Polly Luna wakes up! A classic RV build story

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Polly Luna has always had nice lines and now they're even nicer.   The color combination is one of my favorites. Here's one of my creations, notice anything.  

Meet the newest member of our family, Polly Luna, a 1967 Dodge Travco motorhome.       We've always been big fans of vintage vehicles, and before our kids were born we camped in a 1972 VW Contempo ca

Before I dive into this one, I just have to warn you that I might turn up the cheese a bit in the next two updates. A bit more than usual, that is.   We've been working so hard on Polly Luna. Practica

This is going to be a wonderful thread to follow.

Please, please, please, please, keep going with the updates.

And, Good luck & have fun.  This will be an experience that your precious kids will remember, both the rehab and the enjoyment after.

My boss at work started a project like this. He bought a 60 somthing airstream gutted it. Bought new stuff to put in then said the heck with it and bought a brand new camper. He decided he wanted to camp in a camper and not work on a camper. Now his new camper is 4 years old and he wants to finish the airstream. But he won't we have been friends for 15 years I know him.

My boss at work started a project like this. He bought a 60 somthing airstream gutted it. Bought new stuff to put in then said the heck with it and bought a brand new camper. He decided he wanted to camp in a camper and not work on a camper. Now his new camper is 4 years old and he wants to finish the airstream. But he won't we have been friends for 15 years I know him.

It's easy to get overwhelmed and quit!  I think we stick with it because both of us are invested in working at it. If it was just me I would have probably given up the second it rained mouse poop on my head. Luckily, I have a very stubborn and very determined partner in this who got me over the hump. 

The end result will be worth the work. At least, it better be!

True story! :)  Okay, I'll post it. Wasn't going to because I can't stand the sound of my voice, but this does give a good overview of the whole coach. 

The video in question:  http://youtu.be/j3EWnVKCLCw

Everyone does! And I'm glad you posted it. It's your fault for uploading it to youtube. It was suggested to me on the site to watch. 

It's easy to get overwhelmed and quit!  I think we stick with it because both of us are invested in working at it. If it was just me I would have probably given up the second it rained mouse poop on my head. Luckily, I have a very stubborn and very determined partner in this who got me over the hump. 

It will be! Excited to see it. 

Oh I am sure you will finish because you have a date to be at the Fort. The problem with him and me is we are Plumbers we work and repair other peoples broken old stuff all day. So we really don't want to add to it when we get home.

Okay, enough poop. Let's move along to the good stuff. 

Everything had been ripped out of the coach and was laying in a heap in the garage. Now what? Here is where we learned a valuable lesson. Tearing things apart in a fury of disgust is the easy part. Rebuilding, especially when you have a renovation partner with completely opposite ideas to yours is, another thing altogether. 

You see, I've been obsessed with "glampers" lately. Vintage campers that have been redone with bright walls, girly fabrics and cutesy accessories. Invariably the camper will have a pennant banner somewhere. Here is kind of what I had in mind:

caravan3.jpg

Isn't it adorable? 

Predictably, Josh didn't agree. He wanted wood. Wood everywhere. Ceiling, walls, floor. His exact words was that he wanted Polly Luna to "feel like the inside of a sailboat."  Here is essentially what he wanted. 

aedb01959b949ca65366c841b23fbea9.jpg

As you might imagine, we locked horns on this for a while. There was no way I wanted the camper to feel like the inside of an old west saloon. And I'm pretty sure he's allergic to pennant banners. 

Eventually, we both realized that if we didn't compromise, we'd be at the Fort with a camper that contained only kitchen cabinet frames and leftover carpet glue. Didn't sound so comfy. 

We started thinking about our old VW and the vintage surf wagon style. What if we compromised? Bright colors and wood?  It can work.  And so we finally had a direction. Vintage beach wagon. 

First order of business was paint. I had sanded the olive-toned cabinets down to the bare wood before we even removed the walls. The old stain was bumpy and faded. 

photo1_zps5906d2f9.jpg

There is something to be said for these old rigs. Solid wood cabinets, not a piece of particle board insight. Dove tail joinery on the drawers. They really cared about the construction of the Travco. It makes me feel both good about bringing Polly back to life, and sad that to do so we would need to alter her so significantly. 

Josh sent me to the store by myself to pick out the paint color for the cabinets. We had agreed on a blue/green color for the cabinets. Something beachy, something vintage, and maybe a little something crazy. Personally, I think I aced it. Josh didn't comment, so I guess he knows what's good for him. 

