From Chip and Co.  This could mean a change for some travel agent and Disney fan sites...

Disney Travel News: New Online Marketing Policy and Guidelines

July 14, 2014 by Keli Comment Here!

Attention: Disney Fans and Travel Agents, Disney has just announced a new online marketing policy and guidelines. While this won’t go into effect until Jan. 1, 2015, start checking disneycopyright.com to make sure your websites, FB Pages, Twitter accounts, Instagrams and other social media outlets are in compliance.

Press Release Below:

For more than nine decades, the name Disney has represented the very best in family entertainment. Today consumers continue to seek out and trust the Disney brand as they plan magical vacations to our destinations around the world.

To protect and maintain the integrity of our brand, we’re implementing a new policy regarding the use of Disney keywords in paid search, domain names, subdomains and URLs. This policy will go into effect Jan. 1, 2015.

The policy, which is being added to the Disneycopyright.com Online Marketing Guidelines, restricts Travel Professionals from bidding on or purchasing keywords that contain Disney trademarks, trade names, service marks or common misspellings.

The policy also restricts Travel Professionals from using Disney trademarks, trade names and service marks in domains as either the destination URL or display URL, or as a subdomain. With online marketing practices continuing to evolve, we feel the time is right to take this necessary step to protect the Disney brand.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2015, you are restricted from using keywords that contain Disney trademarks, trade names or service marks in online paid search advertising, domain names, subdomains and URLs.

Please refer to the Online Marketing Guidelines on Disneycopyright.com for a list of restricted keywords and certain applicable exceptions. If an outside agency handles your advertising campaigns, remember to inform the agency about this new policy.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-travel-news-online-marketing-policy-guidelines-194451/

I wonder how much they'll really police individual FB posts? 

I can see FB pages using the name in their title, but it seems like this is targeted at companies using Disney in their name and/or a prominent tagline, or who are using it in a subdomain on their website where they can scavenge top search rankings.

I wonder how much they'll really police individual FB posts? 

I can see FB pages using the name in their title, but it seems like this is targeted at companies using Disney in their name and/or a prominent tagline, or who are using it in a subdomain on their website where they can scavenge top search rankings.

They are also restrictiing the use of any DIsney Copyrighted images. If it was not shared by certain Disney sources we can not use it. 

This is the VERY reason why we distanced ourselves from the very beginning from the Musket Mickey logo that was first associated with Fort Fiends back when the group was on voldemort and not its own identity (ie: its own forum)

As someone who is a professional search engine marketer, I'd say what they are mainly trying to do is eliminate competition both for paid and organic search, but mainly for paid search.

See, there is very little chance that any agency, no matter how large, will ever outrank the main Disney website if someone is searching for "Disney vacation" or any variation.

However, an agency could, if they have deep enough pockets and a cunning search engine marketer (not unlike myself :))), outbid them on Disney related keywords and artificially rank ahead of them in search engine results.

Disney would then need to pay more for the same keyword than they would if they had no competition. So they are eliminating the competition entirely. Pretty sneaky, but not surprising.

Reading through this, there doesn't seem to be much for anyone to worry about unless they participate in pay per click advertising or have a Disney trademarked word in their URL.