Polly Luna wakes up! A classic RV build story

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Polly Luna has always had nice lines and now they're even nicer.   The color combination is one of my favorites. Here's one of my creations, notice anything.  

Meet the newest member of our family, Polly Luna, a 1967 Dodge Travco motorhome.       We've always been big fans of vintage vehicles, and before our kids were born we camped in a 1972 VW Contempo ca

Before I dive into this one, I just have to warn you that I might turn up the cheese a bit in the next two updates. A bit more than usual, that is.   We've been working so hard on Polly Luna. Practica

• 1 month later...

Still here!   :D

I get a little sad after a trip to the Fort (especially when no future visit in on the horizon) and typically avoid things that trigger post-trip-wistfulness. Although we did watch the live-stream of the MK fireworks last night, so I'm thinking my mourning period is at an end. 

Now that it's 2015, I'm thinking of all the other camping trips I need to get booked for the year and of course, all the work Polly Luna needs to be ready for said camping trips. 

So far our spring activities will be:

• Dropping the gas tank and doing a full clean out
  • Rebuilding the bed in the back as some of the wood is rotten from a window leak
  • Repairing or replacing the radiator
  • Figuring out the plumbing situation (we never did test the plumbing because by the time we got to it, it was time to winterize anyhow)

One other item hanging over us requires a pretty serious decision to be made. Our carburetor needs to be replaced, and it's a big investment since if we replaced it we'd be going to an upgraded model. However, since we got Polly we've said that as soon as the engine drops dead we'd be converting to a diesel engine. The engine seems fine, but with the investment in the carb, we're now wondering if we don't just jump into the diesel swap. 

Big decision to be made. 

Still here!   :D

I get a little sad after a trip to the Fort (especially when no future visit in on the horizon) and typically avoid things that trigger post-trip-wistfulness. Although we did watch the live-stream of the MK fireworks last night, so I'm thinking my mourning period is at an end. 

Now that it's 2015, I'm thinking of all the other camping trips I need to get booked for the year and of course, all the work Polly Luna needs to be ready for said camping trips. 

So far our spring activities will be:

• Dropping the gas tank and doing a full clean out
  • Rebuilding the bed in the back as some of the wood is rotten from a window leak
  • Repairing or replacing the radiator
  • Figuring out the plumbing situation (we never did test the plumbing because by the time we got to it, it was time to winterize anyhow)
One other item hanging over us requires a pretty serious decision to be made. Our carburetor needs to be replaced, and it's a big investment since if we replaced it we'd be going to an upgraded model. However, since we got Polly we've said that as soon as the engine drops dead we'd be converting to a diesel engine. The engine seems fine, but with the investment in the carb, we're now wondering if we don't just jump into the diesel swap. 

Big decision to be made.

What diesel motor would you be using?

I get a little sad after a trip to the Fort (especially when no future visit in on the horizon) and typically avoid things that trigger post-trip-wistfulness.

I completely understand that. I think it's why I can never really get a TR off the ground.

Looking forward to seeing where your journey with Polly takes you!  :)

I completely understand that. I think it's why I can never really get a TR off the ground.

Looking forward to seeing where your journey with Polly takes you!  :)

Where ever it takes them I hope we can come along for the "ride"

I do not see a simple carb. replacement/swap as being anywhere near the cost threshold it would take to compare to swapping in a diesel engine. I diesel is no where near as simple as swapping in a different gas engine. There are several items to consider that will significantly add to the cost of the swap.

I am attaching an article that discusses in greater detail some of the challenges you will encounter. Anyways, good luck on which ever route you choose.

Tim

http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/conversion-considerations.html

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...