Rumor: Maelstrom closing - CONFIRMED

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HERE's A SCOOP!  The first picture from the new Frozen ride at Norway:  

I really don't care much either way about this one. Can we fix the one side of "Future" World that completely sucks though? And put in Star Wars Land already? And add to Pixar Place? And redo the fina

Hay now it's a classic and a must do. It's the best ride in World Showcase. It's Atleast in the top 2.

Me too, I didn't see you.

I ran the other direction! :rofl2:

Were you working? My wife and I spent a few hours walking the World Showcase. While Future World seemed pretty crowded, the people seemed slower than usual moving into the World Showcase. It was a nice day, not too packed in the countries. 

I have to wonder if Disney is reaching the saturation point with Frozen.  I know people are still going crazy buying the merchandise, but how much do they invest long term?  For example, the other day my wife went in to see American Adventure.  We got there just as the Voices of Liberty were starting.  Part way through the performance, they mentioned that Disney has many well known songs, and they will sing one of them, "Let It Go" from Frozen.  There was an audible groan from the crowd when that was announced.  The Voices of Liberty did a great job with the song, and there was polite applause afterwards, but I have to wonder if Frozen is getting into too many areas; to the point where people are getting tired of the over exposure. 

I also wonder how they will integrate Frozen into the World Showcase, yet still be able to maintain the purpose and atmosphere of the World Showcase.  What would be next, a Mulan movie in China, Beauty and the Beast replacing the movie in France?  Replacing the show in the Biergarten with a Snow White sing along?

Time will tell, but I just hope this doesn't change Epcot, which over the last several years seems to be losing their direction, much like Hollywood Studios.

I have to wonder if Disney is reaching the saturation point with Frozen.  I know people are still going crazy buying the merchandise, but how much do they invest long term?  For example, the other day my wife went in to see American Adventure.  We got there just as the Voices of Liberty were starting.  Part way through the performance, they mentioned that Disney has many well known songs, and they will sing one of them, "Let It Go" from Frozen.  There was an audible groan from the crowd when that was announced.  The Voices of Liberty did a great job with the song, and there was polite applause afterwards, but I have to wonder if Frozen is getting into too many areas; to the point where people are getting tired of the over exposure. 

I also wonder how they will integrate Frozen into the World Showcase, yet still be able to maintain the purpose and atmosphere of the World Showcase.  What would be next, a Mulan movie in China, Beauty and the Beast replacing the movie in France?  Replacing the show in the Biergarten with a Snow White sing along?

Time will tell, but I just hope this doesn't change Epcot, which over the last several years seems to be losing their direction, much like Hollywood Studios.

This so much. 

While we did go to the Frozen meet and great when we were there in January it was still very much Norway with a little bit of Frozen. I have always loved that Epcot is not very Disney-ish. It has all the perks of Disney, the cleanliness and the amazing service but it's not super character-y. We love the world showcase and I would be sad to see that changed. I really hope they aren't closing down Malstrom to change it, sure some upgrades would be great but please don't change it into Frozen. 

You have to stick with it long enough for TCD or DIT to come harass you while you are trying to work.  

Them harass me, you've got that backwards, don't you?

I just hope this doesn't change Epcot

I hope it does. Epcot needs a big change. Like me, it's old and tired.

We love the world showcase and I would be sad to see that changed.

I find all the attractions inside the pavilions at the WS boring and in need of an upgrade.

They've added and changed some of the restaurants, but the WS is basically the same as it was when it first opened.

I really hope they aren't closing down Malstrom to change it, sure some upgrades would be great but please don't change it into Frozen. 

Bring in the wrecking ball and smash that antiquated monstrosity to pieces. Give us something better. Maelstrom needs to go.

I hope it does. Epcot needs a big change. Like me, it's old and tired.

I find all the attractions inside the pavilions at the WS boring and in need of an upgrade.

They've added and changed some of the restaurants, but the WS is basically the same as it was when it first opened.

Bring in the wrecking ball and smash that antiquated monstrosity to pieces. Give us something better. Maelstrom needs to go.

