Pets in a Non-Pet Loop

They do ask if they will have a pet when I make a reservation for someone. They also note it on the reservation and even when I checked in the for my recent stay the CM mentioned we were in a pet loop but was concerned because we had a pup and she was worried about our ac. Also I did sign a form and had to pay the fee for having a pet with me. 

No such thing.  Have you seen some people's posts counts?  :rofl2:

As for your pup... I would say book/request the site level/type you need, in this case a pet loop. 

And yes you're right, 100 and 200 are not pet loops.  300 is the only Preferred Pet.

There are folks that request non-pet loops for different reasons - everything from allergies, to fear of dogs, to... you name it.  They get annoyed enough when people with pets are assigned there, even legitimately by Disney.  Yes there's a chance Disney may still plunk you in 100 or 200 anyway, but in the interest of consideration for the people that aren't looking to camp with other people's pets, I wouldn't push it.

Just my 2 cents.

Our daughter has a HUGE fear of dogs.  Big or small.  Unfortunately there was a large black dog in the 100 loop with us in May.  Fortunately, the owners were good pet owners and the dog was a good animal (did not approach us...which would have been hard as Boo walked waaayyyy on the other side of the road, as far as she could get from the dog, walking as quickly as she could...poor thing); the dog was by the owner's side the entire time and never barked.  I did ask a CM about the animal, but the gal was from housekeeping and didn't have much information.  Had the dog been a problem, we would have gone to Disney...but (for us) the key is to be a good pet owner.  Your little pup is cute and small, but would still scare the crap out of Bailey if it ran up to her, so just make sure to be a good pet owner...which I'm sure you are ;)

They do ask if they will have a pet when I make a reservation for someone. They also note it on the reservation and even when I checked in the for my recent stay the CM mentioned we were in a pet loop but was concerned because we had a pup and she was worried about our ac. Also I did sign a form and had to pay the fee for having a pet with me. 

You're reinforcing what we already know and can agree on, that there are pet friendly loops.

And that sometimes through the rez and or check in process, it's made known to Disney, that they charge you extra, that maybe you'll have to sign a form, that they'll try to assign you to a site classified as a pet friendly loop if there are sites available. That's fine, no disagreement.

I'm questioning, rhetorically of course because we all know the answer, the existence of non-pet loops.

Should people who don't want to be around dogs expect to not be put in a pet loop or to not have dogs in a loop that is not classified as a pet loop?

They may ask if you have a dog when making the rez, but do they ask, are you ok with staying in a loop with dogs?

I agree with Mo that the Fort shot themselves in the foot by saying that there are pet friendly loops to begin with.

People have come to expect and assume that if there are pet friendly loops, then the rest must be non-pet loops.

Should people who don't want to be around dogs expect to not be put in a pet loop or to not have dogs in a loop that is not classified as a pet loop?

Right now, I think there's sufficient information "out there" that they do.  Should they?  These days probably not. 

However I'd like to think that those of us who bother to roam around the interwebz to find this kind of info. will respect the fact that there is currently that expectation out there, and there has been for some time now. And for the most part, except for the particularly busy times of year, Disney doesn't put pets in non-pet loops willy nilly, as there's no reason to with the number of pet loops available, so it's not like this has become their m.o. ...yet.

I do think there may come a time when the whole "pet loop" thing just goes away and the Fort is considered a pet friendly resort period.  (Not debating the merits of that one way or the other - that belongs on the debate board.  8) ) Until then, personally I'm staying out of the non-pet loops just out of consideration for others, and because I have plenty of other great loops to pick from and don't feel like pet owners are getting the short end of the stick in any way (pun totally intended).

They may ask if you have a dog when making the rez, but do they ask, are you ok with staying in a loop with dogs?

I don't really know - as we always answer "yes" to the dog question - but I'd imagine they do not.  And given that they assign people without pets to pet loops all the time, maybe they should.  But then I would also imagine they're relying on the fact that people with a specific request (whatever it may be) give them- including asking to not be in a pet loop if that's what they'd prefer.

