Ok. Most of you know we don't have an RV but I'm trying to talk DW into buying one.

So we are talking about what type of rv we would like to have. And she asked would a fifth wheel, travel trailer, class A, or class C be easy for us to drive? If we bought a Class A or C we would need to tow a car.

She also

Asked how far/ how many hours could we comfortably travel in one day.

I know this is a very tough question to answer as there are a lot of variables.

So in a perfect world were money, schedules, kids, and time wasn't a issue what would you

own and how many hours a day would travel in it?

Remember there is no right answer.

Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we were in the Keys a few years ago there was a couple in the CG that had 4 (count 'em) 4 rescued greyhounds.  I asked what size rig did they have with those four big dogs. They said a 33 foot Cl

OK. I guess it's time to come clean. For the last 13 years we've been in a MH and in July we went to look at the new SENECA since I am one who does not want a class "A" for numerous reasons. The pri

What id like to do is keep the bottom bunk as a bed for DD and make the tip bunk into a bar. Now only if I knew anyone that did that to there bunk beds and I could see a picture of it?

Well, do you have need of a pickup truck? How about a real beefy pickup? If yes to the former, then a TT might be in order, if the later, perhaps a 5er. I don't much care for the cabins of the Cs I've sat in, so, IMO, if you don't need a pickup a class A is the easy choice. If an A, I would certainly be disposed to add a tandem-tow, and a cart, and a smallish dinghy (but one big enough to tow the tandem-tow and cart if we ever got into a situation). That said, I really like our Tundra-TT combo. Drives nice, and pretty cheap. No cart, though.

Oh, and if don't drive more than 9-10 hours anymore, if I can help it.

ETA: A TT, especially a long TT is about the hardest to drive, especially backing. They also involve a lot of setup and are the bounciest even when setup. Class As are probably the easiest.

I go along with the 10 hours driving time per day. I also don't exceed 55 mph.

In a perfect world I would have Dave and Linda's class A and stay for four months at a time at The Fort.

The class A would come with the rig they use to tow their cart and car as well.

I would drive up to 17-18 hours.....especially on the way home.

It's actually a "Super C" and I must be getting "really old" 6/7 hrs and I'm parked for the day..

We started with a 25 ft TT, went to a 27 ft Class C, and now we have a 33 ft Class A with 2 slides. We flat tow a Honda CRV. We like being able to just get out of our seats & go back to the living area without going outside. I'd like to go a little longer & DW would like to go a little shorter so this is a compromise. It's large enough to live in for 3 or 4 months at a time in the winter but not so large that I'm afraid to drive it.

One thing about the Ford Class C cab/chassis: DW did not like the passenger side seating area, specifically the foot well. The dog house really intrudes into the passenger foot space so check that out if you look at Class Cs. 

We'll drive about 8 to 10 hours a day. 

Have fun looking.  We never get tired of looking at RVs. We can't wait for the big Hershey RV show next month.

We started with a nice size truck and a 30 foot travel trailer.  Then DH got the dually.  And then he decided he wanted the 5er.  Don't look at me, I wanted a pop up.  However, now that we have the 5er, I can't imagine staying for longer than a weekend in anything else. It is nicer than any apartment I had as a young adult.  We travel about 10-12 hours a day when going to Disney.  Everything else has been within 4 hours.

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

I'm in the 9-10 hour club too, but that's with our current setup towing a TT and because our one long trip is to the Fort and we're just trying to get there as quickly as possible to maximize our time there.

If time wasn't a factor, I'd say 6-8 hours would be nice.

Ideally I think we'd want a MH towing a car.  DH would rather a Class A but I'd probably want something easier to maneuver/park.  If we didn't have dogs (or at least not 3) I'd lean towards a B+ or not terribly huge C with a nicely placed slide or 2.

If we didn't have dogs (or at least not 3) I'd lean towards a B+ or not terribly huge C with a nicely placed slide or 2.

When we were in the Keys a few years ago there was a couple in the CG that had 4 (count 'em) 4 rescued greyhounds.  I asked what size rig did they have with those four big dogs. They said a 33 foot Class A, same as mine. I asked where do they sleep & the reply was, wherever they want to. I can't imagine.   

We have had TT, C and we now have an A.  I really like the A and towing a dingy.  How much driving per day depends on where we are heading.  To the fort we will drive 16-18 hours.  But normally no more than 12 hours in a day.  I want to get there and spend as much time as possible on vacation and then head home.

When we were in the Keys a few years ago there was a couple in the CG that had 4 (count 'em) 4 rescued greyhounds.  I asked what size rig did they have with those four big dogs. They said a 33 foot Class A, same as mine. I asked where do they sleep & the reply was, wherever they want to. I can't imagine.   

On the plus side, greyhounds are the world's biggest couch potatoes, as opposed to my can't-sit-still, constantly-under-foot, flinging-toys-around, using-furniture-as-trampolines crew.  But I still can't imagine that much dog in that small a space. 