The first coat of paint goes on. 

d7f0b122-2776-4d42-91e8-699324656b9d_zps

Yes, it is a little bright. Trust me, my friends, I know what I'm doing. You'll see! Once it's not surrounded by ugly it looks fabulous. 

Okay, so time for some drama. See that blue panel still remaining on the stove side of the cabinets? That sucker did not want to come out. It was committed to its position more than Joan Rivers is committed to plastic surgery. Josh tugged, and tugged, and cursed, and tugged. And finally, it came loose of the wall. 

Bringing with it, the top cabinet. 

It seems that over the years the body had flexed and the screws that once held the upper cabinet to the ceiling had pulled free. Literally the only thing holding up that cabinet were two bolts that had been drilled into the blue wall we were removing. Realizing that was a fun moment, let me tell you.

You can sort of see one of the bolts in this picture. Look inside the bottom shelf. The other screw was just inside the top shelf. 

photo2_zpsbaf3342b.jpg

Yet one more reason we are grateful that we experienced the mouse poopstorm. If we hadn't been determined to rip everything out, we would never have known that the cabinet wasn't safe. Everything happens for a reason, and with these types of projects, one problem always leads to another. 

Next up:  Woody joins the party

Wow, when you said beachy blue-green my mind went to seafoam not not Eddy Grant! I'm curious to see how this turns out!

I had to google Eddy Grant and the first thing that popped up with Electric Avenue. That fits!  :) 

When I say a "beach" theme, think more Frankie and Annette

27616081292_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

than Cape Cod

Surfside-Chic-Nantucket-Donna-Elle-Seasi

Wow, when you said beachy blue-green my mind went to seafoam not not Eddy Grant! I'm curious to see how this turns out!

I had to google Eddy Grant and the first thing that popped up with Electric Avenue. That fits!  :) 

Ho! I thought some folks might not get the reference... can't think of neon colors and Caribbean themes without remembering this LP art eddy_grant-electric_avenueastwest.jpg

We just got home from a full day of working on Polly Luna, so I thought I should post an update or two so I can get you guys caught up to where we are right now. I'll probably have a long-ish video to share tomorrow night. We're nearing a milestone on the rig, but more on that in another update. 

But first, back to that moment in time when our motorhome had no walls or ceiling. That wasn't a fun moment, so we won't hang out there long. 

First things first, we needed a lot of wood. The only vehicle we have that is large enough to haul 4'x8' sheets of wood is, you guessed it, Polly. So Grandma watched the kids and we took off on a little joy ride down to the hardware store. 

image_zps60381218.jpg

The view out the windshield. It was a pretty day. I love riding in Polly, it's just like riding in our old VW, except maybe a bit quieter. 

image_zpsec53c78a.jpg

Eagle eyed folks may have noticed that our windshield wiper is held on by a zip tie. That's some next generation Red Green technology there. Who needs duck tape, zip ties FTW!

We're in and out of the hardware store pretty quick. 

image_zps48c52e8c.jpg

Here is the scary thing about tearing the walls out; we're not exactly great with cutting straight. (Didn't mean to rhyme that, but now that I have, I can't stop repeating it. Has a certain ring to it. I see a Pixar musical in the works featuring down on their luck power tools?)

Anyway, so we had a great idea. We may not be so good at cutting a straight line, but we can trace a line as well as any kindergartener. So we got some clamps, placed the old panels on top of the new wood (1/4" birch) and traced around them with a router. We are genius. 

04959a6f-50a0-48e1-9063-9f896a8535b0_zps

We're not routing the concrete, I swear. We used risers under the wood. 

Test fitting the first piece. Success! 

image_zpsf140f85f.jpg

See all of the bumpy craziness around the windows? There is a thick trim that goes around the windows and will hide that. All of those bumps are original since we traced the panels exactly. Nearly 50 year old mistakes and we made them all over again.

Also, be glad you don't have smell-o-net because that old insulation was P-capital-U.

My littlest and I hang out while daddy cuts more panels. 

image_zpsc8a370e3.jpg

And pretty soon the lawn looks like this. 

image_zpsf394d2dc.jpg

One more test fit for this update.

image_zps8dca30b2.jpg

Next time: I become best friends with a sander

Ok, cool update and all and I love reading along on this adventure....but then you made the MH project look silly by posting that pic of your freakin adorable son!  So....I say add more kid pictures to the next update!   :)

Oh, you have NO idea what you've just unleashed. Next update, I'm going to bring cuteness overload! 

Great update!

Looking forward to more of this renovation.

my DW is even following along so this must be good.

Hello Aaron's DW!   :thumbsup2:  Glad you are here!