This is a very interesting discussion and for my part, have drawn the following conclusion to my original post/question.  As with any ethical matter there are always multiple sides to the story. While someone new to the fort might be unaware that there is a distinction between pet and non-pet loops, those of us who have been in the past are aware of the difference...and "knowing" is half the battle.  So, for me, it seems to make the most sense to stick to requesting a site in a pet loop, if for no other reason then out of respect for the people who do not want to be around pets. But I agree with you guys - - - Disney needs to get clear on the policy, and then enforce it.

I'll be curious to see if I am plunked down in a non-pet loop again by Disney, despite the disclosure of a pet on my reservation.

- - - Disney needs to get clear on the policy, and then enforce it.

Completely agree.  Unfortunately with all the things Disney does VERY well, those 2 aren't on the list. 

Thanksgiving week is one of the times when I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting folks with pets pretty much anywhere and everywhere.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm a responsible dog owner and my dog is well trained. Now on the other hand I've had to listen to screaming and crying kids and kids running up on my site and I don't complain about that. So I think that my dog should be able to be with me where ever our site is. I consider my dog my child as do a lot of pet owners.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm a responsible dog owner and my dog is well trained. Now on the other hand I've had to listen to screaming and crying kids and kids running up on my site and I don't complain about that. So I think that my dog should be able to be with me where ever our site is. I consider my dog my child as do a lot of pet owners.

The problem is that for every responsible pet owner, there seems to be at least one idiot pet owner.  In my experience the idiots outnumber the responsible owners.  Especially at the Fort.

I'm not a big fan of screaming kids either, but I've never stepped in kid crap, or been camped next to anyone who went off to the parks all day and left his kid in the trailer screaming his head off all day and annoying the neighbors.  Nor, have I seen a kid chained to a picnic table making noise for hours while its owners were who knows where.

That's what all the fuss is about.

Because of the idiots, you need to keep your dog where they tell you.

TCD

Let's stir this up just a wee bit.  There are non-pet loops.  2 of them.  (maybe)  1500 and 2000.  You can have a pet in a pop up at Fort Wilderness but not in a partial loop.  That should make it a non pet loop.  Now here's the catch.. Does that also apply to a smaller trailer in one of those loops?

Let's stir this up just a wee bit.  There are non-pet loops.  2 of them.  (maybe)  1500 and 2000.  You can have a pet in a pop up at Fort Wilderness but not in a partial loop.  That should make it a non pet loop.  Now here's the catch.. Does that also apply to a smaller trailer in one of those loops?

Let's stir it up a lot.  You're at the Fort more than any of us.  I'm sure, like me, you see dogs in the 1500 and 2000 loops all the time.

If there are rules, Disney doesn't enforce them.  So, there's not a whole lot of reason to speculate about what they would allow with a small trailer.  I've seen people in tents have dogs at their sites.  Lots of people in pop-up campers with dogs too.  Is that against the rules?  Who knows.  Where are the rules?

TCD

Supposedly 1500 and 2000 are not designated pet loops, regardless of what you're camping in.

Again supposedly (and according to information that has previously been distributed widely, and still continues to live on places like here), it's the loop you're in that matters first and then what you're camping in (i.e., tent, popup, hard-side camper, etc.)

But then the rules regarding pets in popups have been all over the place for years.  If you call the Fort 3 times you're likely to get 3 different answers, and the info on the website has changed repeatedly, or just been missing altogether.

When we got our hybrid in 2006, we were one of only a few at the Fort and there was confusion and debate for a few years about if our hybrid qualified as a popup or hard-side camper, and therefore was it ok for us to have dogs in it.  Disney never officially came down on the matter one way or another (again, see call 3 times...) and we always camped with our dogs in ours, in a pet loop.

It would be nice if Disney just came up with a reasonable pet policy, spelled it out clearly, and enforced it.

But then we can say that about all kinds of vague "rules" at the Fort, and even some of the ones already in writing.

One of the things (supposedly) for having a pet in your abode is it must have AC.  This brings up the question of an AC being put into a tent.   hmmm   I would also guess that a canvas wall can be scratched through and allow more noise than a hard-side trailer, which could be a factor.  How this changes by putting a pop up into another loop and being acceptable I don't know.  The thing is I don't KNOW of anything written that explains any of this.  (see above 3 times asking the same question of 3 castmembers)

And honestly, "anything goes" would work if the knuckleheads didn't outnumber the responsible people by a wide margin - that sadly seems to get wider all the time.