We used to have a 21' hybrid. With 3 border collies.  2 of which were only 2 years old when we started. For 3 weeks. Now THAT was interesting.  :rofl2:

OK. I guess it's time to come clean.

For the last 13 years we've been in a MH and in July we went to look at the new SENECA since I am one who does not want a class "A" for numerous reasons. The primary one being I want something between me and the bumper besides the windshield. Well for numerous reasons we did not like any of them. Then we spotted a new FW floorplan from JAYCO and when Grandma walked in her reaction was the same as when she first sat in our current SENECA, "SOLD". So now have an order in for a new JAYCO PINNACLE that we will have for our Jan trip to the FORT. There is a very slim possibility that we will have it for October. We had 2 FW prior to the MH's so it will not be a new experience.

Here is Grandma's new retirement home, but with a lighter material on the furniture.

http://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-wheels/2015-pinnacle/38flsa/

And to answer your question Ray we've had a wide variety of units, starting with a pop-up and we don't regret any of the purchasess. The biggest reason for the new change is because when we bought the SENECA we knew we would be doing many 2-4 week trips, but never knew we would be doing 3 month trips so the additional space will almost be like home since we only use 4 rooms out of 7 when we are home. As far as getting a MH and towing a car any front wheel drive car is towable with a dolly, so depending on what kind of car you have at home that may be a wash.

The things to really look at are how much space do you need to be comfortable and how long will the trips be in duration and what are you comfortable driving? I have a CDL so it really doesn't matter and Linda has never towed or driven any of them.

And as I said earlier I don't travel much over 350 miles a day and haven't for many, many years, but I have always been fortunate enough to have the vac time (and now we're on permanent vacation) to not have to rush.

Good luck in your decision making.

We have had TT, C and we now have an A.  I really like the A and towing a dingy.  How much driving per day depends on where we are heading.  To the fort we will drive 16-18 hours.  But normally no more than 12 hours in a day.  I want to get there and spend as much time as possible on vacation and then head home.

We are with you, drive 16 hours then sleep for a bit at rest area then head on into the fort. We also have a class A. It makes a more comfortable drive. We like being able to make something to eat & it's also nice having a bathroom.

In a perfect world I would have Dave and Linda's class A and stay for four months at a time at The Fort.

The class A would come with the rig they use to tow their cart and car as well.

I would drive up to 17-18 hours.....especially on the way home.

They have a Super C... and so do we. But I have Super C envy with them because they have the top of the line version. 

For the last 13 years we've been in a MH and in July we went to look at the new SENECA since I am one who does not want a class "A" for numerous reasons. The primary one being I want something between me and the bumper besides the windshield. Well for numerous reasons we did not like any of them. Then we spotted a new FW floorplan from JAYCO and when Grandma walked in her reaction was the same as when she first sat in our current SENECA, "SOLD". So now have an order in for a new JAYCO PINNACLE that we will have for our Jan trip to the FORT. There is a very slim possibility that we will have it for October. We had 2 FW prior to the MH's so it will not be a new experience.

Here is Grandma's new retirement home, but with a lighter material on the furniture.

And to answer your question Ray we've had a wide variety of units, starting with a pop-up and we don't regret any of the purchasess. The biggest reason for the new change is because when we bought the SENECA we knew we would be doing many 2-4 week trips, but never knew we would be doing 3 month trips so the additional space will almost be like home since we only use 4 rooms out of 7 when we are home. As far as getting a MH and towing a car any front wheel drive car is towable with a dolly, so depending on what kind of car you have at home that may be a wash.

The things to really look at are how much space do you need to be comfortable and how long will the trips be in duration and what are you comfortable driving? I have a CDL so it really doesn't matter and Linda has never towed or driven any of them.

And as I said earlier I don't travel much over 350 miles a day and haven't for many, many years, but I have always been fortunate enough to have the vac time (and now we're on permanent vacation) to not have to rush.

I just followed the link. One of those has a theater room.... Are you kidding!??!?!?

We used to have a 21' hybrid. With 3 border collies.  2 of which were only 2 years old when we started. For 3 weeks. Now THAT was interesting.  :rofl2:

Like I said, I can't imagine.  It would drive me to drink.  :wine: Oh wait, I guess that would make me a Fiend.  BTW, the DW & I have started looking at B+'s with an eye to the future & here's one we really like.  It has a Murphy bed in the slide.  Just right for a couple. http://www.leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans.html#anchor

OK, so here's my opinion... with a kid, something giving them a real bed (not a pull out sofa) is easier. It gives them their own space, including space to put their stuff. Some Class As have that... all Class Cs have that... and some trailers and 5th wheels do. 

We ended up with a Super C because it has high ceilings and room like a Class A but has the front bunk to give kids a place of their own. First it was my stepdaughter, and now Z sleeps there. 

Of course, since ALL kids love it, we are often the "hang out" for movies in the tailgate lot at the GA games, but we love that too. 

Nice!