I know some folks have mentioned that they have thunder phobic dogs, which can be an even bigger issue if you're camping, since your camper generally isn't as insulated as your house, so I thought I'd share this...

Our border collie Lyn turned 7 in April. Her thunder phobia has gotten worse and worse as she's gotten older - to the point that if it's even raining hard or very windy, you have to put a leash on her and just about drag her out of her crate to go outside to pee.

When I saw the nasty radar yesterday afternoon and what was coming, I went to Petco and got some NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid and a Sentry Pheromone Collar. When I got home I also put Brady's thunder shirt on her (which is too big, but I managed to make it work). Then I pretty much crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

She hung out in her crate with the door open in the corner of the dining room for the duration. We missed the worst of the storms, but it was rumble-y enough that normally she'd have been "done" for the night and we'd have had to haul her outside to pee before bed. 

Instead, when DH got home about an hour or so after the last of the thunder, she bounced over to say "hi" and went out without any trouble. Then she bounced upstairs to get on the bed for her bedtime cookie like normal.

Knowing more storms were forecast for today, we left the thunder shirt and pheromone collar on her all day. I got home just as the thunder was starting. I called her to come outside and she didn't hesitate coming out of her room (already a big deal). I went out with her, just in case, but she happily went outside to pee, even as the thunder was rumbling - actually more than it even was yesterday. She was definitely "concerned" as the thunder rumbled in the distance, but managed to do her thing without freaking out - although she stayed close to me. Then she bounced back in the house, gave me a hug, and took a cookie.

This is H-U-G-E for her! I don't know if it's the combination of the shirt/collar, but I'm sticking with it as long as it seems like it's helping.  We'll know for sure soon, as storms are supposed to continue swirling around tonight and through tomorrow.

Wish us luck!

I'm very familiar with this issue and with as many thunder storms as we get, it's a problem.

Buddy suffers from it, but has gotten a little better as he's gotten older, but Dobby has it real bad. We got him a Thunder Shirt, but it hasn't helped much. I'll have to look into the calming aid and collar.

The Thunder Shirt has helped our retriever with his noise anxiety. He isn't afraid of thunder or fireworks, but doesn't like lawnmowers or car engines. It does seem to work better if you put it on before the event, not during or after the anxiety has set in.

It does seem to work better if you put it on before the event, not during or after the anxiety has set in.

I think that's the key with the other stuff I used too.  I actually left work early when I saw the radar and beat the storm home.

We're under a severe thunderstorm warning again tonight, and more intermittent storms expected tomorrow.  I just doled out the herbal stuff to Brady and Lyn, who is still wearing all her gear.

We're going to find out in a hurry if this combination really helps or not.

INC and I were just talking a short time ago about how lucky we are that our Foofy doesn't suffer from anxiety over noises.  There's some idiots people out back shooting fireworks right now and she is just laying next to INC sleeping like any evening.  

I hope this continues to work for you, Mo.  

Thanks Dave.

Thunder was worse tonight.  Lyn is still chilling in her crate and not completely freaking out, but she didn't want to eat dinner either - poor baby.

Brady dove under the coffee table at one point, but the seems ok.

Getting them to go out one last time before bed is going to be a trick.