Heck we probably wouldn't even be having a discussion about "pet / non-pet" loops if most of us here hadn't had experience with a knucklehead pet owner or 2 over the years.

Ultimately I don't give a rat's patootie where you bring your dog, or if you have 12 of them in your RV - as long as I'm not stepping in their poop, listening to them bark night and day, or dealing with any unsocialized "happy to eat you" behaviors.

Unfortunately because some people don't get it, or just think they're entitled to do whatever the heck they want and everyone else can pound sand, we have to have designated areas and "rules" - even though they're not enforced, which just serve to tick off the responsible people because the knuckleheads don't follow them anyway.

One of the things (supposedly) for having a pet in your abode is it must have AC.  This brings up the question of an AC being put into a tent.   hmmm   I would also guess that a canvas wall can be scratched through and allow more noise than a hard-side trailer, which could be a factor.  How this changes by putting a pop up into another loop and being acceptable I don't know.  The thing is I don't KNOW of anything written that explains any of this.  (see above 3 times asking the same question of 3 castmembers)

You actually bring up a whole other issue that I'm not sure Disney has ever really tried to address - pet safety.  It's one thing to have rules so that your pets don't annoy your neighbors, it's another thing entirely to make sure people aren't being total asshats and putting their pets at risk.

Great post!  And you hit the nail on the head- if there's nothing written down as official policy, then why even bother asking a CM?  All you would get by asking is their opinion.  And you know what they say about opinions.

And honestly, "anything goes" would work if the knuckleheads didn't outnumber the responsible people by a wide margin - that sadly seems to get wider all the time.

Heck we probably wouldn't even be having a discussion about "pet / non-pet" loops if most of us here hadn't had experience with a knucklehead pet owner or 2 over the years.

Ultimately I don't give a rat's patootie where you bring your dog, or if you have 12 of them in your RV - as long as I'm not stepping in their poop, listening to them bark night and day, or dealing with any unsocialized "happy to eat you" behaviors.

Unfortunately because some people don't get it, or just think they're entitled to do whatever the heck they want and everyone else can pound sand, we have to have designated areas and "rules" - even though they're not enforced, which just serve to tick off the responsible people because the knuckleheads don't follow them anyway.

Best post of the day!

I would give you two up arrows for it if I could.

I love dogs.  But, I hate idiot dog owners.  When I'm at the Fort, I prefer not to step in crap or listen to some dog yap all day when it has been left alone by its idiot owner.  So, when I don't have my dog along, I'd rather be in a dog free loop.

TCD

You actually bring up a whole other issue that I'm not sure Disney has ever really tried to address - pet safety.  It's one thing to have rules so that your pets don't annoy your neighbors, it's another thing entirely to make sure people aren't being total asshats and putting their pets at risk.

I have the solution...it is perfect and fair (though perhaps not easily enforced as its content might be viewed as seriously subjective).  Eliminate pet/non-pet loops and instead begin asshat/non-asshat loops or idiot/idiot free loops.

The idiots can all stay in one loop together. Would that work? :smartass: :rofl2:

Great post!  And you hit the nail on the head- if there's nothing written down as official policy, then why even bother asking a CM?  All you would get by asking is their opinion.  And you know what they say about opinions.

Best post of the day!

I would give you two up arrows for it if I could.

I love dogs.  But, I hate idiot dog owners.  When I'm at the Fort, I prefer not to step in crap or listen to some dog yap all day when it has been left alone by its idiot owner.  So, when I don't have my dog along, I'd rather be in a dog free loop.

TCD

This is how I feel too and also why we don't bring out dog. It's not fair for the dogs to be left alone so long, and they BARK.

I have the solution...it is perfect and fair (though perhaps not easily enforced as its content might be viewed as seriously subjective).  Eliminate pet/non-pet loops and instead begin asshat/non-asshat loops or idiot/idiot free loops.

The idiots can all stay in one loop together. Would that work? :smartass: :rofl2:

That would work!