Automatic Cruise Line tips

My understand, at least on DCL, is that the automatic gratuity is their recommendation, but that you could visit Guest Services prior to the last night of the cruise and adjust that number at your discretion.  I've not had a reason to do so on our two cruises as service was excellent and we actually tipped a bit more, but I remember on DCL being told that.  I don't recall being told the same thing on RCCL. 

I'm not crazy about the automatic tipping. Many years ago they left envelopes in your room to put a tip in and give to the employees. And IMHO the service was better. Now there's not really an incentive for them to give proper service.

T.I.P.= to ensure proper service.

As some you may know I like an occasional beverage. On a Carnival ship, and others, you can buy beverages for your stateroom. And I buy them from a waiter on deck. I tip him very very well and I ask him to find me later for another beverage. And for the rest of the cruise he finds me no matter were I'm at.

I also tip my cabin steward on day one. And ask him to keep my beverages on ice for me.

• 4 weeks later...