A couple old pics from the Fort

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember on New Years Eve at the Fort two years ago.....after the fireworks on the beach, there were hundreds (it seems) of carts leaving the Settlement area honking their stupid horns.  It went on

I'm thinking this is the construction of the Meadow swimming pool.  It looks like the 1500 loop bus stop way off in the distance.

been gone a week or so, I'll try to start it up again, Wilderness Trail from spring of 1978.

these aren't from the fort but I'm keeping with the same year, 1978

img320_zpsa0856f5e.jpg

Is that your mom sitting right underneath the sign that says "Keep Off the Wreck?"   She is a true Fiend.

I thought this was pretty neat...it's from spring of 1987.  This is the turn around by the settlement depot.  Look at that in the background...is that the train depot?  and of course the cannons are nice too.

img551_zps617267fd.jpg

Wow!

Awesome.

I never knew there was a cannon or artillery carrier out by the Settlement bus stop.

And yes, that is the old train depot.  It was still there into the '90's.  I used to park my golf cart beneath it, never realizing what it was.

Incredible thread.  When was it that they stopped allowing swimming in the lakes?

It was sometime in the late '90's, or perhaps the early 2000's.  The beach on Bay Lake was definitely still open for swimming in the early time of the TCD gang's visits to the Fort.

here's 2 from the spring of 1980

Image22_zps3693beb4.jpg

Wow. An American flag flying from the top of Pioneer Hall! That's not something I've ever personally seen.

Also, there are no yellow poles blocking golf carts from driving right past there.

Image24_zps839f6725.jpg

Cool. You could take a boat to the Polynesian Village Resort.

That was back in the days before the Fort had a pool, and Fort guests were allowed to pool hop.

TCD

Anyone remember when you could buy cap guns at the Pirates ride? They shot little cork balls. And they sold little cannon replicas.

I have a pair of flintlock pistols from the 1700's but I'd really like my old Pirate cap guns back!

you also saw that small little cannon in that playground.  Here is a little bit bigger one in 1989.

img104_zpse055c9c3.jpg

Agreed Dave - that's terrific!!

That just may be the only picture in existence of something like that.  When you think about it, it's remarkable that stryke-force has these pictures at all, considering that in those days you had just 24 or 36 exposures on a roll of film, and most people wouldn't use one to take a pic of the menu board for a breakfast show.  Awesome!  

That just may be the only picture in existence of something like that.  When you think about it, it's remarkable that stryke-force has these pictures at all, considering that in those days you had just 24 or 36 exposures on a roll of film, and most people wouldn't use one to take a pic of the menu board for a breakfast show.  Awesome!

I was thinking the same thing. His dad must have really enjoyed taking pictures and loved the Fort. He was the 35mm version of our digital TCD.

I try to be a "the glass is half full" kind of person, but seeing all of these photos got me to thinking of how much has disappeared from Fort Wilderness in the past 15 years or so.

It's a lot:

1.  Wilderness (meaning the trees and brush that provided privacy in the camping loops)

2. Swimming beach at Bay Lake

3. Musket Mickey

4. Fort Wilderness Railroad

5. The giant log slice at the entrance

6. Discovery Island

7. Wilderness Swamp Trail

8. Marshmallow Marsh.

9. Trams

10. River Country Wagon

11. Cannons

12. Covered wagons and other unique theming at the playgrounds (e.g. the tee-pees at the 300 loop playground).

13. River Country

14. American Flags

15. Totem Poles

16. Hammocks on the Beach

17. The tower on top of Pioneer Hall and the American flag on top of it.

18. Surrey rentals at the Bike Barn.

19. A reasonably priced family breakfast show

20. The petting zoo

And I'm sure there's more.

I know that times change, but look at all that has disappeared. A lot of it from neglect and mismanagement.  And the thing is that these things haven't been replaced.  They're just gone and replaced with nothing.  There used to be a lot more magic at the Fort.

Sad.

TCD

here is some good stuff from spring of 1987

img539_zps7dc48131.jpg

Look at the paddle boats and that dock, that's something else that's no longer there.

img483_zpsc07c1124.jpg

He there isn't any bark on the poles at Pioneer Hall here. I wonder how often they changed them out?

For comparison

another spring of 1978

Image3_zpsae4e8ba9.jpg

WBI

I try to be a "the glass is half full" kind of person, but seeing all of these photos got me to thinking of how much has disappeared from Fort Wilderness in the past 15 years or so.

It's a lot:

1.  Wilderness (meaning the trees and brush that provided privacy in the camping loops)

2. Swimming beach at Bay Lake

3. Musket Mickey

4. Fort Wilderness Railroad

5. The giant log slice at the entrance

6. Discovery Island

7. Wilderness Swamp Trail

8. Marshmallow Marsh.

9. Trams

10. River Country Wagon

11. Cannons

12. Covered wagons and other unique theming at the playgrounds (e.g. the tee-pees at the 300 loop playground).

13. River Country

14. American Flags

15. Totem Poles

16. Hammocks on the Beach

17. The tower on top of Pioneer Hall and the American flag on top of it.

18. Surrey rentals at the Bike Barn.

19. A reasonably priced family breakfast show

20. The petting zoo

And I'm sure there's more.

I know that times change, but look at all that has disappeared. A lot of it from neglect and mismanagement.  And the thing is that these things haven't been replaced.  They're just gone and replaced with nothing.  There used to be a lot more magic at the Fort.

Sad.

TCD

You can also add sailboats to this list. And live entertainment inside trailsend. Plus the paths they no longer let us drive our carts on. Ther is more I am just to tired to think of it.

I'll do the positive side.....

I like the Purple, Orange, and Yellow bus routes better than the old Chip & Dale

I like that every bus now goes directly to the parks vs. the TTC

I like the all concrete premium sites

I like that (for the most part) we no longer share a boat with WL to the Magic Kingdom

I like that there is least a small amount of carryout for breakfast at Trails End

I like the pool slide and the hot tub

I like the kids swim area

I like the Purple, Orange, and Yellow bus routes better than the old Chip & Dale

I like that (for the most part) we no longer share a boat with WL to the Magic Kingdom

I like that there is least a small amount of carryout for breakfast at Trails End

Good points but we don't use the bus and I miss the deeper pool.

I like all of those things too.

But, as Lonestar said, some of them came at a price.  Like the pool renovation- we lost the deep end.  That is a trend throughout the resorts, though, not unique to the Fort.  I do appreciate that the Fort has a hot tub, which only moderate resorts and above have.

As for the premium sites- I like them, but not the price.  And let's not forget that they took away a whole bunch of lesser priced preferred (400, 500, 600, 700, 800 and 1400) and  full hook-up loops (900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300) and made them into premium sites.

The small amount of carry-out at Trail's End is not an improvement.  There used to be a lot more. Plus, there was a reasonably priced al la carte breakfast menu.  You could also get a "to go" container for the buffet, but that had to be shut down because of abuse.

And, all of those good things do not come close to making up for the long list of things that have been lost.

TCD