Absolutely, don't disagree a bit.  We spend our time watching the movie in France wondering how many of the people are dead, or how old the children are now.  Maelstrom is a form of aroma therapy for me, bringing me back to my childhood days of rummaging through my parents damp basement.  The countries have changed very little, although Italy and Morocco have new restaurants and the American Adventure has a new bathroom.  

All of that said, the concept is still good.  We enjoy walking through the shops, and find the World Showcase a very pleasant place to be and enjoy.  While they need updating, I would hate to see the World Showcase become the Disney Franchise Showcase.  No problem with integrating it to some degree, but don't have it dominate the scene, like Frozen is starting to do now. 

Now as far as you being old and tired, I'll reserve comment; especially since I may not be that far off of your age.  :clint:

From the Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia on facebook....

The international program Cast Members at the Norway Pavilion have been informed that attractions and merchandise positions at the pavilion will not exist beyond the end of September. CM's with contracts in October and beyond are being offered transfers and training in Food/Beverage. Recruitment for Fall/Winter attractions/merchandise has been canceled. 

DisneyQuestions.com is reporting today that it is official that the ride will be closing.  http://www.disneyquestions.com/im-visiting-end-september-maelstrom-fastpass-choice-disney-website-maelstrom-going-closed/

Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

DisneyQuestions.com is reporting today that it is official that the ride will be closing.  http://www.disneyquestions.com/im-visiting-end-september-maelstrom-fastpass-choice-disney-website-maelstrom-going-closed/

Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

My sources tell me that this whole ruse of Maelstrom closing and being rethemed as a Frozen ride is nothing more than a shameful attempt by Disney to drum up interest in a movie that was a huge box office flop and gets no attention. 

DisneyQuestions.com is reporting today that it is official that the ride will be closing.  

Well if "DisneyQuestions.com" is saying that it's closing, I would bet the farm on it being true. After all, Cassie, the all knowing WDW expert, says, and I quote, "attended Walt Disney World in 1971, and was there during the opening week of EPCOT, and have visited the Disney Parks more than 30 times".

Attended WDW, what the heck is that? And holy crap, she's been to WDW 30 times, how are we supposed to compete with all that knowledge?

And on top of that, she now has cast members in her family and enjoys hearing the magical stories at the end of their shifts. Again, wow, just wow. I wish I had CMs in my family.

I didn't think that site would state it as fact if it was still unconfirmed, but apparently they did.   :naughtywave:

Just for fun, i used the "chat" feature on the wdw website to ask a "cast member" if it were closing.  I wish I had copied the answers "Andy" gave me.  It was obvious that English was not his first language.  He did assure me that Maelstrom is not listed has getting refurbished at this "instant time" but that it could close at any time.

I'm glad that CM assured you. If only we had CMs on FF.Net that you could ask.

hey, i said it was just for fun.

I am assuming that if you had certain knowledge, you would share it with us.  Because you know this is driving me crazy!!  :panic:

Well if "DisneyQuestions.com" is saying that it's closing, I would bet the farm on it being true. After all, Cassie, the all knowing WDW expert, says, and I quote, "attended Walt Disney World in 1971, and was there during the opening week of EPCOT, and have visited the Disney Parks more than 30 times".

Attended WDW, what the heck is that? And holy crap, she's been to WDW 30 times, how are we supposed to compete with all that knowledge?

And on top of that, she now has cast members in her family and enjoys hearing the magical stories at the end of their shifts. Again, wow, just wow. I wish I had CMs in my family.

Will someone please send Lou a case of Bran Flakes... STAT!

Just for fun, i used the "chat" feature on the wdw website to ask a "cast member" if it were closing.  I wish I had copied the answers "Andy" gave me.  It was obvious that English was not his first language.  He did assure me that Maelstrom is not listed has getting refurbished at this "instant time" but that it could close at any time.

LOL - I'm sure that was a very entertaining conversation.

As for official?  I got nuthin' at this instant time.  8)

Lou, is it closing?

I've posted everything that I've been able to find on the HUB regarding Maelstrom.

I am assuming that if you had certain knowledge, you would share it with us.  

Let's just say that you always know what I know, even if it doesn't come from me, right Mo?.

Will someone please send Lou a case of Bran Flakes... STAT!

Exactly what would Bran Flakes do for me?

As for official?  I got nuthin' at this instant time. 

And that's that.