Looks great on your cabinets, not so much on our cart. I am hoping the florida rains will hold off enough soon so that I can repaint it before we take it on its first trip to the fort next month.

Hope your renovations are moving along smoothly and you will have lots to report real soon.

Okay folks, sorry about the wait! I could make a bunch of excuses about how busy I’ve been (and I have been), but to be honest with you, this update is so late because for the past few weeks Polly Luna has gotten progressively uglier.

And do you know how boring body work is? You might have already guessed that fact, but until you spend 30 minutes sanding the same 1x1 foot area on a vehicle you really can’t imagine.

Fun fact: Excluding the roof, Polly has a surface area of around 912 sq ft. I figured it up to torture myself as I was sanding one day. Sanding for hours.

But you don’t tune in to read a litany of complaints. Here’s what’s been going on with the old girl over the past few weeks.

First of all, we got rid of most of the red. At this stage, I actually think she looks better. I was never a fan of the maroon red stripe. Even if the paint had been in good shape, I would have wanted to repaint her eventually.

image_zps857d6fcd.jpg

As we were removing the old paint we discovered the original gel coat color. I wish it was in good shape, because it would have been cool to take her back to her original condition. This is the color combo she had when she was new (This isn't Polly Luna, but I wish!).

1969_Dodge_Travco_270_343.JPG

This is a very classic design for the Travcos. Solid color with a stripe. We’ll recreate this with the new paint, although with different colors. Which I’m not telling you about yet. :)

Another thing we discovered once the paint was sanded down was that there was a ton of damage on the back end, and some pretty terrible repair work that had been done. I'm no body work expert, but I'm pretty sure that bondo meant for metal cars doesn't work as well for filling giant holes in fiberglass. You could literally push the chunk of bondo out of the damaged areas with your hands. DH dug it all out. It was a scary moment.

1acc5ba7-1a52-4460-a307-cc2507fddc09_zps

Then he used some fiberglass mat and resin to fill the spots in again. A little filler (Bondo meant for fiberglass this time) and it still needs to be smoothed a bit, but it looks whole again. Whole instead of hole.

LOL, I crack myself up.

10308551_773604042661806_593613994172045

Speaking of cracks...

Remember the crazy "crazing"? Well, unfortunately the only way to make sure those don't crack through the new paint is to fill them with a fiberglass bondo that will expand/contract at the same rate as the fiberglass body around them. And hopefully not crack our new paint. Hopefully.

So we made Polly look absolutely stunning.

2797dbdc-fbfa-4b45-83b6-6d9afafe50f7_zps

And then we undressed her again. I won't describe how tedious this was. You can probably imagine. Here is a picture of an hours worth of work.

8de3c184-3534-4a1d-9cce-e00b742b04d4_zps

It looks like we took off all of the bondo, but the cracks are now green so I'm going to assume they are filled. Because any other result might make me ugly cry.

This weekend we'll be doing our final sanding over the whole coach and also removing the red stripe at the top. Can you tell we've been dreading that part?

I think we're finally going to get to the point of spray filler next weekend. And then we have to sand the whole body. Again.

I have a few other random updates (interior and golf cart) coming soon! For real this time.