Carnival sees end to "cheap" cruises

There are simply too many ships sailing the Caribbean and their rivals are discounting fares substantially.  Carnival could get away with raising prices if they were perceived as a premium cruise line, but I think consumers see them as a budget line, so raising prices will be difficult IMO.

We're spoiled, discount or no discount, DCL is it. They can't do enough for Linda even at the buffet. They take her tray/plate to the table without even being asked and then get her drinks.

...Carnival could get away with raising prices if they were perceived as a premium cruise line, but I think consumers see them as a budget line...

And one with a whole lot of problems lately - on their ships and in terms of PR.  That doesn't bode well for raising prices... "hey we know you keep seeing our ships in the news having problems, but we promise if you pay us more, we'll make them go away"

Carnival could get away with raising prices if they were perceived as a premium cruise line, but I think consumers see them as a budget line, so raising prices will be difficult IMO. 

I will never perceive Carnival as more than a budget line and plan to never sail with them.

I will never perceive Carnival as more than a budget line and plan to never sail with them.

We've sailed on carnival more than any other cruise line. (Approx 8 times). We've always had great food, accommodations, and service. No it's not DCL, RCCL or Princess.

But we liked it better than the one Norwegian cruise we went on. FIL also thought carnival was better than his Norwegian cruise.

I wouldn't dismiss carnival as an option just because it's a "budget line"

We cruised on the Carnival Triumph in 2002.  It is (was?) fairly comparable to the RCCL Grandeur in both size and decor.  I think the food was better on the Grandeur and we definitely had better servers, too.  The Carnival did have the nicer pool area in that it had a 2 story water slide, and the RCCL had nothing extra in the pool area, but did have the climbing wall.  I would rather sail again on RCCL than Carnival.

But would really rather try a DCL :)

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised on the Carnival Triumph in 2002.  It is (was?) fairly comparable to the RCCL Grandeur in both size and decor.  I think the food was better on the Grandeur and we definitely had better servers, too.  The Carnival did have the nicer pool area in that it had a 2 story water slide, and the RCCL had nothing extra in the pool area, but did have the climbing wall.  I would rather sail again on RCCL than Carnival.

But would really rather try a DCL :)

We are the opposite, we had our first cruise on Carnival and the second on RCCL, same itinerary comparable size ships.  We thought the food and service was better on Carnival especially when it came to dealing with my daughters food allergies.  We plan on another Carnival cruise next summer.

We first went on a RCCL cruise and had a good time. Then we went on a DCL cruise and had a great time.

We've since gone on a second DCL cruise, have booked an Alaska cruise for next year, and may go on a cruise this Nov.

We would still do DCL cruises, even if I didn't get the CM rate. 

But, it's just the two of us and money is not really an issue.

If I had a young family, and I had just planted my money tree, I might opt for another cruise line.

We are the opposite, we had our first cruise on Carnival and the second on RCCL, same itinerary comparable size ships.  We thought the food and service was better on Carnival especially when it came to dealing with my daughters food allergies.  We plan on another Carnival cruise next summer.

I am just responding to say, "great to see you here Bill."

We've only ever been on a RCCL cruise. Friends if ours have always sailed on DCL. This past spring break they were going on a cruise with another family. They went on a Carnival Cruise as it worked best for both families. I talked to them after the cruise. They enjoyed it and had no complaints. They are still DCL fans, but it is nice to know the other options are out there. One specific question I had for them was how family friendly was the Carnival cruise during spring break. They said there were no issues that they were aware of during the cruise. This was very reassuring to me.